PDA

View Full Version : Kimble F5

JimRichter
Sep-14-2005, 11:03pm
I'd had a few different people asking to see some pictures of my recently obtained Kimble F5. Let it be said that I really, really liked my Kimble 2-point. But, I'm a sucker for an F5. This is one that I talked to Will about awhile back (around the time I was getting my 2 point) when he got it back from a friend, but Will had it dog-eared for Alan Perdue of IIIrd Tyme Out. Alan had it for about 6 months and then it was returned to Will. Will now has my 2 point (not for sale--it's now Will's mandolin, as it was before), and I've got this F5.

It's #18 and the 2nd F that Will made. Will also says it's one of the most Gibson sounding of the F5s he's made (red spruce top, hard rock maple back and sides). One of his most recent F5s--a Fern made for Mark Daly--is also very Gibson sounding (as noted by Mike Compton in his online journal). It's an early F, but you can see why Will was pushed to the front of the pack of up and coming luthiers even so few mandolins into his career.

I've got beyond making a big deal about my mandolins, since I've been through so many. Can't say I'm going to keep this one forever, as much as I would like to. What I can say, is that I'm a loyal part of the Kimble fold, and if I get another mandolin, it'll be a Kimble. I'll just trade up for a "new and improved" model--especially considering how good that Aug. 04 2 point mando was.

The link below will take you to some pictures of it, as well as some audio/video. I've begun videotaping myself at home to study my right hand, so that's where the video comes from. Even through the cheap on board cam mic, you can hear the balance of the mando. The audio files are the same audio from the video.

For those who don't know, Tanyards is a Bill Monroe instrumental, but never recorded by him personally. Butch Robins recorded it on his Grounded album, which WSM was on. I think Jim Moss said that Monroe might have been on his recording of it back in the 80's.

Kimble F5 #18 (Dec. 2002) (http://www.richterdigitalarts.net/practice.html)

Jim

Antlurz
Sep-15-2005, 12:00am
Tanyards? WOW! I just threw my new F5 away after hearing that. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Ron

sgarrity
Sep-15-2005, 12:18am
Awesome mandolin and great pickin'. I've always liked that tune. Just started tryin to learn it.

jasona
Sep-15-2005, 12:43am
Great sound and playing Jim! It loooks pretty nice too. I still regret missing the Kimble I had a chance of getting.

Bradley
Sep-15-2005, 6:41am
Jim,

I am going to jump on your bandwagon with a pix of mine.
I bought it off the Cafe from a fellow member. It is by far the best mandolin I have ever owned and I am mighty prooud to have her. (The attached pix was taken by the original owner)

A local cafe member who is a friend if mine,Garry Huber just received a new F5 from Will and the tone and consistency are amazingly close. I am not sayingthat mine is the measuring stick,but trying to relate that they were made 2 years apart and sound like they were made 2 days apart.

evanreilly
Sep-15-2005, 7:11am
Bill Monroe didn't play mandolin on Jim Moss' recording of 'Tanyards', on the record of the same name. It was Jesse McReynolds. Bob Black played the banjo, and Kenny Baker added some fiddle.
Jim now has it available on CD.

JimRichter
Sep-15-2005, 7:48am
That's right, it was Jesse McReynolds. I remembered Jim bringing it up in a thread awhile back, but couldn't remember if he said Monroe was on the recording.

Jim

earthsave
Sep-15-2005, 4:05pm
I always wondered what Tanyards sounded like. I've got some tab of it, but it was beyond me to try and play it without hearing it first. Maybe I can take a shot at it now. Love those slides.

Scotti Adams
Sep-17-2005, 12:31pm
..those are some great looking mandos...maybe Garry will chime in with info on his....Im gonna have to get up to see you and Garry sometime soon Pearl.

Bradley
Sep-18-2005, 8:21am
Hey Scotti,

Are you still practicing in the Hamilton Area ??

Thats just a few miles away if so. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

garryh
Sep-18-2005, 4:41pm
O.K. Guys...Twist my arm!! Here's a couple of pics of #89. Engleman spruce and sugar maple. Love it!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

garryh
Sep-18-2005, 4:48pm
Another

Scotti Adams
Sep-19-2005, 7:16am
...looks geat Garry...yes Pearl..we practice in Hamilton..well actually Ross....to tell you the truth tho I dont know if we still have a band or not....its just too hard to get people together..its a 150 mile round trip for me just to practice and with the price of gas makes it rough....I do need to get with you and Garry to check out the Kimbles.

mandopete
Sep-19-2005, 9:19am
Jim - Great version of Tanyards! FWIW, when I asked asked Mike Compton what his favorite Bill Monroe tune was he said it was that tune. You've definately captured the Monroe feel to it.

JimRichter
Sep-19-2005, 12:12pm
Thanks for the compliment. #If I can get my right hand limbered up (been going through some chronic joint problems), #it comes out ok. #

My version is pretty much modeled after Mike's. #One thing Mike does that I started incorporating into mine is in the A part where where at the end of the main phrase you it hit those B and C notes on the A strings, to do that while keeping that G on the D string (5th fret) held down for a drone. #Basically you're playing those notes over a G chord. #Gives it a real modal sound. #Mike is great for picking up those subtleties in WSM's playing.

That's one of the things that that I love about Monroe's and Mike's playing that you often hear missing in many people who cover Monroe's fiddle tune material. #Got to have those drones/double stops in there. #For example, my absolute favorite version of Old Joe Clark is Monroe's from the early 60's. #Those opening notes of the A part just send chills up my spine.

Jim

Scotti Adams
Sep-19-2005, 12:56pm
Jim..I just got around to listening to your clips...great sounding mando and really fine playing..Im sure Mike and Mun would be proud.

bud
Sep-19-2005, 4:52pm
Hey Jim,

Here is a photo of your #18 and my #35 that Will sent me when I was looking for an F5. I've had #35 since April. Love it.

bud
Sep-19-2005, 5:00pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif Forgot the photo

JimRichter
Sep-20-2005, 1:19am
Was #35 Mike Strangeland's? I understand that was a great F5.

Jim

bud
Sep-20-2005, 7:48am
Jim,

That is correct, although correct spelling is Stangeland. Will took it to Cotten Music in Nashville and that is where I purshased it. It is nice. I don't think it had been played a whole lot. I think it is still opening up. I also have Kimble #6, the blonde A model with two different top woods. They are quite different in tone.

Bud

bud
Sep-20-2005, 7:53am
Here is a photo of #6

JimRichter
Sep-20-2005, 8:17am
I know that the blonde A that he built Compton had its own unique sound two, though it was a traditional top. Was an F holed instrument built had oval hole qualities--very unique. I considered buying it for awhile, but it really never sounded that good when I played it--I didn't have the touch for it.

Jim