PDA

View Full Version : Is this scrap?

chilos
May-10-2020, 10:57am
Doing my first carved top and I hit this knot. It goes all the way through from the side to the centre. Is there any way of salvaging it or is this firewood?

Bill McCall
May-10-2020, 11:15am
Colored tops can hide many things. Either black, white, cranberry, red or sunburst might do the trick.

belbein
May-10-2020, 6:37pm
Also, depending on where it is and how creative you want to be, you can incorporate the knot into a bit of marquetry. My first build, I had a really ugly knot right in the middle of the back. I decided to marquet it (I'm assuming that's the right verb form) into a mouse. Then I added a few more mice to complete the them. Marquetry is no harder than inlay ... in fact, I learned some tricks from marquetry and that I use in inlay.

In case you don't know, here's my philosophy. I don't do these for a living. I don't have to be cost- or time-efficient. I am doing it to have fun and learn. So every total charlie foxtrot is an opportunity to learn. Once it's a charlie foxtrot, what's the worst that can happen? But maybe that's all just rationalization because I'm not very good at building.

chilos
May-11-2020, 7:27am
A bit of marquetry - that's a brilliant idea, thanks. Like you, I don't do this for a living, so can afford to spend a bit more time than is commercially sensible doing stuff I enjoy - inlay in particular.
You've also made me realise I can salvage an English yew guitar back someone gave me, already jointed and thicknessed, with a poorly disguised knot in the centre of one side of the lower bout that I had more or less given up on.
Happy days.

belbein
May-13-2020, 12:38am
I'll try to remember to post pics of the Mouse Mando.

belbein
May-14-2020, 8:57pm
Here's the "Mouse Mando." The back had a pretty good size knot that was totally discolored, and I though about sending the piece back (it was a Saga kit) but realized it was cheap because it was s**t and I wouldn't get anything better. I decided to learn marquetry and did this. Not yet finished, which is good, because at the time I wasn't very good at finishing. My first mando, my first marquet.

SammyV
May-14-2020, 9:19pm
Here's the "Mouse Mando."

I love it