PDA

View Full Version : Middle finger doesn't like pinky butting in?

Okie8stringn
Sep-02-2005, 11:40am
Hi all,

I have been playing the mando for a couple of years now and my problem is that when I first started playing I was self taught and used only 3 fingers to fret with. When I started out I didn't learn any chords except for the open ones and ones where I could use 2-3 fingers and maybe skip a string. I learned to pick lead in the most useable keys for bluegrass and with just the 3 fingers, not using my pinky.

I am presently trying to learn some of the closed chords down the fretboard and improve my fretting finger speed and it is really imposible without using my pinky. I am 57 yrs old an have a little "aurther" in my fingers so training this pinky will be a chore.

Now when I get to a note where I 'need' to use my pinky, my middle finger quickly tells my pinky.. "hey it's ok, I'll get this one." :-) and it does...This really gives me a brain @!#$

Did any of you have this problem?

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

bjc
Sep-02-2005, 11:59am
I had something similar, but I'd suggest working on Ted's (of Jazzmando fame and fortune) FFCP exercises SLOWLY until you get the fingers trained. It really didn't take me long to get used to it, but then again I played guitar for years....but start slow and train those puppies...

Dfyngravity
Sep-02-2005, 1:35pm
hey try this little trick i use. im sure you know a bunch of fiddle tunes or what ever. take one of those and play it with only your 2,3 and 4th finger. so really your 2nd becomes your 1st and 3 becomes your 2nd and 4th become your 3rd. doing this will really get your pinky working out. you will most likely have to start off really slow but keep at it. try playing all the tunes you know like this. but remember to practice with using all your fingers too because you want to keep that 1st finger moving too. after a while you will be able to play with all 4 fingers just as fast and just as smooth.

250sc
Sep-02-2005, 1:51pm
Take it slow and easy and it should come with time and practice, but remember you are stretching your muscles in new directions as well as trying to teach your little finger that it is going to 'come off the bench' and play in the game. When you feel tension shake it out. Don't hurt yourself.