PDA

View Full Version : Adamas (Ovation) Mandocello.

Caleb
Nov-06-2020, 11:52am
https://youtu.be/uWSzNWKRu7Y

^^^ Ran across this today. At first I thought it was a guitar conversion but it looks like Adamas made some of these once upon a time. Sounds pretty good too!

tmsweeney
Nov-06-2020, 12:05pm
I had one for 5 or 6 years until the top just peeled up one day, I gave the pieces to someone who wanted to try and repair it, nice cause it plugged in, they are decent instruments, but to me it felt more like an 8 string guitar than a true mandocello.

Philippe Bony
Nov-07-2020, 1:53pm
I had one for 5 or 6 years until the top just peeled up one day, I gave the pieces to someone who wanted to try and repair it, nice cause it plugged in, they are decent instruments, but to me it felt more like an 8 string guitar than a true mandocello.
Why? it's got 4 (double course) strings, not 8...

NotMelloCello
Nov-08-2020, 12:20am
Why? it's got 4 (double course) strings, not 8...

Ovations do this quite frequently. Ask any experienced repair person.

tmsweeney
Nov-08-2020, 4:39am
Phillipe - its mostly the neck, the ovation has a standard guitar neck, other mandocellos I have played (and prefer) have a narrower fret board - makes the 5th stretches a little more manageable. It also did not have that double course "ring" it was kind of gritty and somewhat flat as ovations can be. That maybe because the bridge is so low, most other mandocellos I have played have somewhat of an arc from the tailpiece over the bridge to the nut.

allenhopkins
Nov-10-2020, 11:23pm
Ovation mandocello in its natural environment:

m7pJLEwc8Ro

I mean, the song's called Mandocello.