PDA

View Full Version : fretboard support opinion?

justrythym
Mar-29-2020, 11:11am
Guys what wood is acceptable for the fretboard extension support? I have, Ebony, Maple, or Ironwood. Thanks Gentleman

jim simpson
Mar-29-2020, 5:34pm
I've used Maple since that's what I used for the neck. I have a blonde Collings with a Ebony support. It looks cool in contrast.

justrythym
Mar-29-2020, 6:29pm
Thanks, yea I just didn’t know if there was a advantage or disadvantage.

sunburst
Mar-29-2020, 7:05pm
Thanks, yea I just didn’t know if there was a advantage or disadvantage.

No major difference.
In my opinion stability is the most important factor. Also, I try to make all material decisions with total instrument weight in mind, so I like to use the least dense wood that is suitable for the job. Both of those considerations (stability and density) rule out ebony for me, but it is the material of choice for many builders.

justrythym
Mar-29-2020, 7:12pm
Ebony doesn’t adhere and glue up as well as some other woods, does it? I have read that somewhere? Thx.

rcc56
Mar-29-2020, 7:53pm
It's a good idea to wipe ebony down with alcohol or lacquer thinner before gluing. The same is true for rosewood.

justrythym
Mar-29-2020, 8:03pm
Think I may go with maple. I like the look of ebony. Maple dont take black stain very well. What about spraying the maple with black nitro? Before installing? Leaving the contact with the top unpainted? Thx.

sunburst
Mar-29-2020, 9:33pm
It's a good idea to wipe ebony down with alcohol or lacquer thinner before gluing. The same is true for rosewood.

I've heard and read that many times, but my "education" tells me it is better to refresh the surface (by shaving, scraping, sanding) within 15 minutes of gluing rather than wiping with solvent.

rcc56
Mar-29-2020, 10:57pm
I like an ebony or rosewood guitar bridge to look "dry and hungry" before I glue it. These days, I wipe, and then if it still looks oily, I'll give it another sanding or scraping, then sometimes wipe again.

I haven't had a flat-top bridge job come loose prematurely in quite a while.

For a fretboard support, the stress is lower, and I wouldn't worry too much about glue failure.

You could try to pre-finish a piece of maple, but the finish might get damaged before you get everything together. If you do pre-finish anything, yes, you must leave all gluing surfaces unfinished.

buckhorn
Mar-29-2020, 11:12pm
I've always used maple for the extension.. And I've given many, many pieces away with rim and neck sets that I've made for others.. Being the cheep old guy that I am, I never waste materials.. And there can be a lot of useable scrap left over..

justrythym
Apr-02-2020, 3:34pm
Rcc56, I finally got around to making this fretboard support. I tried the ebony but what I had was so darn hard I just could do much with it. It was also really oily. When I cut it the oil just rolled out of it. I had some nice maple but it was just a little shy. So I laminated a piece of 1/16 walnut I had to it. I finally figured out how to attach a picture. Anyway, here it is so far. It’s ready for sealer and nitro. I will mask off the unfinished areas. The shape is a little unconventional but it matches the profile of the end of the neck. I will attach a picture when finished. It’s a little proud and will need to be leveled after it’s glue on. Thx. Man just trying to learn.

184736 184737 184738

justrythym
Apr-02-2020, 3:37pm

rcc56
Apr-02-2020, 3:47pm
Looks like a good solution to me.

HoGo
Apr-02-2020, 4:27pm
The shape doesn't have to copy shape of fretboard as closely, Loars usually had just king of tongue 1/4" or so shorter than fretboard without the point. Often without too much rounding, just chamfer somewhat softened with sandpaper.
But I would reduce the gluing surface with top to just as much as is supported by body block (and still flat without rise of arch). In my case that's approx 3/4" from crosspiece. I see yours has almost 2" from crosspiece. That can mute part of the working sundboard....

justrythym
Apr-02-2020, 6:43pm

If it’s necessary I can redo that part. I have sealed it and put the first coat of nitro on it.

Thx. Gentleman

justrythym
Apr-02-2020, 6:59pm

I have a close up picture of a Loar. It is somewhat scalloped? Anyway, I scalloped this one both sides to reduce the footprint. This ones footprint is 1-9/16 long x 1-3/16 wide at the most narrow part of the scallops. Thoughts? 184740

Jeff Mando
Apr-03-2020, 10:52am
I guess this thread could be considered a fretboard support group! :grin:

justrythym
Apr-03-2020, 11:30am
I guess this thread could be considered a fretboard support group! :grin:

Yep! Any thoughts JM?

Jeff Mando
Apr-03-2020, 12:20pm
It looks like you are on the right track. If you don't like the way it looks, just tint it darker to be less obvious. I don't think most of us go looking there normally. Maybe builders do...

Rob Roy
Apr-04-2020, 7:51am
I always was leery of that joint, gluing end grain maple to piece of another material, which was in turn glued to the end grain of the neck. I've seen a picture somewhere of someone putting a steel screw in there to hold it all together. It just doesn't seem like a strong way to support the end of the fretboard. My main concern is down the road, someone pounding frets into the extension area in a refret. Anyway, I came up with an ulterior design where the extension support is glued down to the neck block. Then the extension support and the neck are touch-up leveled before gluing down the neck.184779

HoGo
Apr-04-2020, 3:49pm
I always was leery of that joint, gluing end grain maple to piece of another material, which was in turn glued to the end grain of the neck. I've seen a picture somewhere of someone putting a steel screw in there to hold it all together. It just doesn't seem like a strong way to support the end of the fretboard. My main concern is down the road, someone pounding frets into the extension area in a refret. Anyway, I came up with an ulterior design where the extension support is glued down to the neck block. Then the extension support and the neck are touch-up leveled before gluing down the neck.
I don't see any problem in that original joint, the riser block with crosspiece is glued to body block solidly and also butted against top edge of top plate so there is solid anchor for pressure of neck. The supporthas quite large gluing surface to top and fingerboard bridges over the plastic piece so everything is rock solid and relatively simple to make cleanly. Many of the newly invented joints and supports with added tiny pieces are hard to fit and glue without the glue line showing. If someone breaks the suport during refret he should return back into gorilla enclosure