PDA

View Full Version : Stringing question, new to octave

crash2
Apr-11-2021, 6:21am
Hi, I have a new to me Trinity octave, I have only played mando.

The g course strings seem loose or soft. They are a new set of ddarios ej80. I have to somewhat baby them so they won't slap. It's not fret buzz. I'm sure about the tuning.

Is this common? Do you have to play that way? Would a lighter or heavier gauge be an option?

Thanks much

Rossjcw
Apr-11-2021, 6:39am
Hi,
In my own opinion (not being an octave player, but playing mandolin and having a lot of experience working on guitars) I’d say you want a slightly heavier gauge on there ... either that or the action on the G string(s) is too low. But I’m sure there are others on the forum that know more about octave mandolin string gauges than me.

At a guess, if you want my 2 cents, I’d say you want something between a .42 and .52 depending on the scale length of your instrument.
Reading up on the internet tells me this is a 20” scale so Again I’d guess that you want about a .47 on the low Gs. I haven’t seen the instrument and I’ll be the first to admit that what I said was slightly informed guesswork so I could be 100% wrong but I’m sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I really hope that helps at the very least.
-Ross

mondoslug
Apr-11-2021, 6:52am
Greetings,

A friend of mine just bought a Northfield Archtop Octave, although a different build from yours and a longer scale at 22", their sets are a little bolder than the EJ80s.

Archtop [Loop end] String Gauges: .052w .034w .022w .014

Flat Top [Ball end] String Gauges: .050w .032w .022w .014

crash2
Apr-11-2021, 8:06am
Thanks, good info. I will try moving up, the. 046s might just be too light. Have a good one....

poul hansen
Apr-11-2021, 8:09am
Please report back I just bought an octave with unknown strings and EJ80 as backup

What is your scale length?

crash2
Apr-11-2021, 10:45am
20 3/8 I think. Gonna try .048 from emando. I just don't want to be so shy about digging into the g course, but again I'm new. It could be me.

Tim Logan
Apr-11-2021, 11:04am
My first OM was a Trinity and I had no string issues. You should not have to 'fight' with any string on this OM in my experience. I don't think that .46 will be too light at all. I hope you quickly find the remedy.

Dave Sheets
Apr-11-2021, 4:13pm
I have used heavier strings (a mandola set) on a trinity octave mandolin. It worked a lot better for me.

crash2
Apr-16-2021, 6:40am
I have used heavier strings (a mandola set) on a trinity octave mandolin. It worked a lot better for me.

This is what I've ended up with as well, I think it runs 14, 23, 34, 49 (rather than 12 22 32 46) I like the way the G plays much better. The slop is gone.

Thanks everyone for the help.