PDA

View Full Version : Ron Lira emando

wichitamando
Aug-22-2005, 6:41pm
After reading the message board for the last year, it is time for my first post!

I am a relatively new mando player who is strongly consider purchasing an emando. I went to a place in Oklahoma City Friday called Honest Ron's Guitar Shop owned by Ron Lira. It turned out he builds an emando.

I had never played one before, but I had a blast and it sounded great (in my opinion). Seemed like a great buy. Looks good. Sounds good. Played good, although much different than my Kentucky. $650 with a hard shell case.

Does anyone know anything about his stuff? Is he a reputable builder? It seems he primarily builds guitars...

Here's the link: http://www.honestronsguitars.com/mando.htm

The one in the store was a 4-string, with a walnut body. Just a satin oil finish. No flashy colors.

Thanks for your help.

mrmando
Aug-22-2005, 7:21pm
They look really good, especially for $650. You'd be hard pressed to get a quality handbuilt emando for much less.

But I have never played one. What model of Kentucky are you playing?

I wonder if there's someplace in OKC you can try a factory emando, like the Mandobird or Kentucky electric, by way of comparison to Ron's instrument. If he's any good at what he does, you are likely to find that the price difference is worth it. I have Ron listed at emando.com, but I don't even remember if I contacted him about it.

wichitamando
Aug-22-2005, 7:27pm
I'm playing a Kentucky KM-380 A-style with a Fishman pickup. #I bought it almost a year and a half ago. #I like it, but I think it's time to go electric.

I actually live in Wichita, Kansas, and I haven't found any emandos here. #I had gone to Honest Ron's hoping to find a Mid-Mo electric to try. #He said he didn't carry them, because he thought he could do better. #The Mann was looking really good until I saw this one last week.

Christian McKee
Aug-23-2005, 10:14am
It's sure got the look, doesn't it? Nice find! I'd say it's probably worth the effort to find a few other instruments that you can noodle on just for comparisons sake, but you appear to have found a nice one.

Christian

Nathan Sanders
Aug-23-2005, 10:38am
I've been to Honest Ron's on several occasions. I am also in OKC. I've never tried his e-mando though. I had him do a partial refret on my F-5 several months ago and he did a great job. He also replaced my tailpiece which had broken, which was covered by Gibson warranty. He does good work. I believe he is also a Weber dealer. If you plan on visiting his store, though, plan on going on a Monday, Wednesday, or Friday because those are the only days he opens the store. I do know he sells stuff on ebay now and then.