PDA

View Full Version : Ludewig new 2 point design

Dale Ludewig
Sep-09-2005, 6:17pm
I'm going to try to post a picture of this little guy just strung up a few days ago in the white. It's designed to be a jazz instrument (obviously). Just thought people might be interested. So here we go- please be patient; I have problems getting these pictures down to size....... Wait til you see the finished item. Blue drives some people nuts. I believe this one will be emerald green. Seriously. Mock me if you must, but I can't help myself. I've found the perfect color.

Dale Ludewig
Sep-09-2005, 6:20pm
We'll try again at the pic. Pardon me.

Dale Ludewig
Sep-09-2005, 6:24pm
Well, if that last pic came through, let's have another go at a better resolution.

glauber
Sep-09-2005, 7:06pm
Wow!

groveland
Sep-09-2005, 7:13pm
Dale, you just want to torment me. That's what this is about, right? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

WireBoy
Sep-09-2005, 8:21pm
Dale,
#that looks fabulous. #make sure you give us a better look at the head stock when you're done. #love the abalone blocks on the fingerboard.

jasona
Sep-09-2005, 8:23pm
wow!

kyblue
Sep-09-2005, 11:08pm
Can't wait to see it in living color!

Paula

Ted Eschliman
Sep-10-2005, 5:51am
Incredible!
But from the Ludewig work bench, we'd expect nothing less...
Normally, I'd steer into safer waters than Emerald Green, but Dale's on to something here. That color would superbly pull the best out of the abalone inlay. (Go for it!)
Like a fine piece of jewelry, and no doubt it will pack the tone to match.

Steve Davis
Sep-10-2005, 2:44pm
I want one too! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Dale Ludewig
Sep-10-2005, 5:24pm
Thanks all. Yes, Ted, wading into the emerald green waters is going to be done carefully. But I've done color samples and I think I've got it.
I got the pickguard designed and made and attached today. If anyone's interested, say so and I'll post a pic. Now I can take it back apart and finish it (gulp). Only problem is I don't want to- I want to keep playing the little bugger.

mandomick
Sep-10-2005, 7:28pm
#If anyone's interested, say so and I'll post a pic. #Now I can take it back apart and finish it (gulp). #Only problem is I don't want to- I want to keep playing the little bugger.
Well post it already!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

J. Mark Lane
Sep-10-2005, 8:18pm
Well, if there's anybody who can pull off a wild color scheme, it's Dale.

I really like the design of this thing. In a world where everybody is Copying The Great Master Of All Things, it is nice to be reminded that, well, everybody really isn't.

Awesome, Dale. Really innovative, and really pretty. And I know you well enough to know it won't get out of your shop if it doesn't also sound wonderful.

I am totally into the idea of emerald green. And my Irish wife will love it. <g> I can hardly wait to see the finished product. (Not to mention that once it's done he'll be starting on MINE!)

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

ira
Sep-10-2005, 8:42pm
beautiful design. i love a 2 point! i also like the shape up top at the peghead.

B. T. Walker
Sep-10-2005, 8:47pm
I can hardly wait to see the green, too, because in all likelyhood, it is going on my Emory Lester model next. #Here is a picture of the green sample Dale sent me.

glauber
Sep-10-2005, 9:05pm
This is lovely, Dale. It will make someone very happy.

F5G WIZ
Sep-10-2005, 10:34pm
Dale
Guess you finally got your shop dried out! Looks great! Are you going to be in Townsend the last weekend of Sept. again. I will be there. Hope to see you there.

Darrin

van
Sep-11-2005, 1:09am
Very cool instrument Dale! I think that green will set it off. Nothing excites me more than an instrument in the white.

Dale Ludewig
Sep-11-2005, 7:20am
Well here goes. Pickguard attached. Jim, yes I hope it makes someone happy: me! I'm planning on keeping this one as a "sample". http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Dale Ludewig
Sep-11-2005, 7:22am
Oops- sorry- the "happy" comment was addressed to you, glauber.

glauber
Sep-11-2005, 9:33am
That's good. Maybe i'll see it when i finally come over to check out your mandolins.

mandoman15
Sep-11-2005, 12:50pm
wow, dan that's looking really nice, love the shape love tpickguard love everything about it... can't wait to see it in color, although it would be awesome as a blonde...:p

PaulD
Sep-11-2005, 10:45pm
I'm looking forward to seeing the green as well... but I don't have a problem with blue mandolins! Very nice, Dale!

Paul Doubek

John Zimm
Sep-12-2005, 10:33am
Dale-looks like the same one you let me play the other week in Waunakee. #I had a fantastic and educational time-the mandos were so playable-the strings were incredibly low to the fingerboard compared to the Mk I play. #Great work.

-John.

Dale Ludewig
Sep-12-2005, 1:08pm
Thanks John. Yep. That's the one.

Stephanie Reiser
Sep-14-2005, 6:37am
Very nice mandolin! It sortof reminds me of the Lyon and Healy two-point of 80 years ago.

Larry S Sherman
Sep-14-2005, 3:17pm
Now I can take it back apart and finish it (gulp). #Only problem is I don't want to- I want to keep playing the little bugger.

Hey Dale, have you finished "the little bugger" yet? I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see the green machine!

Larry

Dale Ludewig
Sep-14-2005, 6:01pm
Larry- no not quite. I've got too much other "stuff" going on, like building mandolins for real customers! However, every day it creeps more slowly into the 'ready for green' state. By the weekend, or the end of the weekend, I believe it will be green. Believe me, I'll post pics. I'm pretty excited about this, but the last thing I want to do at this point is rush and mess up the actual non-color mandolin details.

But thanks for asking.

And Amanda Lyn, your're right on the button. Some of my thoughts on the design came from the Gruhn book on Acoustic Instrument History. I looked at those and said- now there's an idea. Let's play around with that, change dimensions, shift things around, put a raised fingerboard on it, make it so I can convert it to an f-hole 15 fret model with minimal change to the body... Some harried thinking, drawing, thinking, experiments, flying by the seat of your pants... Good insight on your part.

Thanks again all. When it's green, there will be green pics here. Or as Scotty says in the Star Trek movie about the whales- "Captain, there be whales here".

Dale

Antlurz
Sep-14-2005, 6:16pm
If you get the same green as in that "sample" shot posted earlier, she oughta be a knockout!

Ron

Dale Ludewig
Sep-14-2005, 6:17pm
Aye, captain.

JEStanek
Sep-14-2005, 8:04pm
I'm green with envy. Fine form Dale.

Jamie

Hans
Sep-15-2005, 10:20am
I had the pleasure of driving this mandolin when Dale stopped by a couple of weeks ago (wish you could have stayed longer, Dale!). When Dale told me the top was Englemann, I thought sweet, when I saw the back was quilted bigleaf, I thought dark, and the instrument proved to be both sweet and dark sounding...I think it will be a fine instrument when completed.

Ted Eschliman
Sep-15-2005, 10:48am
Aye, captain.
Green is good. Just ask any Orion Slave Girl...

Dale Ludewig
Sep-16-2005, 6:50pm
Well she's green, captain. Did it today. Unfortunately my custom furniture customers had to be put on hold. Some things take more priority at certain times, ya know. So as I left today, binding is masked as much as possible. And it's green. A real dark green around the edge, but with no black added. All the same color. Tomorrow, oil based sealer coat that should dry so that I can pull the masking later in the day or Sunday. Very excited. Spruce provided beautiful wood. More so than I realized until the dye went on.

As soon as I have pics I'll post them.

And Ted- I remember that episode. Actually, it's from one of the movies, not? Whatever, you'd better not let your wife know you're looking and posting that kind of stuff, unless you're doing it together! My, oh my. See how green is special? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

HarmonyRexy
Sep-16-2005, 9:46pm
Hi!

The Orion Slave Girl was in the original pilot for Star Trek. (I say original because there were 2 pilots... since the network suits didn't like this one.)
That's Susan Oliver trying to tempt Jeffrey Hunter as Captain Christopher Pike, the original commander of the Enterprise.

Later, the network did a little recycling. That pilot was chopped up and injected with newer material to make a 2 parter, "The Menagerie", with Mr. Spock standing trial for taking Captian Pike to the forbidden planet.... so he would have a chance at life again with the 'beauty' who was sometimes an Orion Slave Girl.

I bet that it is clear as mud now, right....

But that is going to be one glorious mandolin, Dale!

JEStanek
Sep-17-2005, 1:15pm
Rexy.. I remember that epsiode as well. Those weird alien jailors put me off brussle sprouts with their big cabbage heads and trobbing temple veins. Ugh.

Dale has inspired me to make my IV kit emeralds green as well. Looks really cool Dale. I can't wait to see the "finished" product.

Jamie

B. T. Walker
Sep-17-2005, 8:35pm
Dale sent me a preview pic of the green two-point, but I'm going to let him post it at his discretion. #

There is a green that's close. #Don't forget the episode Whom Gods Destroy where Garth of Izar has control of the insane asylum on Elba II with the help of green Marta, played by Yvonne "Batgirl" Craig. #What a dance scene at dinner. <growl>

B. T. Walker
Sep-17-2005, 9:13pm
Here's a better example of that green on the two-point.

Larry S Sherman
Sep-21-2005, 3:39pm
As soon as I have pics I'll post them.

Hey Dale, any pics yet? I'm real curious to see the emerald green on your new 2-point. I'm thinking that after you finish this one green will be the new blue.

The only other green mando I can remember is this Weber Bitteroot, but it's more of an apple green.

http://www.soundtoearth.com/inst_cust_ma_greenbitterroot4.jpg

Dale Ludewig
Sep-21-2005, 6:22pm
Well, let's see what I can do. I wasn't going to post any more pics of this until it was done. But, since you asked, we'll see if I've got this pic small enough to make it through. If not, please forgive and I'll give it another try. This is after coloring, masking pulled off, and I'm scraping the binding clean. The color is pretty true to life.

Dale Ludewig
Sep-21-2005, 6:25pm
Hmm. That should have made it. One more try.

Dale Ludewig
Sep-21-2005, 6:26pm
Well, that's interesting. I just learned something when trying to post a pic, don't "preview it". Then it disappears in the post, or so it would seem. Front view:

phynie
Sep-21-2005, 6:42pm
That's beautiful! I love the way you got the inlays with a hint of green so they match the color scheme. Just beautiful! I also dig the lyon and healy thing you got going on with the scooped pickguard and extention hanging over the sound hole. classy. I have to make it to your shop one of these days and check them babies out!

Larry S Sherman
Sep-21-2005, 7:46pm
Wow, that's way better than I could have imagined! Amazing job Dale! Beautiful!

Larry

jasona
Sep-21-2005, 8:11pm
very impressive!

Dale Ludewig
Sep-21-2005, 10:33pm
Thank you again. Now I won't post pictures again until this darn thing is done!

OdnamNool
Sep-22-2005, 3:17am
I can hardly wait to see the green, too, because in all likelyhood, it is going on my Emory Lester model next. Here is a picture of the green sample Dale sent me.
Meanwhile, you might consider gettin' a new pair of boots!

Lovely mandolin!

OdnamNool
Sep-22-2005, 3:21am
Whoops! I was hoping that when I quoted altair38, the picture (with those old, ugly boots of Dale's) would show up too... but it didn't... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif