PDA

View Full Version : String Cheese Incident

wichitamando
Sep-03-2005, 11:42am
If anyone is interested, String Cheese Incident is playing every weekend this month on DirecTV channel 124. I watched some of the show last night. I'm not very familiar with the band, but is Michael Kang playing an emandola for most of the show?

Billiam
Sep-03-2005, 1:24pm
I believe he plays a 5 string, so whether you call it a mandolin or a mandola is up to you.

delsbrother
Sep-03-2005, 6:05pm
The Rono?

chirorehab
Sep-03-2005, 10:46pm
mostly the Ron-o...

I think on restless wind he plays something else..

wichitamando
Sep-04-2005, 4:45pm
It had a long neck which made me think mandola... Thanks.

frankseanez
Sep-05-2005, 5:13pm
I've got to take another look at the show today, but it looks like he's using a capo on the Rono in a couple of the songs. What's up with that? I think that he uses a Gilchrist on the acoustic stuff.

Kirby161
Sep-10-2005, 10:27am
i guess since it is a 5-string he can justify the use of a capo. I guess if you were used to using open strings then it would help alot on the emando.
(it doesnt matter weather it is a mando or mandola because it is both! cgdae)

Christian McKee
Sep-12-2005, 6:34pm
I'm not much of an SCI fan, but RonO's website (hissssss) something about his instrument being a "baritone" 5-string: five extra frets at the low end. I don't know anthing about how he tunes it, but that could mean he's playing it fcgda?

Christian

Mandobar
Sep-12-2005, 8:00pm
i saw the directtv show yesterday. what is the little emando that looks like an es335? michael also has a beringer emando.

wmr
Sep-13-2005, 2:34pm
Kang tunes his rono G D A E B

Christian McKee
Sep-13-2005, 6:26pm
He must be an octave lower than regular mandolin tuning, since that B string would injur dogs and humans alike... That would go a long way towards explaining why his tone is soooo guitar-like.

Christian

frankseanez
Sep-14-2005, 7:18am
Thanks WMR & Taboot! If he tunes it GDAEB like you said, and an octave lower, Taboot, that goes a long way to explaining the capo. Any idea what gauge strings he uses for that GDAEB setup?

clem
Sep-17-2005, 6:53pm
Greetings:

I play a 5 string Rono similar to Michael Kang's (3 pickups (S/H/S, with splitter), long scale, single cutaway body). #I string mine .11, .16, .26, .36, .49. #The extra frets/range makes the mando a perfect fit in a band, plenty of bottom with all the highs you would ever need. #With a capo at the 5th fret, the top 4 strings are "standard mandolin tuning" with a low c string on the bottom.

BTW, my Rono is an increddible instrument in every respect. #I bought it from a guy who commissioned it and then needed to "cash it out." # #I'm very happy to be playing it. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

This is my first post...but probably not the last.

Clem