PDA

View Full Version : travelite or gig bag for flying

jaco
Sep-16-2005, 9:47am
I'm getting ready to fly from Florida to Wyoming and not sure if the new travelite case I got will fit in the overhead storage. if not will a Boulder gig bag do the trick without risking injury. Bringing a Flatiron Festival as I don't think I can go a week without. Thanks, Mike

Jim M.
Sep-16-2005, 9:59am
Unles you're flying in a really small plane, the Travelite should fit fine. It's not that much thicker than a hardshell case. And I'd recommend the Travelite unless you can be sure that some oaf isn't going to cram an overstuffed garment bag on top of the gig bag. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

ira
Sep-16-2005, 10:13am
my friend- please do not put your instrument in a gig bag into a plane compartment. too much shoving, too much movement, too many risks. travelite should do just fine.

Ted Eschliman
Sep-16-2005, 10:58am
I'm with Ira. I have a VERY plush Levy's bag I frequently use for my Ovation, which is built for abuse (and I mean that in more ways than one...), but the Travelite and even the Rigel rectangular case fit conveniently even in the small Regional Prop jets.
Go with the extra protection.

mandowilli
Sep-16-2005, 6:11pm
Forget the gig bag! I had my flatiron festival F in a really nice reunion blues gig bag up in the compartment and along comes mister traveler with way too much carry on stuff, who thinks that he can cram it in the only remaining overhead space which happens to be on top of my insrument. Actually, it would be better to have the instrument in a good hard case and to let all of the others fill the overhead compartment so that your mandloin won't go flying around freely in turbulence.

Jim Garber
Sep-16-2005, 8:48pm
I took my Flatiron in its hard case on the plane to Portland, Oregon from NY a few years ago. I had a double tennis bag which I used as my one carryon. The mandolin fit nicely in one compartment of the bag and I had some pockets for reading material etc.The whole thing fit easily in the overhead.

I would not fly with only a gig bag. Besides the tennis bag was relatively inexpensive -- I do actually play tennis as well.

Jim

BigJoe
Sep-17-2005, 12:01am
You risk great damage to your mandolin with a gig bag. They are ok for limited local use, but every time you put the mandolin in there you are at risk. Like many others, I learned the hard way. The Travelite bag fits nicely in the overhead and is easy to carry through the airports. The Gator case is a bit smaller and the same concept and about the same price. Either will work fine. I have flown many times with the Travelite with my distressed Master Model in it. Not many cases I would do that with!

Jim Garber
Sep-17-2005, 6:52am
Sorry, I was not completerly clear: The mandolin fit nicely in its hard case in one compartment of the tennis bag. This worked out very well and certainly protected the instrument.

Jim

jaco
Sep-17-2005, 8:01am
Thanks to all for the learned advice. I'm sure I've saved some heartache from the experience you all have shared. This really is a community. Mike

earthsave
Sep-17-2005, 10:59am
Travelite or hard case. My hard case is considerably smaller than the Travelite, so I'd probably take it on a plane. Never a gig bad though, they aint much more than a fancy sack.