PDA

View Full Version : One Chord Used for G6 | Em | and Cmaj7

250sc
Aug-23-2005, 11:40am
I posted this in the Jazz section and had one person try to explain what is happening but would like some more clearification if possible.

A while back I learned Four, by Miles Davis on guitar but when trying to play it on mandolin found some of the intervals too difficult to play so I set it aside for a while.

Last weekend I tried it again and in doing so, not only played the intervals that previously stumped me, but also had a revelation of sorts when working on the chords.

I ended up playing the voicing that I use for a 6th chord, (G6=(low pitch string to high) 4,2,5,3) over an Em chord. I also ended up using the same pattern two frets higher (low to high=6,4,7,5) where I normally play a Dmaj7. (If I drop this down two frets it should be able to replace a Cmaj7 so I’m playing the same chord for a G6, Em7 and Cmaj7.)

In one phrase the chord are | Dmaj7 | Fm7 | Em7 | A7 |and it sounds fine to play
|6,4,7,5 | 5,3,6,4 | 4,2,5,3 |6,5,4,5 |

I realize that Em is the relative minor to the G so there are lots of notes in common but what’s up with substituting this chord for a Cmaj7?

I hope someone here can explain this to me.

Thanks in advance.

mandocrucian
Aug-23-2005, 11:51am
G6 = G B D E
Em7 = E G B D
CMaj7 = C E G B
CMaj9 = C E G B D

in your G6 voicing:
frets 4 2 5 3 = B E D G

Niles H

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Rhythm Mandolin Boot Camp (http://www.ext.vt.edu/resources/4h/holiday/mandolinbuilding.html), Oct 23-26</span>

duuuude
Aug-23-2005, 12:08pm
Gotta love them substitutions.

Niles, I've noticed you list some sub chords in your books, is there any definitive resource which shows the common substitutions for all chords?

250sc
Aug-23-2005, 2:56pm
Thanks Niles.

So, I'm playing a Cmaj9 over the Cmaj7 and in this case it seems to work.

I'll keep trying it with different songs to see where it does and doesn't work.

Does anyone else play Four? The original version that I learned was in Eb but I dropped it a half step to facilitate playing it on mandolin, besides, when jamming with others they might dig their heels in if you say it's in Eb but D is much less intimidating.

Thanks again.

BTW, I do own Up the Neck and Pentatonic Mandolin. Great stuff.