PDA

View Full Version : Could someone help with information on this old Mandolin

guitar1956
May-10-2020, 4:13am
Any information on this Mandolin would be appreciated

brunello97
May-10-2020, 11:52am
Well..... Via Gaetano Fiiangieri is in Naples.

Carmine Silvestri made mandolins under his own name with other labels ...from another address where he touted being a student of the brothers Calace.

Which of course is certainly interesting.

Rafael Calace had multiple addresses for his shop but one was on via Chiaia not so far from CS address here.

Some fratelli Calace labels locate their shop on Via Quercia, but others had no address listed.

Can you post some other images and tell us more about it from your perspective?

Mick

guitar1956
May-10-2020, 1:47pm
Thanks for the prompt reply, it belonged to an old uncle I’m now 64 years old and it has been about for as long as I can remember,the neck has some damage and has been repaired not very well.Have you any idea of the age and the significance of the 22 on the sticker 185664185663185665185666
Regards

brunello97
May-10-2020, 5:37pm
It is a pretty nice looking mandolin..

Could be #22...as in CS's 22nd mandolin but I'm supposing the "22" refers to the street address on Via Gaetano Filangieri. In Italy you'll often you'll see the address number after the street name, rather than before: Via Gaetano Filangieri 22

Looks like it was hand written on the label at the same time as the street..ran out of room.

Do you think your uncle purchased the instrument in Italy? Anything more you can share about it?

What happened to the neck? Can't really surmise from the photos.

I'd put the age at likely between 1895 and 1905. Could be as new as 1910. Certainly pre WW1.

Mick