PDA

View Full Version : My soldier's joy on the fiddle

Bluegrasstjej
Sep-12-2005, 8:50am
Jim or whatever his name is wanted me to join him on the fiddle on this tune. I've had a big problem playing this tune lately, but now it seems ok or at least not a shame to post my newest fiddle version. My intonation is not as good as Jim's even if I've played longer and there are some mistakes here and there, but it's the best I could come up with today.
I'm not so good at playing fast tunes yet, I'm trying to practice long bows to get a nice tone and straight bowing, so I haven't really practiced this one for some time..But, now I'm going to stop excusing myself. Well, go and listen to the tune.

rmcintos
Sep-12-2005, 10:08am
Sounds real good to me. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

You can always check your intonation against an open string. For example, if you play a D on the A string, you can use the open D string to see if you're sharp or flat.

Rob

Bluegrasstjej
Sep-12-2005, 10:25am
Yeah, but that's kinda hard when you play a C#..or end a tune with an open string..it's not something you do when you focus on playing right because you're recording..I do it when I practice though.
Thanks for the compliment, btw http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif .

jimini_pickit
Sep-13-2005, 12:20am
Susi,
Thanks for your post of SJ on the fiddle! It sounded great, and I love the little tag you put on the end...I'll have to try to learn that. I love to hear your playing of songs, I don't know if it's your interpretation of the song, or the actual version that you've learned from, but I always smile to hear the 'extra' or 'different' notes your versions have than mine; and it makes me think "..I wish I'd played those notes.." Mine just seem so robotic.
I'm glad the mic on my fiddle version didn't pick up me laughing at myself for my sloppy bowing...it just zigzags over the strings from the fingerboard to the bridge, and I look like I'm just sawing wood or swatting flies or something!

-Jim

Bluegrasstjej
Sep-13-2005, 3:15am
Thank you very much Jim for your comments! I've never thought of my versions as being personal in any way. I just invent something if I can't play the usual version (mostly it is because the tef file is too complicated or because I can't manage to remember the tune). Now, I've played Soldier's joy for 8 years but I've gotten prtty tired of it so I skipped my usual version and started playing this one (the Irish/Scandinavian version). I invented that little double stop tag yesterday while recording..I simply made too many mistakes when playing the original B part.

Those sawing movements you are doing are nothing to be ashamed of, it's good knowing them because in certain types of tunes they will appear. I think you play very well for being such a beginner, especially your intonation is great. Mine is much worse even if I've played the mandolin for years. Now you just need to practice slurs and things will be perfect.