PDA

View Full Version : cheap, beginner mando?

clarksavage
Sep-05-2005, 12:40pm
Can anyone recommend the "best" (easy to set up, durable, and can be made playable, don't really care much about sound or appearance at this level...) mandolin in the $100 - $200 range? #I see that the Martin backpacker can be had for $170 from some internet sources. #Any others that really show up as a decent mando for a beginner to play (and comes in left handed models?) #I appreciate any help.

PhilGE
Sep-05-2005, 1:18pm
Mid-Missouri mandolins (http://www.midmomandolin.com/) are the way to go. You can find some used for very reasonable prices.

-Phil

glauber
Sep-05-2005, 3:01pm
I second Mid-Mo, but a used one will be in the $350 ballpark. I don't know if there is anything worth having in the $100-$200 range, although there was a recent thread here with good praise for this $200 Washburn (http://www.music123.com/Washburn-M1SDL-i131427.music?t=4) (i've never seen one, so i can't confirm).

mandogoshen
Sep-05-2005, 5:41pm
There's plenty of mando brands in the 'around $200' price range, but you'll have to get a used one to get any kind of quality, most likely. Fender has one with a solid top for around $250 new. Johnson has entry level products which seem to garner high praise hereabouts. Suggest you stay away from laminated tops of any kind.

gnelson651
Sep-05-2005, 6:30pm
I bought a Lone Star Rome for $50 from the Classifieds. It was a good flattop #A oval hole mando with a deep body for a nice mellow sound. You can find them on the net for around $100 and they're easy to setup.

jasona
Sep-05-2005, 7:31pm
Lonestars are also solid woods, and although they do not have a bluegrass tone, they sound and play fine--especially for the cash.

My only other suggestion would be a Kentucky 150S--all solid woods, and more of a bluegrass look and tone. Used you should be able to get one for less than $200.

seththedude
Sep-06-2005, 1:22pm
I have a Kentucky 250S that has been really good to me. I have had it for about 5 years and never had any issues with it. When I got it the action was high and I got it lowered for about $50 at a local luthier in Austin, TX.

It has good tone and nice chop. I generally can be heard in a group of pickers just fine. I like it so much that I am just now considering an upgrade to a nice mando.

I got tt with a hardshell case for about $350 I think but without the case you could probably find one for $250. More than you are looking to spend but worth it in my opinion.

mikeyes
Sep-06-2005, 1:49pm
This may not be what you want, but the "best" mandolin I have come across in the $100-$200 (actually $95) range is the International Violin Kit. It is easy to build, all you do is sand it and glue it and you have a playable mandolin with a very good sound and if you are picky, you can fit it, graduate it, finish it and get better hardware for a much better mandolin. I have not seen a mandolin in the $100-$200 dollar range that comes even close. The reason you see a Martin acoustic instrument going for $170 is that the Martin name is worth at least $100. Stay away from the backpacker.

jim_n_virginia
Sep-07-2005, 7:08am
I don't think you can find a playable $100.00 mandolin, maybe $200.00 if you by used and get a good deal.

Whatever you get at that price is most definitely going to need to be setup for action and intonation. Add another fifty bucks for that.

The better mandolin you buy is going to be easier to play and thus you will be more apt to stick with it for a while.

As for the Backpacker... I think a homemade cigarbox mandolin would sound better.

good luck in your search!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

DryBones
Sep-08-2005, 2:58pm
I found a lefty Martin backpacker guitar at a pawn shop for $60 and love it. got a slight banjo sound to it which is fun. Not sure I would buy the new Martin mando for $195. You can get a "real" mando for a few bucks more. Now if I found a lefty Martin backpacker mando used for under $100 I would add it to my ever growing collection just for fun.:D

singularterm
Sep-08-2005, 9:53pm
I too have been very happy with my Kentucky 250S (aside from a little tailpiece woe which was easily, and inexpensively, resolved).

It's got a very respectable tone and feel for the price.

Dioptase
Sep-09-2005, 1:43am
Mid Missouri is the way to go. I've seen them used for 300$. It's an instrument you'll always want to keep, even if you upgrade later. Sometimes, if you really really look, you can find an old Strad-O-Lin for 200$ or less. I picked one up for 150$ that sounds like a 1000$ mandolin. Just be sure you get a solid wood instrument, some of them were laminate.

flairbzzt
Sep-22-2005, 8:19am
Another vote for the Kentucky 250s in this range.