PDA

View Full Version : Unknown stringed instrument.

hookandladder
Jan-31-2021, 1:58pm
Possibly a mandolin or ethnic instrument. No ID.... only a Kansas education sticker.

Any help appreciated.191703

MikeEdgerton
Jan-31-2021, 1:59pm
It's a mandolin, probably a well meaning amateur built it. I've never see that particular shape but we get odd shapes all the time here. That is one thick top.

Charles E.
Jan-31-2021, 2:17pm
Looks like it was made by Rorschach. ;)

allenhopkins
Jan-31-2021, 4:53pm
"Kansas education sticker" = shop class project, maybe?

Concur on the top thickness -- might be fun to string it up anew and see what it sounds like...

multidon
Feb-01-2021, 10:52am
Love the painted binding.

Might make a good electric instrument if you slap a pickup on there. Then the too-thick top wouldn’t matter. It actually might be a good thing and fight feedback.

Explorer
Feb-01-2021, 8:38pm
I think I saw more than one instrument with similar strange body geometry being sold by Elderly or similar retailers. The listings credited a prairie folk builder. Unfortunately I was unable to any of the listings, but I'll see if I can unearth them again at some point....

multidon
Feb-03-2021, 9:58am
The shape somewhat resembles instruments made by the Shutt Company of Topeka, Kansas. Those instruments were made in the 19-teens. Some time ago Gryphon had a couple of instruments made by Woody Williamson of Elmira, NY that seemed to be Shutt inspired. If you search you can still see the pictures and listings even though they’ve been sold. I don’t think your instrument is a Shutt but it’s likely Shutt inspired, especially being made in the same state.