PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Ryan

mad dawg
Aug-26-2005, 6:27pm
I just picked up Jimmy Ryan's 2002 release Lost Diamond Angel (http://store.milesofmusic.com/Page_1/26794CD.html), and can't stop listening to it. He was the mandolin player for the now defunct Boston alt.country band Blood Oranges, and has worked with fellow MC'er John McGann in the Beacon Hillbillies. This CD (as well as fellow Blood Orange Cheri Knight's CDs) picks up where the Blood Oranges left off, with a couple BG-influenced cuts as well. He also has a new CD out which I have not heard, and his discography at his website (http://www.jimmyryan.net/discog.html), which inlcudes other artists CDs he has played on, is pretty impressive.

luckylarue
Aug-26-2005, 9:34pm
I've got it - one of my faves for sure. Great songwriting and music. I really like his style of mandolin playing - not your standard bluegrass picking. The tune about John Brown has found it's way on many a cd mix.

ira
Aug-27-2005, 3:00pm
was lucky enough to take lesson with jimmy at the suggestion of john m. he is a great guy and a phenomenal player who is able to play traditionally and to expand to almost any type of music.

mad dawg
Aug-28-2005, 12:27pm
I am really digging the tune on the CD named "Hard Time"; especially that emando cross-picking wah-wah-pedal solo thing he does on the track.

Ira, are you in the Boston area then? If so, have you seen Jimmy live? (Or the Oranges for that matter?)

ira
Aug-29-2005, 11:37am
yes and he is phenomenal. haven't caught him with john mcgann yet (forget the name they play under) but heard its amazing.

Don Christy
Sep-17-2005, 9:22am
I am really digging the tune on the CD named "Hard Time"; especially that emando cross-picking wah-wah-pedal solo thing he does on the track.

Ira, are you in the Boston area then? If so, have you seen Jimmy live? (Or the Oranges for that matter?)
I bought the CD based on this thread and it just arrived. I'm listening to "Hard Time" right now. Wow this is a great CD. Highly recommended.

Oh, wait, here comes the wah wah electric mando. Very cool. I recently bought a EM-200 electric mando from the classifieds. I guess I have to get a wah now!

Don