PDA

View Full Version : Orpheus

BonnieWegner
Jun-23-2020, 11:15am
Finding any information on this mandolin is proving to be difficult. There are no other identifying marks that I can see other than the name Orpheus. I’ve looked inside and it’s all black. I don’t see any marks or stamps in there.

This is my mother’s and she got it from her ex husband that supposedly had it in the family for years.

I’m looking to sell it for her and am afraid I’m not selling for what it’s worth. Can anyone tell me anything about this that would help me determine its worth?

NickR
Jun-23-2020, 11:23am
I see there is a higher grade one on Worthpoint. My immediate reaction is that it was made in Japan but it may have been made in South Korea. The instrument's value is not a great deal if in good playing condition- it is a worthy if rather low level instrument. Bowlback mandolins do not in general fetch much money, I am afraid. On that basis, any repairs are likely to cost more than the instrument is worth, so if it is not in playing order, its worth without a case is minimal. I am sure others will elaborate, but this mandolin is part of the large crowd of instruments that will not stand out in that crowd but it may be ideal as a starter mandolin for somebody- which gets back to its condition as a primary consideration.

MikeEdgerton
Jun-23-2020, 12:15pm
Most likely built in Japan. If you do a Google Image search (https://www.google.com/search?q=japanese+bowlback+mandolin&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiwkpTat5jqAhXZIN8KHQBgB9QQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=japanese+bowlback+mandolin&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1DD9wNYzoMEYIOJBGgAcAB4AIABPogBkQO SAQE4mAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWc&sclient=img&ei=RzjyXvDSLtnB_AaAwJ2gDQ&bih=740&biw=1289&client=firefox-b-1-d) using the terms "Japanese Bowlback Mandolin" you'll see several with similar pickguards and trim. Some are more ornate, some less. The brand name Orpheus was used on instruments as far back as the 30's and was probably captured by an importer and used to import this mandolin from the mid to late 70's through the 90's. There are a few mentions of the brand name through the years on the Cafe. By the way, here's (https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/80025750) one on ShopGoodwill. Price wise it's not going to buy a car, make a house payment or put a child through college. You might be able to have a nice dinner at a mid-priced restaurant for two or three people provided you can find a buyer.

BonnieWegner
Jun-23-2020, 1:00pm
Thanks Nick and Mike!

Jim Garber
Jun-23-2020, 1:07pm
Similar ones were sold under the Kent label among others and were probably made by Suzuki as Mike noted, in Japan in the 1970s.

vic-victor
Jun-27-2020, 12:42am
Japan it is. Someone has certainly been creative making a replacement bridge and bolting it to the top (at the wrong side of the cant, too), which is not a strong selling point, I am afraid.

Jim Garber
Jun-27-2020, 6:17am
Yikes. How did I ever miss the custom “feature”?

MikeEdgerton
Jun-27-2020, 7:36am
I saw the bridge, didn't think it was bolted down. I just assumed it was adjustable.

MikeEdgerton
Jun-27-2020, 8:54am
I also don't think they made it, I'm going to guess that came off an imported guitar.