PDA

View Full Version : cross picking exercises

pushinforty
Aug-31-2005, 4:50pm
I've been working with Mickey Cochran's book on crosspicking techniques and I can play most of the exercises accurately and up to speed. However, now that I've gotten to some of the tunes I'm having a hard time hearing how they should sound (e.g., making the melody stand out against a syncopated sort of drone - at least that's what I assume I'm supposed to be aiming for). Has anyone recorded any of these that I might hear what they're supposed to sound like? If not, any guesses where I should be putting the accent on those forward and reverse rolls? Thanks for any help! Michael

250sc
Sep-01-2005, 3:01pm
pushinforty,

I've been watching in hopes of getting some insight into crosspicking but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I was at a festival last month and there was a mando player there who used crosspicking techniques to emulate banjo rolls. He used quite a few chord positions that were fingered up the neck but had one or two open strings too. If you find any of these positions please let me know.

pushinforty
Sep-01-2005, 3:48pm
The Cochran book has a lot of those positions illustrated in the context of teaching tunes. I just wish I could hear what they're supposed to sound like. I went fishing for a Jessie McReynolds recording and found several. However, everythings happening too fast more me to be able to make out which phrases are similar to the ones I'm trying to learn. Oh well... Michael

250sc
Sep-02-2005, 6:58am
I've had success using 'The Amazing Slowdowner' to work out solos that are too fast for me to pick up. As I recall it cost about $50 but paid for itself in no time. You can download a trial version.