PDA

View Full Version : Info on this antique shop mandolin find?

flirtymango
Mar-25-2021, 7:38am
Hi all! I'm new to mandolin - bought one yesterday at an antique shop (the tag on it said it was a lute). Looks super old, but I'm not sure HOW old. There are no maker marks on it anywhere. Was hoping someone could tell me how old it is/who makes it. Others have told me it's likely from 1920s-30s Italy, but I wanted a second opinion.

Would love to get it fixed up so I can play it, but I wanted to make sure it's ok to take to a shop for repair/restring. There is a crack near the tuning gear that makes me weary about getting it fixed by the wrong person.

https://imgur.com/a/g0PR01G
https://imgur.com/hkp90en

Thanks for any help!

MikeEdgerton
Mar-25-2021, 9:40am
It was most likely built in the US, most likely between 1900 and 1920. The crack doesn't appear to be the biggest issue. Is that an optical illusion or is the fingerboard really that twisted in relation to the top?

Most of the major manufacturers built some instruments without labels so they could be sold by retailers, catalog retailers, schools, teachers, etc. as their own brand.

flirtymango
Mar-25-2021, 9:44am
Might just be an optical illusion in the pics

Jim Garber
Mar-25-2021, 9:47am
It was built in the US, most likely between 1900 and 1920. The crack doesn't appear to be the biggest issue. Is that an optical illusion or is the fingerboard really that twisted in relation to the top?

I agree with Mike, made in US. Either the fretboard is twisted or there is some warpage on the top. A luthier should check for loose braces and, of course, cracks. It has been around the block quite a few times but possibly could be made playable. String with ultralight strings. GHS A240s are a good inexpensive string to start.

flirtymango
Mar-25-2021, 9:53am
I agree with Mike, made in US. Either the fretboard is twisted or there is some warpage on the top. A luthier should check for loose braces and, of course, cracks. It has been around the block quite a few times but possibly could be made playable. String with ultralight strings. GHS A240s are a good inexpensive string to start.

Any luthiers you recommend in the area? I see you're in Westchester (I'm on Long Island).

EdHanrahan
Mar-25-2021, 10:17am
You might try Lark St. Music, just over the GW Bridge in Teaneck, NJ. (Closed Saturdays but open Sundays). NFI.

Not to be a downer but: Be aware that few luthiers get excited about working on typical bowlbacks; they're difficult to disassemble, and the cost of the work will likely exceed the value of the instrument.

robhanesworth
Apr-02-2021, 12:27pm
I would start with just restringing it with something light as suggested and give it a test drive.