PDA

View Full Version : monroe's mandolin

dc / al fine
Sep-13-2005, 11:49pm
I have to be the last mandolin player on the planet who doesn't know the story about the new neck that was put on Monroe's mandolin (in the 80's?). So I won't trouble any of you by asking for the story. Is there an article that I can read?

I first noticed the new neck in the photos on the cover and back of the 1983 Bill Monroe Master of Bluegrass Album (I think the debut release of "My Last Days On Earth"), and I was thinking that somehow the big mon had apparently reconciled with Gibson.

Michael Lewis
Sep-14-2005, 1:16am
I believe you will find the face of the headstock was repaired, not a neck replacement.

fredfrank
Sep-14-2005, 7:13am
I was thinking that somehow the big mon had apparently reconciled with Gibson.
Now, if we could only do the same!

JimRichter
Sep-14-2005, 8:32am
Masters of Bluegrass, I believe, came out in '81. The headstock was repaired in the late 70's ('78?)--no neck replacement. Management had changed over in Gibson and Gibson became very interested in reconciling w/ Monroe. I believe this coincided w/ Gibson introducing the F5L line. I think that Gibson, along w/ the help of guys over at the Opry, helped convince WSM of Gibson's sincerity.

Jim

evanreilly
Sep-14-2005, 9:40am
The missing scroll was replaced and a new headstock overlay was put on the mandolin.
The new overlay had the previously removed "Gibson" inlaid in it.

Moose
Sep-14-2005, 9:43am
I've heard a "story".., that some years ago a young Ronnie Reno accidently closed/dropped(??) the HSC top on Mon's mandolin - thereby breaking/cracking(?) the neck. I only heard.., mind'ja..!? (Evan, I know you're trolling ; do you know of this Monroe "story"!!??) - Moose. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

dc / al fine
Sep-14-2005, 9:52pm
Thanks to those of you who have answered my question.

But there is apparently another chapter. On the cover of The High, Lonesome Sound of Bill Monroe and His Blue Grass Boys (the album says MCA 1980, though the recordings are from the 50s--a GREAT album, with liner notes by Rinzler) there is a great close-up cover shot of Monroe & F-5. The F-5 is missing the 11th fret and binding after the 12th on the treble side. I was assuming that when the headstock was done, the neck was as well. But as I look at other album covers, I see that the binding and fret had been replaced before the headstock work.

By the way, does anyone know the approximate date of that photo? I am thinking that it is earlier than 1980. Maybe something that MCA had archived?

evanreilly
Sep-14-2005, 11:13pm
I never heard the story about Ronnie Reno busting up the neck on #73987.
Bill periodically had work done on it; I think someone once related a tale about taking the mandolin home from his shop at night when Bill had brought it in for repairs.

GTison
Sep-15-2005, 10:59am
I believe it was Randy Wood when he was at the pickin parlor in Nashville took it home at night to keep it safe... this was reported in a bluegrass unlimited article some time ago. Also when that binding was loose Bill could hook that E string under the end of the fret and get a split string effect. Cool!

evanreilly
Sep-15-2005, 4:30pm
'Bluegrass Ramble' is where the E string got stuck under a fret, if I remember correctly.

swampstomper
Sep-16-2005, 6:24am
No, I am fairly sure in BG ramble the E string is double cross tuned, to A and D. It's that really slack A (so three strings on that note) that give it such a weird sound. Also I believe the G is split to F#/A (so 1 fret down, 2 up). Open D thus.

Moose
Sep-16-2005, 9:01am
.....love these Monroe(isms)!! (Evan: I heard that "story" years ago - don't remember who/where - If you never heard it..., probaly never happened) - http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif