PDA

View Full Version : Dylan

David M.
Sep-09-2005, 9:04am
Been in a HUGE Dylan listening kick lately in preparation for the PBS special "No Direction Home".

I am having trouble hearing any mando in any of his stuff except the stuff he did w/The Band (Danko and Helm's playing). Any others?

What's a favorite Dylan song? I still love to play and sing Shelter from the Storm and Girl from the North Country.

John Flynn
Sep-09-2005, 9:26am
As a kid, the first music album I bought with my own money was "Dylan's Greatest Hits." The first tune I learned on the guitar was "Mr. Tamborine Man." I have done decent Dylan imitations on guitar, vocals and harmonica. But I have to say that IMHO Dylan today is a sad case. He should have completely retired a couple of decades ago.

luckylarue
Sep-09-2005, 12:39pm
No way Johnny - O! I saw him a couple years ago, I guess, and he and his band rocked. I was particularly taken by his lead guitar playing as he took many a fine solo. No he ain't what he was but he's never tried to be. I have seen Dylan a couple of times previously and not been that impressed - but that last show was awesome (and not just a brilliant supporting cast, either).
I think his last couple of cds are great as well.

David M.
Sep-09-2005, 1:14pm
This PBS special is up to '66, so it's up to the time he went electric. It's done by Scorcese. Should be interesting.

fatt-dad
Sep-09-2005, 6:01pm
When is it on? And, I loved the Time out of Mind album.

f-d

OdnamNool
Sep-10-2005, 1:51am
"To Ramona."

Spruce
Sep-10-2005, 10:21am
The Scorcese film should very pretty interesting...

For a very spooky Dylan trip, get ahold of the 5 (!) CD set of "The Basement Tapes" (http://theband.hiof.no/articles/genuine_basement_tapes_vol_1-5_howells.html) and Greil Marcus's companion book Invisible Republic (http://theband.hiof.no/books/invisible_republic.html)....

A lot of musical history and influence came out of those funky 2-track recordings...

Elliot Luber
Sep-10-2005, 10:57am
My favorite combination of Dylan and celluloid was the movie, "The Freshman," where Burt Parks (long-time host of Miss America pageant) sings "Maggie's Farm" in swing. Joke went over a lot of people's heads, but the guy who directed that flick was giving us Dylan fans a nod. I've been very fortunate to have met a good many of my musical idols, but I've never met Mr. Dylan -- which is probably for the better. None of these meetings have gone very well. I tried for years in vane to meet Tom Waits. Then one day in Germany I ran into him -- literally knocked him over in a hotel lobby when we were both running to catch our respective tour busses. He stood up, call me an "f'ing A-hole, and sautered off as only Waites could do. Do you think he was referring to an F4http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif?

David M.
Sep-12-2005, 10:45am
The Dylan special will air Sept. 26 and 27. I think. Need to check again to be sure.

Christian McKee
Sep-13-2005, 6:36pm
FYI the Marcus book is *outstanding,* but it's been re-titled "The Old, Weird America." Same book, different title, the change is explained in a forward of some sort. I went into those books a big Band fan, but not a huge Dylan fan, and his writing pulled me right in. He's also just released a new one on the recording of "Like a Rolling Stone" but that title escapes me at the moment.

Christian

fangsdaddy
Sep-14-2005, 5:37pm
johnny, i can't agree w/you on bob's retirement. after seeing the dylan/willie tour this summer i am very glad that bob has not hung it up. it was one of the best dylan sets i've seen in over 25 shows in 30 years. the new songs work. the greatest hits are just that. my only regret is that he was playing piano the whole nite. i heard he can't play guitar anymore due to arthritis. does anyone know if that's true?

Larry S Sherman
Sep-14-2005, 7:28pm
I've seen Dylan perhaps as many as 18 times since the 80's. The first time that I heard him (playing with the G.Dead)I didn't understand a word that he said.

Years later, after his heart infection scare I saw him again and was totally blown away-amazing band, amazing song selection, amazing everything.

The last couple of times I saw him he had indeed moved to piano, and the speculation is that it's due to his back. He plays a Fender-Rhodes type electric piano now. I do miss him on guitar, although Larry plays a mean zuke.

Larry

Chrissy
Sep-16-2005, 7:58am
More Dylan fans!!! I love Bob and I am going to have his love child, he just doesn't know it yet!!! I have every ticket stub from every concert that I've been to (26 so far) and each time I go I buy a new Bob outfit and never wear it again. It saddens me to not see him play his guitar anymore. I live in Minnesota and I went to Hibbing just to get some grass from his lawn of his old house. One time I bought a bob dylan vest at a concert, came out and there was his bus so I took that vest and wiped down the bus. Thats right folks, I have bob's bus dust!!! There is this bar called the 400 Bar in Minneapolis and every year in May on Bob's birthday they have this "bob dylan sound alike and look alike contest." Anyone can bring their guitar and get up and play a Dylan song. People come from all over the US to play. Theres nothing like a bar full of Bob Dylan fans. Great folks, big fun!!

mandobob
Sep-16-2005, 11:35am
I'm looking forward to it and nervous; I'm a Zimmy fan but I'm a HUGE Band fan. While I own and enjoy Last Waltz, Martin Scorcese sure can play favorites. I hope it's balanced.

David M.
Sep-16-2005, 11:42am
Mandobob, you mean like favoring Robbie? I noticed that, too, and read an article in RS once where Levon was real put off by that whole thing. Seemed like Robbie was the front man, but Levon kept saying "how can he take the credit when it's all of us contributing?".

Levon is my favorite of that whole bunch, but maybe that's 'cause he's the only Southerner http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

David M.
Sep-16-2005, 11:44am
The bootleg from '75 has some good mando in it on the pieces from "Desire". Need to go back and listen to Desire again, because I bet it does have some good mando parts.

The Basement tapes has some good mando.

mandobob
Sep-16-2005, 2:12pm
David M
You got it. I completely and totally love RRs songwriting and his understated guitar, but I believe Helm's side of the story on a personal level. The Last Waltz is at times like a valentine from Martin to Robbie, and I don't mean anything off color. Legend has it Levon had to fight to keep Muddy Waters
while Neil Diamond was a shoe at RRs request.
Besides, Levon plays mando!!
Didn't mean to hijack this thread, I just watched the LW for the umpteenth time this past weekend, still fresh in my mind.

David M.
Sep-16-2005, 3:55pm
Neil Diamond!?! Arrrrgggh. Bet he don't play mandolin... I always thought he was a strange fit in that concert.

I do love it when Joni's in the wings singing harmony for Neil Y. Gave me chillbumps.

Christian McKee
Sep-16-2005, 4:01pm
For a detailed history of The Band from Levon's perspective, check out his book Wheels on Fire. According to Levon, at least, that bit about fighting to keep Muddy on the bill (he was almost cut to make time for Neil Diamond) is not legend at all. I will say that that book can make it much more difficult to enjoy The Last Waltz, but it's a very illuminating read.

Christian

f5loar
Oct-10-2005, 4:43pm
I got the DVD on this Dylan Bio and it shows some great vinatge footage from early 60's and Mike Seeger and band playing his 50's F5 mandolin. Also a breif appearance of Frank Wakefield with Greenbier Boys when they were on the Pete Seeger show.

jasona
Oct-11-2005, 8:17pm
Didn't our own Niles Hokkanen put down some mando tracks for Dylan?