PDA

View Full Version : pickin away!

Cetecea
Sep-14-2005, 10:17am
Greetings! I thought I would introduce myself here first. I love bluegrass music but I have started on mandolin playing in folk rock setting. Story is: I played bass with freinds on lots of Eagles, Van Morrison, The Band, Dylan, type stuff. We goof off and have a great time. Well, a month or so ago a new freind came over and he is a bass player from way back and came over to jam. Well, I had bought a mandolin just for a trip to Montana and pulled it out and started goofing off. The guys loved it so I have been working on it over the past few weeks... just learning chords and putting in small fills where I can. It's a whole new ballgame and quite frustrating... I can "hear" what I want to do but don't have the muscle memory to just spit it out!

I have lurked here awhile and have gotten some great information... So, wanted to say hello and thanks... see you around the boards. I will have the inevitable "need to upgrade" thread soon I'm sure!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Moose
Sep-14-2005, 4:31pm
Welcome - enjoy YOUR music - and your mandolin! - Moose. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Cetecea
Sep-15-2005, 8:22am
Thanks Moose!
Yeah, I enjoy it very much. I played mando years ago in Seattle but just picked one up again. The folks I play with are pretty happy. I have been trying to bring in some old time music ala Lonesome Cabin Boy, Blue Yodel #9, Dreadful Wind and Rain. It's a lot different than playing bass- but also very liberating to not need to carry anything bigger than the mandolin.

Of all things I bought a Hondo... yep, but remember this was just to goof off on while in Montana. Suprisingly, it is frettable, and is not impossible to play. Of course I went to the local music store in Concord and played a solid top Fender 53 A style that was like butter to play in comparison- and it was in tune beyond the 5th fret. So begins my G.A.S.- gear aquisition syndrome... but that's another thread entirely!