PDA

View Full Version : Can I "dull" a shiny area on a matte-finish Eastman?

esslewis
Feb-11-2021, 1:39pm
Just got a new-to-me used 2018 Eastman 315. Love the matte finish on these. But the former owner apparently laid his pinky on the body, just under the treble side of the strings, so much that he made the finish a lot shinier and more "polished" than the rest of the body. It's a very apparent difference, roughly 3" across. is there a very fine steel wool or something I can get to possibly remedy this? This is just my beater mando so I'm willing to try something on it... Thanks in advance!

HoGo
Feb-11-2021, 3:39pm
Many of these "matte" or "satin" finishes are not real satin, but rather ordinary gloss finish applied with fine gun to create final surface with no subsequent polishing. It takes grainy texture that appears satin but with wear it will slowly into gloss where burnished. You can polish it up all to uniform sheen or have it oversprayed with another coat (NOT RECOMMENDED). Steel wool will just scratch the surface dullng it a bit but the texture is completely different from the original and you also risk sanding through as this type of finish is typically thinner than standard gloss finish (they have to add extra for sanding operations and buffing).

esslewis
Feb-11-2021, 3:58pm
Thanks, Adrian -- that makes perfect sense. It is an inexpensive mandolin, so I get it. Maybe better, as you say, to leave it alone. Very cool to hear from you, too, pretty much on the other side of the planet!

j. condino
Feb-12-2021, 5:36pm
Rottenstone, pumice, toothpaste, Bon Ami or similar gritty kitchen cleaner, micro mesh.......

George Henry
Feb-12-2021, 9:57pm
You could strip the mandolin of strings and attachment and use rubbing compound to gloss the whole thing. A lot of folks have done this with their satin Martin's.

MrMoe
Feb-13-2021, 8:03am
0000 steel wool has worked for me on some areas. Dry works OK, few drops of mineral or liquid soap can help.