PDA

View Full Version : Loar Question

Keith Erickson
Aug-29-2005, 2:09pm
My knowlege of Loars ( very limited as it may be ) has been what I have read here and on the web in general.

My question is: Are folks traveling to far out parts of the globe to locate and purchase Loars?

Thanks,

Spruce
Aug-29-2005, 2:15pm
I don't know how many Loars made it "to far out parts of the globe", but sure, why not?....

AlanN
Aug-29-2005, 2:36pm
"Till the end of the world rolls round"

fatt-dad
Aug-29-2005, 2:40pm
Yeah, I looked for one in Panama but didn't find one.

One day. . . . .

f-d

Darryl Wolfe
Aug-29-2005, 3:26pm
If your question pertains to the fact that quite a few are turning up lately I can offer this.
- the generational timing (age of the instrument) at the moment favors them changing hands now. Loars are being passed to grandchildren now.

- the age of many of the "second owners" is ripe for them changing hands...example those folks who bought in the 60's and 70's are reaching the "60-70 year old "sell" age

- the Internet and speedy information lookup favors "newly found" Loars finding their way from uninformed (and informed) heirs to market at places like Elderly, Gruhns and Mandolin Brothers.

- The rise in prices is pushing some of those heirs to sell at the moment

kudzugypsy
Aug-29-2005, 4:18pm
it seems that Elderly is the *hot* place for Loars these days. i guess it goes thru different phases. years ago, it was Harry West, then Gruhn, then Mandolin Bros, now it seems Elderly is the place to go, as they have had quite a few over the last few years, whereas hardly any are to be found elsewhere.

Spruce
Aug-29-2005, 4:37pm
"...whereas hardly any are to be found elsewhere."

Well, Skinner's has turned quite a few in the past few years...

And there are quite a few that turn over behind the scenes...

Just like Strads, stuff happens off the radar, which makes it difficult to pin down values, etc....

GTison
Aug-29-2005, 4:55pm
I would say they have been worth traveling for for a long time.
Here's the story part: A friend who used to play with the Stanley Bros. and others back in the 50s had one. Not really all of it either, only the disasembled PARTS. I believe the top had been crushed and discarded. Some person( unknown to me) flew from California to Florida to get what was left of it. He left with the parts in a box. This was back in the 70's. So for people in the know they've been very desirable for a while.

Karen Kay
Aug-29-2005, 4:57pm
Here's a dopey question: how many are left unaccounted for?

ronlane3
Aug-29-2005, 5:30pm
Karen, Enough to keep looking for. If Ronnie McCoury can find one in Mexico, then you never know.

glauber
Aug-29-2005, 5:51pm
Do we know how many were made?

f5loar
Aug-29-2005, 7:45pm
It's not uncommon to hear about a vintage collector in Japan flying into the USA to pick a Loar. Face it, if you can afford the $130K plus price for a Loar these days you can afford a plane ticket to go get it. And with insurance rates like they are today it might be cheaper to go pick it up in person vs. commerical shipping with insurance.
Skinner and Elderly have been the leading finders these days. Skinners has world wide clintel. When Elderly list a new Loar for sale it's website is world-wide but many are sold through Elderly,Gruhns,Mando Bros. and never make it to a public listing. They know who to call first. There are several dozen more to be found. But like Darryl says many are changing hands as the 2nd owners age out. It won't be too long before Darryl will be turning his loose!
I'm waiting on my wheelchair confinement in a nursing home.
Nothing would be worse then being in a nursing home with your Loar and forgetting where you last put it down.

AlanN
Aug-29-2005, 8:00pm
eh, what's that, Tommy? Speak up, I can't hear you...

GTison
Aug-29-2005, 8:14pm
and most likely the nursing home would own the Loar in the end.:(

jasona
Aug-29-2005, 10:14pm
Tom, I recall you once mentioning wanting to be buried with your July 9. From your comment above can I assume you just pulling our collective legs? If so, I'll quit saving for the backhoe. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

On a more serious note, someone on my in-law side when I first took up the mandolin mentioned that my wife's grandfather had a mandolin, or a uke (they could not remember), but it was in the house somewhere. Sadly, they were on the phone and not there at the time. They've since forgotten the comment, but it is on my mind heavily with every visit. I'm too polite to ask them if they might remember where the instrument is. During really sleepless nights, however, its hard not to dream its a Loar waiting for me... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

f5loar
Aug-30-2005, 6:40pm
Who said I only had one Loar? One to be buried with, one for the nursing home and the others for the family to fight over.

glauber
Aug-31-2005, 7:04am
Also good to keep a few on the side for firewood.