PDA

View Full Version : Lefty Mandolins

MandoCommando
Sep-11-2005, 11:07am
Hey guys,
I just got started on the mandolin after playing guitar for about 5 years... let me tell you... I've already begun to like playing my mandolin better... fancy that. Anyways, I have an A-style switched over right now, but eventually I would really like a lefty F... will I really have to get one custom made? If so, how much and who will do it?

Thanks, and I'm really excited about this new little path.

Dan

Cedartop
Sep-11-2005, 12:08pm
MandoCommando,

The short answer is, no. You won't have to have a left handed F custom made. Of course there is a longer answer too.

My first mandolin four tears ago was an A model lefty Gibson plywood from the Showcase in Nashville. About 6 months later I found a lefthanded Weber Absaroka in stock at First Qaulity. I played this for the past three and a half years.

Just days ago I recieved a custom order Weber Yellowstone.
I custom ordered that as much for the options I wanted as for the lefthanded option.

THe last time I was at First Qaulity they had a Michael Kelley left hand F model. I didn't like it but you might have a different opinion.

Good Luck,

Mike S.

ab4usa
Sep-11-2005, 12:25pm
Dan,

As a fellow lefty I feel your pain. MK's are available but there was a recent post that said that their lefty models had righthanded nuts! You can also contact an Eastman Dealer and they can order you a lefty F at no additional charge. Short of that you are going to pay a premium from most of the big builders and have to order it. I have been in touch with several smaller builders and have never been quoted an up charge for building a lefty. In fact when Bill Bussman built my Old Wave A5 I got a $1.00 discount because he's a natural lefty himself!. Best of luck finding what you're looking for. It will be an interesting search.

ironlionzion
Sep-11-2005, 4:08pm
A fellow lefty here. i play a left handed MK and dont like it very much, i am saving up for gibson F5-G....they want 500 extra at mandolin brothers for a lefty gibson.
STeve

doc holiday
Sep-11-2005, 4:33pm
Ah the left handed pain of it all. #One short answer is that you do get what you pay for. #Although Martin & Bourgeois don't charge extra for leftys, I paid Collings their upcharge gladly. # I did have a lefty varnish Yellowstone and paid Weber the upcharge. #It's not just an easy flip. #I have had my lefty Heiden for a month now and I can't say enough about it (pics in the photo forum). #The answer is yes I paid for Michael Heiden to painstakingly do all the the things he had learned to do..backwards. #Would I do it again.. You bet.
I think you have to carefully decide what sound you want, what company or maker you want to work with, how much you want to spend, and then go for it. #My view is that you just want to pay that big upcharge one time and get the mandolin that speaks to you!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif Doc

DryBones
Sep-11-2005, 7:27pm
I am the guy who started the Mk lefty nut stuff. I just got my MK lefty Legacy FS back from having the nut replaced from a local shop. thing sounds great and I am back to loving my mando! If you go with the MK just make sure you either have the dealer replace the nut right up front(for free hopefully) or expect to have it replaced after purchase, mine cost $50 for the nut replacement and setup. Good luck!

here is a link to the other thread about MK lefty with righty nut:
http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin....t=27260 (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=13;t=27260)

Big Joe
Sep-12-2005, 9:32am
Gibson will gladly build any model we make in a left handed version.

mandopete
Sep-12-2005, 9:53am
Michael Heiden just recently built his first left-handed mandolin. I believe there's some pictures over in the photo section.

DryBones
Sep-13-2005, 4:45pm
Gibson will gladly build any model we make in a left handed version.
Joe, is there an additional upcharge for a lefty?
BTW, thanks for the input on Pickers Supply. they did a nice job replacing my MK nut.