PDA

View Full Version : Ralph Stanley & Clinch Mountain Boys - GREAT 1972 video

mingusb1
Dec-22-2020, 7:30pm
This may have been discussed already but here is some fantastic video of Ralph, Roy Lee, Curley Ray, Keith, Ricky, and Jack from Pound VA in 1972:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vewupMUJDG8

For me, bluegrass doesn't really get any better. The singing and picking is just killer. Curley Ray is my fave. Enjoy!

Z

tree
Dec-23-2020, 1:54pm
Cool to see any footage of Keith and Ricky. Love the 2 point. Love Roy Lee's singing, almost like Carter!

mingusb1
Dec-23-2020, 2:25pm
Cool to see any footage of Keith and Ricky. Love the 2 point. Love Roy Lee's singing, almost like Carter!

Yeah, Roy Lee sounds great and Ricky sure is pushing that mando! Wonder what kind of "good bargains" folks got in the shop?

Z

HonketyHank
Dec-23-2020, 3:18pm
Is that an Ibanez two-pointer? Did they make them way back then?

Bob Buckingham
Dec-23-2020, 4:21pm
That mandolin is probably a Gibson A5 like Jethro played. Whatever it is it really pops!

HonketyHank
Dec-23-2020, 7:14pm
It's awful fuzzy at full screen, but the peghead logo looks un-Gibson-y. Maybe it's time for me to visit the eye doctor again.

HonketyHank
Dec-24-2020, 12:10pm
Well I finished the whole video and really enjoyed it. Thanks again. My favorite came just at the end when they were taking requests and Ralph responds to one yelled from the audience -- "We don't DO Foggy Mountain Breakdown."

J.Albert
Dec-27-2020, 2:25pm
Roy Lee could "out-Carter" Carter.

Hard to believe that Ricky is the only one on that stage who's still alive.

Charles E.
Dec-27-2020, 3:33pm
It's awful fuzzy at full screen, but the peghead logo looks un-Gibson-y. Maybe it's time for me to visit the eye doctor again.

It looks like one of these....

https://reverb.com/item/4077115-gibson-a5-two-point-1964-cherry-sunburst

Timbofood
Dec-28-2020, 12:51pm
I found that a while ago and must have watched it half a dozen times! Great historical footage!
Hank, that’s a real “Jethro model” A-5 I don’t think Ibanez started bringing those in until at least ‘75 if memory serves.

Lucas
Jan-09-2021, 1:26am
Thanks for sharing this video. I am in the process of reading Ricky Skagg's biography. He described his mandolin as an A-5 Florentine Gibson. It doesn't have a pick guard, so I'm not so sure it is the Jethro model. Ricky didn't like it because it didn't have any bark but it was all he could afford at the time.

mingusb1
Jan-15-2021, 1:21pm
Thanks for sharing this video. I am in the process of reading Ricky Skagg's biography. He described his mandolin as an A-5 Florentine Gibson. It doesn't have a pick guard, so I'm not so sure it is the Jethro model. Ricky didn't like it because it didn't have any bark but it was all he could afford at the time.

That's interesting because you can hear it just fine, even with Ralph and Curley Ray wailing away. Says a lot about his technique.

Z