PDA

View Full Version : What to buy

Roydw3
Aug-27-2005, 3:04pm
I have now been playing mandolin for a whopping three weeks. I have two mandolins, both beginner models. I took one in to have a professional set up done and played some Gold Tones that sounded great and they were only about $800. If I continue to improve and love the mandolin, I am going to want a better mandolin. The owner of the shop said she sells alot of Gold Tones that are in the $1500 range that have and incredible sound. Do you go with something like that?

If you save your money for the next mandolin that is not a $5K model. What would you spend it on? (1500-3000) Or would you wait and keep playing a beginner mandolin until you could save up for $5K+ model?

Thanks for the info

sunburst
Aug-27-2005, 3:38pm
Well, I'll be the first (of many, probably) to say that, in that price range, you can get an A style mandolin of top quality. Not top beginner quality, but top quality.
If that's the priority, forget about points and scrolls. If you must have points and scrolls, you can still get a pretty darned good mandolin in the upper part of that price range. The market opens up quite as lot around $3000.

Play lots of mandolins, ask fellow players to play them and tell you what they think, and be prepared for much difference in opinion.

Also, don't take forever making up your mind. Just get a good one. After you've been playing longer, you may want to keep it, or sell it and get another.

fatt-dad
Aug-27-2005, 4:00pm
I see very nice mandolins (and have sold a few) in the 'cafe classifieds. Keep your eyes pealed for an A-model. That said, if you're going to $3000.00 you have lots of options that include scrolls. Case in point is a Stiver f-model in the classifieds (nothing in it for me), that I bet is loud, complex, well made and wonderful. I just sold a Stiver A, which is all that too, without the scroll. You may also look at Flatiron A-models.

Enjoy the hunt.

f-d

doc holiday
Aug-27-2005, 4:22pm
$1500-$3000 can buy a lot in an instrument. My personal bias is towards North American made instruments or small shop mandolins. #There is a tremendous amount of sound and wonderful workmanship (in new instruments)in Collings MT, Gibson A9 and the new Weber Bearpaw w/ cedar top (as a few examples). #As you can see there are also lots of choices in in the classifieds. #As #primarily a guitar player I could tell types and years of origin of lots of Martins and Gibsons, but developing an ear for the sound of another instrument takes time. #I've met great fiddlers who in addition to being great players, could comment with incredible accuracy on the subtle differences in tone of various fiddles and bows. #I would learn to play on the instrument you have and save for a quantum leap (be it $1500 or $3000 or more) instrument. #Most off-shore factory instruments lack the complexity of tone as well the playability of N.American made instruments in the 1500+ range. #Play as many instruments as you can and visit some shops that have lots of mandolins and have sales people who play the instrument. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif #
Good Luck
Doc

Roydw3
Aug-27-2005, 4:34pm
The problem I have in trying out instruments is that the shops in Midland and Odessa, don't have be three mandolins total, and they are all about the same quality as I have already. I drove to McCamey, 120 mile round trip, yesterday and looked at the gold tone, I thought it was much better than mine, but still, I didn't get that "top of the line" feel. Dallas is 5.5 hours away (closest of the big cities), Austin is about 6, San Antonio is about 8 and so on. I am going to be going to Alabama soon and when I do, I am going to try to find some places along I20 to stop and check out mandolins. I appreciate the input and names and models recommended.

Brad Weiss
Aug-27-2005, 4:41pm
Denny-
What style of music do you want to play? This will make a huge difference in what you can find at this price. #Are you a traditionalists, or do you like a funky looking axe? The Gold Tones are the Rigel knock-offs, right? For $1500 you can get an ACTUAL Rigel A+ (used), and for 3k you can get pretty close to a G 110, the real deal. #If you want a Bluegrass instrument, there are TONS of options at this price- I'm a huge fan of Phoenix, and you can find a NeoBlugrass (used) under 3k, and a NeoClassical (used) under 3k, and between these two models you'll be able to play any style you can think of- and they'll probably hold their value.

I think 3k is a lot to pay for an instrument -BUT I would advise you to buy the best instrument you can afford, in some ways, ESPECIALLY as a beginner, because you'll stick with it if you aren't fighting your instrument and constantly thinking about what other models you'd prefer. #I'd also say you can certainly get a very solid instrument for under a grand and enjoy the hell out of it for a life time. #Go play stuff, and keep having fun!

ab4usa
Aug-27-2005, 4:50pm
Denny,

Only 390 miles to visit Bill Bussman and play an Old Wave. Wonderful A% or oval, great sound and Bill is a very funny guy.

Roydw3
Aug-27-2005, 6:19pm
Brad, I want to play bluegrass primarily, but would like to have some flexibility. I have looked at the Rigel and think is a serious option. I looked at the Pheonix also. The thing is, most of these are just names to me. I haven't heard them and I don't know what to look for exactly when I see them. I am leaning toward getting the best A than I can get.

Alan, where is Bill Bussman? I travel quite a bit and am looking for places on my routes (hard to find good information). I am not opposed to going to spend a little time in a store if it is not too far from my destination, but I don't have time or money for an 800 mile round trip. How would I get in contact with him?

San, that sounds like a good idea...what do you do? Do you put it on your Mastercard and then check it out or do you make some kind of arrangements with the seller before you pay? I am interested in hearing the particulars.

thanks for all the input...

I am still interested in sellers anywhere near I-20 between Odessa, Texas and Birmingham, Alabama. (I head north from there to Hunstville).

ab4usa
Aug-27-2005, 6:47pm
Denny click on the builders icon and look up old wave. His stuff is just wonderful and he is a hoot. He's in New Mexico.

BlueGrass101
Aug-27-2005, 8:30pm
My grandpa always said that its not the instriment its how you play the instriment

fatt-dad
Aug-27-2005, 9:14pm
Yeah and on ebay there is a Flatiron Festival F (2001 Nashville) that is unbid at $1,800.00. Nothing in it for me, but it's likely a good mandolin.

f-d

kyblue
Aug-27-2005, 11:06pm
Denny,

If you're heading to Huntsville, you'll be too close to Nashville and Gruhn's to pass up the chance to play some good ones.

Paula

Roydw3
Aug-27-2005, 11:12pm
Paula, I am soooooo tempted...I was thinking the same way. Maybe...
thanks

Rick Crenshaw
Aug-28-2005, 1:53pm
The problem I have in trying out instruments is that the shops in Midland and Odessa, don't have be three mandolins total,
Watch the classified, ebay, and other used instrument sales. Inform yourself of relative market values. Learn how to minimize risks in buying over the net. If you buy smart, you can likely get your money back on quality used instruments. That way you can try them out for a while. Be careful, but it can be done. Just wait for really good deals on A9's or F9s, Collings MT or MFs, Stivers, Old Waves, etc, etc,. I've seen some real deals here and there. If you're ready to buy and play it smart but quick when they pop up, you can try a lot of mandos over a period of time.

acousticphd
Aug-28-2005, 3:26pm
Denny,

To the above advice, I would add - don't consider buying a Gold Tone mandolin as your next instrument. They may well be pretty good, and much better than you have. But based on what you are willing to spend, there are numerous fine examples of handcrafted A-style mandolins for under $2000 (Old Wave, Laura Ratcliff, Givens Legacy, plus used Flatirons and Gibsons, just to name a few) - you'll be glad you were patient and shopped and learned some more. I will also put in a plug for Howard Morris - he has a few for sale now, and Jon Mann, who it appears just sold the A7 he had listed. These guys make good, handmade mandos for around $1000.

A couple other names

Doug Edwards
Aug-28-2005, 5:23pm
I20?

Charlie's Guitar Shop, Dallas; Waco Vintage Instruments, Mansfield (bus 287 of I20); or the GC in Arlington had a nice Flatiron Artist F5 for $3,500. Not much else in the DFW area, but there are some good small builders nearby. Check out the builders section.

Aug-28-2005, 7:29pm
I am going to be going to Alabama soon and when I do, I am going to try to find some places along I20 to stop and check out mandolins.
What shops are along/near I-20 in Alabama? The one in Homewood but I don;t know of another one.

luckylarue
Aug-29-2005, 7:52am
There have been a couple of really nice F models in the classifieds for around $1800. The Silver Angel and the Pomeroy #8 - It's rare to see a nice F for under $2K...very tempting indeed.

PatrickH
Aug-29-2005, 1:31pm
For that money your could get a mando, of professional quality that you would never have to sell. These would, conversly, retain value should you choose to sell. My recommendations for your price in that vein include:

Collings MT (A style, no appointments) - $1800 new $1450 or so used.

Collings MT-2 (A style, appointments)- $3200 new $2250 or so used

Collings MF (F style, no appointments) - $3250 or so used.

Phoenix Bluegrass (double cut-away) - $3000 or so used.

Phoenix NeoBluegrass (double cut-away) - $2880 new

If you want to save money, the Collings MT is a great value. It is also a great all-around instrument. Put heavy round-wound strings on it for Bluegrass or Dr Thomastiks for Celtic/Classical. It will respond well in either scenario. I have one and do not plan to sell it no matter what I get later.

If you have scroll envy and can find a used Collings MF it is another great value.

Both Phoenix and Collings are American made, professional quality instruments that you can be pround to own in any situation. Both tend to move better than many independants (other than the really big names) thus holding value.

Pat

KevinM
Sep-06-2005, 5:19pm
A Flatiron Festival F, Nashville made circa 2001 is essentially an F5G, and is one sweet mando at $1800.

jugband
Oct-05-2005, 2:25am
There have been a couple of really nice F models in the classifieds for around $1800. #The Silver Angel and the Pomeroy #8.
One of those Silverangels is now mine. It arrived yesterday.

I immediately called an impromptu jam session, and took that opportunity to play it head-to-head with a Weber Fern, in front of four other BG musicians.

The Silverangel was louder than the Fern, and had a tone that was more mellow and woody, to boot. Everyone, including the Weber owner, commented that it drove the Weber into the ground, sound-wise.

When a $3,000 mandolin compares the way it did to a $6,000 mandolin, that's a huge compliment.

The Weber owner is now making noises about getting a Silver Angel for himself, though he already has a Flatiron and a Weber.

I'd highly recommend checking out http://www.silverangelmandolins.com or keeping an eye on the classifieds here for a used Silverangel.

Pete Martin
Oct-06-2005, 10:21am
"Collings MT (A style, no appointments) - $1800 new $1450 or so used."

These are the best sounding instruments I've played for the least amount of money.

Bob DeVellis
Oct-06-2005, 2:05pm
I'll cast my vote with the Collings MT or MT2. Amazing quality for the price. They're also readily available and quite consistent. There are other good choices in your price range. Small builders can make great instruments but it can be tough to find one and try it out before you commit. Collings is pretty widely distributed. I believe their web site has a list of dealers and you can check for ones on your planned route, call ahead to see what they have in stock, and try 'em out on your trip. If you know that a dealer has a couple of Collings A's in stock, you can be pretty sure that you'll be able to leave that shop with a mandolin you'll love. Personally, of the most accessible instruments (in terms of availability), I think Collings is tough to beat. On the other hand, if you find something else besides a Collings that really moves you in one of the shops you stop at, go for it. We live in a golden age of mandolins, with many builders large and small making really terrific instruments. The best thing to do is handle a few and listen to them back-to-back. In your price range, any A-style should be a wonderful instrument with no compromises of sound or playability. Beyond that, it will just come down to your personal preferences. Trust your own judgment. No matter what you buy, at some point some jerk will tell you you made a mistake because you didn't get one just like his/hers. Ignore any such comments. In truth, there are many excellent choices in that price range among a-styles. For bluegrass, I'd recommend f-holes over oval holes, but beyond that, let your senses be your guide.

picksnbits
Oct-06-2005, 3:41pm
I test-drove a couple of Collings when I was shopping and liked them a lot. I bought a Silver Angel as it was much more for the money.

From what I recall, the Collings(es) I tried had a mellower tone, might be considered more versatile than my Silver Angel. I'd say my Silver Angel has a more aggressive bluegrass oriented tone. Most of the descriptions I've heard others give of their Angels sounded like they were pretty consistently toward the aggressive side. From the makers web site "They are characteristicly dark and woody toned, with plenty of volume."

salleyann
Oct-06-2005, 3:48pm
WHEN YOU'RE IN BIRMINGHAM, STOP AND SEE HERB TROTMAN AT
"FRETTED INSTRUMENTS" IN HOMEWOOD. NFI, JUST DEALT WITH HIM
SECERAL TIMES.

niagaraflsbob
Oct-06-2005, 11:16pm
for this price range your should be able to find a tremendous amount of quality.. personal opinion, look at a-style mandos and youcould end up with a life-time instrument. highly suggest you look at the cafe classifieds often and do some price shopping. i recently bought a capek a5 standard(no frills a-style with f-holes) for $750 w/ case & was extremely happy. don't discount czech makers (with their violin making background). most sellers on the classifieds are honest about what they are selling and i have never had a problem. be concern with playability first and foremost. i don't care if you paid 10k for a "great" mando, if its a sruggle to play you wont like it. tone is more important then volume. a nice balnced tone across all strings and octaves. if possible listen to someone else play the mando while you listen. lastly, buy what you feel sounds and plays the best. don't let the f-style and scroll envy be to big a part of your buying decision. there are lots of killer a-style mandos out there in your price range

Rick Schmidlin
Oct-07-2005, 10:18am
"Collings MT (A style, no appointments) - $1800 new $1450 or so used."

These are the best sounding instruments I've played for the least amount of money.
I agree.

If I was on a desert island and could only have one mandolin (with lot's of strings) and a budget of under $2,000.00 the MT would be my first choice. As for the statement that it does not have as great a Bluegrass chop as the Anegel. I have some killer MT's in recent jams and it's all there. I have a MF 5 that I adore from Ode To Joy to Clinch Mt. Backstep.

picksnbits
Oct-07-2005, 12:20pm
I sure didn't mean to be knocking the Collings in any way, just trying to point out the differences between it and the Silver Angel I bought. The Collings I tried was not lacking anything soundwise and the fit and finish were the best of anything I looked at. The Silver Angel had great tone and more bells and whistles for the money (varnish finish, scroll, fully bound). Soundwise, either of them would be more than qualified to do anything I'm capable of doing with a mando (which is mainly slap out some pretty crudely aggressive bluegrass). My perception was that the Silver Angel might have a bit more growl and the Collings might be a bit more versatile. IMHO, YMMV

Rick Schmidlin
Oct-07-2005, 1:20pm
But if you later upgrade the MT will sell quicker.

Phil Jolly
Oct-07-2005, 1:57pm
A couple of builders you might want to check out are Andy Poe of Driftwood Mandolins and Laura Ratcliff. Andy has an A-style up for sale on his site right now and there is a Ratcliff A on the classifieds. I have a Driftwood A style and its a wonderful mando, and a good friend of mine has one of Laura's A-styles and it blows my mind every time I play it. If I had the cash, I'd already have bought that Ratcliff on the classifieds.

Kbone
Oct-07-2005, 2:55pm
I have a great sounding Gibson F5G for a great price, it's a Derrington era, and was hand picked from Nashville.I need some quick cash so I'm selling it for 2,600.

Burner
Oct-07-2005, 3:36pm
Another vote for the MT. Every time I pick mine up I marvel at its beauty and its tone - Even with me pickin'.

steve V. johnson
Oct-07-2005, 5:01pm
That new Laura Ratcliff is one of her most beautiful yet! Whew!!!

stv

8STRINGR
Oct-08-2005, 9:35pm
Hello,

If you'd feel up to traveling to WV check out Buddy Davis or go to www.davismandolins.com or even check out the October '05 issue of "Bluegrass Unlimited Magazine". There is an article about Buddy who has played and built custom mandolins and banjos for several years now. In fact, he built Larry Stephenson's mandolin, who has been playing the "Davis" for over twenty years. Buddy's also included in the "Eye Candy" section of Mandolincafe's webpage. His (Buddy's) webpage also shows on one of two occasions, Bill Monroe back stage at the Opry playing one of his Davis mandolins and was quoted to say that it was a very nice instrument. The pictures on his webpage (in my opinion) doesn't do justice to what his actual mandolins look like. I've seen them personally. Buddy's only a few miles from me.

Buddy uses Curly Maple back and sides and Fern tops in the construction of his mandolins. Buddy builds both "A" and "F" models. I had recently wanted to have him build me one but I had ran into sudden financial obligations that has held me off for the time being. He can probably build you an "F" model around the $3K mark (contact him on this price "guesstimate") and you'll be getting a well made instrument that you'll no doubt want to hang on to as you're playing and learning gets better.

His price may vary if you'd want an "A" model. I know this is taking you to your limits but this would be a GREAT investment as well. Check Buddy's article out or contact him at his webpage if you have any questions. Good Luck in you findings!