PDA

View Full Version : Damping and such

Danny Packer
Sep-12-2005, 10:53pm
Here's a technique question for you all to have a go at.

I working on learning ways to dampen my instrument (om) when I don't want it to ring so much. So far I've found that I can dampen the open G (which I use alot) pretty effectively with my left thumb. If I want to dampen the whole set of strings pretty firmly, I can do that ok with a heavy right hand and get a sort of chop-like feel. What I'm struggling with now is if I want to dampen the whole set of strings but not kill the volume and the ring I'm having a hard time with that. Any suggestions or things that work for you all?

Alright, back to the struggle.

Danny

Bertram Henze
Sep-13-2005, 1:21am
I think lowering the wrist down on the strings immediately after each down stroke might do it, giving the hand a kind of circular, wavy motion.
However, long sustain is what OMs and zouks are good at, and this damping business sounds like fighting the very purpose your instrument was made for. For a short attack sound without long sustain, a tenor banjo (tuned celtic style GDAE) would be more appropriate.

otterly2k
Sep-13-2005, 9:45am
Danny-- I'm not sure what you mean by dampening the sound WITHOUT killing the volume and the ring. Isn't that what dampening is?

I guess on the surface, I would agree with bertram, above. You can use your right wrist... way down by the bridge...to dampen all the strings. But it would kill the volume and right and do the opposite of what the instrument is meant to do.

Now, if you're just doing that here and there for effect (you get a softer, more percussive sound, which can be pretty cool), that's fine. But if that's the overall sound you want, then maybe it's not the right instrument and you'll have to give that Nyber to me...:p

steve V. johnson
Sep-13-2005, 1:00pm
Wow, tough question... one of those things that I do without thinking about, I guess... Hmmm...

I sometimes roll the heel of my hand along the strings at the saddle. I do this for that (how'd you describe it?...) 'softer, percussive sound', or to time the end of the sustain at the end of a tune. Played rhythmically, it can add something that sounds like another set of harmonics.

I guess, for me, staccato, short sustain is a function of left-hand hammer-ons and pull-offs. This is the part I don't think about, just do... It comes from bass playing, where the point at which the note -ends- is as important, or more so, than where it starts.

Since I'm moving from general strummage toward more melodic stuff, less sustain is largely what I'm about, tho I wouldn't have seen it in those terms til now. Hmmmm...

stv

Danny Packer
Sep-13-2005, 10:10pm
Thanks for the ideas guys. I am definitely only after effects. I love the sustain that I'm getting most of the time. Karen, don't hold your breath!

Danny

otterly2k
Sep-14-2005, 9:45am
LOL, Danny... don't worry, I'm not.
Seems like that Nyberg packs a whollop of volume, sustain and ring. Glad to hear it!