PDA

View Full Version : Bridge compensation

Martin Jonas
Mar-15-2004, 6:35pm
I've just received a new bridge from Cumberland Acoustic, and very gorgeous it is, too. However, I'm trying to figure out which end is the treble end and which one is the bass end. I thought it would be obvious from comparing with my old bridge, but it isn't. The old bridge is pretty much symmetrical, but the new one is not: the difference in compensation from string to string is much larger on one end than on the other. So, the question is: is the end with the largest step in compensation the treble end or the bass end? Or, in other words, is there a larger compensation between e- and a-string or between g- and d-string?

Martin

grsnovi
Mar-15-2004, 7:48pm
Looking down on the bridge on my Collings MF, the compensation does appear to be very nearly symmetrical (I'd have to measure it). But, the bridge itself is angle relieved on the "tail" side. Also, the E is flush on the "nut" side while the G is not flush on the tail side.

Scotti Adams
Mar-15-2004, 7:53pm
..if you look down on the bridge saddle....the section of the bridge furthermost towards the nut is where the E strings sit...

Martin Jonas
Mar-17-2004, 7:48am
Many thanks Scotti and Gary -- I've installed the bridge now and the compensation is right on all strings. Nice bridge, but I had to take it down a lot to fit: it's clearly designed for mandolins with a larger string-to-top distance than mine. In addition to what I took off when fitting the bridge feet, I also took about two millimetres off the underside of the saddle and that makes the action about right with the wheels all the way down.

Martin