PDA

View Full Version : Strap for a Martin Style C

red7flag
Feb-24-2021, 8:12pm
I was wondering what strap you would recommend for a Martin Style C from the 30's and how does it attach? Thank you in advance.

mandroid
Feb-25-2021, 3:12pm
FAQ.. :whistling:

If it has an end button the other end goes around the headstock

Can You Tie a Knot in Parachute Cord?

how about a Uke strap, hooking onto the sound hole? (I use one with my D'Jangolin)

Lots of players didn't need a strap .. Dave Apollon ,

and Jethro Burns for his whole era with Homer Haynes

just tuck your arm under it a bit ..

Or sit in a chair .. typical Pub sessions are sitting around a table.. handy to the pints..

rickbella
Feb-25-2021, 3:45pm
Martin Style C mandos don't have an end button. But you can install one by removing the single screw in the tailpiece and then screwing in a strap button. Here is a selection of buttons at Greg Boyd's House of Fine Instruments: https://gregboyd.com/product/strap-button-nickel/

Then, you can use some straps originally intended for F-styles. You need to find one that laces around the headstock just north of the nut. The other end of the strap has to have a buttonhole. Here's a possibility, again at Greg Boyd's: https://gregboyd.com/product/levys-leather-mandolin-strap/

Good luck with it.

rcc56
Feb-25-2021, 4:47pm
I just thread a nylon boot lace through the channel in the bottom of the tailpiece and make a knot.

allenhopkins
Feb-25-2021, 8:38pm
A thong that will thread through the tailpiece and tie around the headstock above the nut is what I use on my Style A. The Martin mandolins are so light that a thin strap is all you need -- needn't worry about padding on your shoulder or fancy adjustability. I have acquired a number of lengths of leather thong at a now-defunct local craft store, in several thicknesses (or should I say thinnesses?).

I'd avoid adding a strap button unless you're really set on it.

EdHanrahan
Feb-26-2021, 9:01am
Rather than just above the nut, I tie on thru the tuners to avoid fretting-hand interference.

pops1
Feb-26-2021, 10:58am
Rather than just above the nut, I tie on thru the tuners to avoid fretting-hand interference.

+1 I do this also, it is more comfortable out of the way.

red7flag
Feb-27-2021, 5:08pm
Thank you all for your suggestions.

John Bertotti
Feb-28-2021, 7:35am
When I decide to use one I do the same. I don't use a strap to hold the instrument up but to catch it if for some reason I do slip up and drop it. Hasn't happened yet but cheap insurance just in case. I was bumped once and it did slip out from under my picking arm but the fretting hand was able to hold. That's when I decided it was cheap insurance.