PDA

View Full Version : Mann 5 String Emando

Dfyngravity
Sep-08-2005, 10:07am
Here are some photos of the new 5 string electric the Jon Mann is building me.

Dfyngravity
Sep-08-2005, 10:09am
Here's another. It's going to have two pick-ups not 1.

Dfyngravity
Sep-08-2005, 10:10am
Last pic for now.

Ken Sager
Sep-08-2005, 10:30am
Very cool. I really like the maple overlay for the back. Have you chosen a stain/color yet? The e-Mann-dos are 14 inch scale, aren't they?

I've joined yet another band where I can play electric mando on some tunes if I choose. I'm seriously considering upgrading my Fender 5-string to either a Mann, or a Ryder. I wonder of Jonathon can mount a synth pickup...

I hope you'll keep us posted and definitely show the finished instrument.

Best,
Ken

Ted Eschliman
Sep-08-2005, 11:02am
You will not be disappointed! Totally satisfied with mine.
Word of warning, though. After it's delivered, don't get caught with Jonathon in that endless loop of compliments:
You da Mann!
No, you da man!
No, you da Mann!
No, you da man!...
(etc.)

Dfyngravity
Sep-08-2005, 11:04am
Ken, it's actually going to be a 14.5" scale length. And the top is going to be maple not the back. But that would be cool as well. It is actually being modeled after the new PRS McCarty electric guitar. I can't wait to get some more pics. This mando is gonna be killer.

Dfyngravity
Sep-08-2005, 11:42am
Haha, I know exactly what you mean there Ted. Actually this is my second Mann 5 string emando. The first one is sold. About a month after selling it and realizing that I didn't need another acoustic mando I decided to buy another Mann 5 stings. Here's a pic or two of the last one I owned.

Dfyngravity
Sep-08-2005, 11:44am
And the back for those who like to see Jon's awesome "thru-neck" design.

acousticphd
Sep-08-2005, 1:11pm
I recently bought one of John's A7s. While I was at his place, he showed me a hollow body acoustic/electric instrument similar to the one above, but that had 8 strings. He mentions the 8-string option on his website, but there aren't any examples pictured. I forget now how the pickup(s) were arranged - I don't remember it having a top-mounted magnetic pickup; it seems like maybe it was to have a bridge PU of some kind. It sounded surprisingly good 100% acoustic. What is behind the preference for having 5 strings as opposed to 8 (or 10) on an electric?

Ken Sager
Sep-08-2005, 1:24pm
Hi Jeff,

My preference for a 5-string is for simple clarity of tone. I prefer single strings for an electric guitar sound. Twin strings give a little too much chorus effect for my taste, sort of like an electric 12-string guitar will always sound like the Birds...

Now, played with a slide, double course electric is a unique sound that I can't get out of a five string without cheese effects - not that I'm against cheese effects, not at all. I simply prefer my electric instruments to sound very electric.

When are you visiting SLC again, Jeff?

Best,
Ken

Ken Sager
Sep-08-2005, 1:30pm
D,

Seeing the photo if your other 5-string I realize how handsome the maple top is. I love the look of the back, too. That really is a striking looking instrument.

I noticed the truss rod cover on your semi-hollow body. What will go in the neck of your new instrument?

Best,
Ken

Dfyngravity
Sep-08-2005, 2:33pm
You know I am not quite sure. However, this one will be a solid electric.

The mando above was pretty awesome, I wish I never sold it. But I think the one I got coming will be even better. Here is a picture of the PRS that is will look like.

Ken Sager
Sep-09-2005, 8:38am
That's hot. It looks like it has too many strings, though, and that scale length would really be unmanageable tuned in fifths...

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Kidding

Dfyngravity
Sep-18-2005, 6:02pm
Here's a new photo. It's getting closer!

Mandobar
Sep-19-2005, 5:27am
ooohhh! that is just what i am looking for!

Dfyngravity
Sep-19-2005, 7:47am
Me too! hahaha. Jon, is a great guy to work with, I forgot how bad this whole waiting process was. It's like when your 5 or 6 yrs old and waiting for christmas or something.

Dfyngravity
Oct-01-2005, 8:17am
New pics just in this morning. Thought some of yall might like to see the progress. Still a little more finishing to go and rough ends to tie up, but it's getting close!!!

Ken Sager
Oct-01-2005, 9:47am
Looking good, no, looking great! Thanks for sharing. Keep 'em coming!

Dfyngravity
Oct-06-2005, 12:56pm
Here are a couple of shots Jon sent me. Last coats of lacquer went on last night and then buffing will come next. I can't wait to see this baby in person. If you compare it to the photo of the PRS above, it's pretty darn close ain't it.

Dfyngravity
Oct-06-2005, 12:57pm
and another.

delsbrother
Oct-06-2005, 9:54pm
If you compare it to the photo of the PRS above, it's pretty darn close ain't it.

Yeah, if I was looking at that from across a room, I would definitely mistake it for a PRS. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

That Thinline looks great too. Why'd you sell it?

Darrell

Dfyngravity
Oct-06-2005, 10:04pm
well that's a question i often ask myself.....why did i sell it? honestly i dont know, but i turned around and decided i needed another. i think this is going to be much better becuase i like the solid body over the thinline design. if people want my to practice quietly, well it's too bad, my fender amp only has one notch on the volume knob and that's LOUD.

acutally i sold it becuase i wasn't using it enough, and then 2 weeks after i sold it a guy asked me to play mandolin in his band and he thought if i had an electric that would be great because they play a lot of rock. go figure, i sell it becuase i dont need it and then i need it. oh well, just another excuse for me to get another mandolin. im glad i am not married, so for now i don't have to feel guilty.

Dfyngravity
Oct-28-2005, 5:44pm
It's being shipped out Monday! Here's a pic that Jon sent me today. I think he said he will be bringing it to IBMA, unfortunatly I won't be there, but if you go tell me what you think if you see it.

RolandTumble
Nov-01-2005, 6:27pm
Okay, at this point I'll join the chorus: Gorgeous!

BTW, the definition of "junk" is: Something you keep in your attic for thirty years & then get rid of two weeks before you need it....

Dfyngravity
Nov-02-2005, 6:15pm
It's here finally!! And man is it sweet. Jon told me he took it to IBMA and Sam Bush played it for a while and thought it was a real PRS mando. It looks pretty darn cloce.

Ken Sager
Nov-02-2005, 6:43pm
That's hot.

Dfyngravity
Nov-02-2005, 8:45pm
Hopefully Sam left some majic in those strings. I will post some more pics soon