PDA

View Full Version : Hand Made Music on DIY

Lynn Dudenbostel
Mar-14-2004, 6:22pm
Hi... as promised, I'm posting what I know about the series Hand Made Music on DIY (Do It Yourself network). #I was told on Friday that the series will start showing on Friday April 2 at 10:00 (eastern time zone). #Just check the schedule on www.diynet.com. #I'm not sure what show will start the series. #So far, they've taped one show on dulcimer building in Berea, KY, 3 shows on mandolin building in my shop, and 4 shows on guitar building with me also. #They plan on one show a week on Friday nights and then I assume it will go into re-runs at some point. #So, you may tune into the show on April 2 and see a dulcimer being built, or you may see my ugly mug! #The host of the show is Jeff Wilson (HGTV Restore America) and will feature music from Andy Leftwich, Cody Kilby, Scott Vestal, Lucke Bulla, Mark Fain, and others. #Barry Rice, the producer, has some great music going in the background throughout each show. #He loves this music too and it shows! #I think he did a great job. #Doug Klein, the music director at Scripps also had a lot to do with lining up the musicians. #Anyway, if there are any changes, I'll be sure to post what I know. #For those that don't have DIY, maybe someone can tape the series and get a video or DVD circulating among those who want to see it.
Lynn

ShaneJ
Mar-14-2004, 6:49pm
I don't get DIY, but I'd love to see the show. If anyone finds out where I can get a DVD, please post that info. Thanks!

Magnus Geijer
Mar-14-2004, 8:22pm
That's funny. I just now logged on here to ask if anyone knew when that was coming on. I upgraded my whole bleedin' cable package thingie for this, so it better be good! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

/Magnus

P Josey
Mar-14-2004, 8:31pm
As I stated on an earlier thread, we in Canada can't get DIY TV. I'm sure most of us would love the opportunity to see these shows. I was thinking just yesterday, "collectively, we're a pretty resourceful group of individuals here on Mandolin Cafe" If anybody can help us get copies to share, it would be a WONDERFUL thing.

Paul Josey

Lynn Dudenbostel
Mar-14-2004, 9:58pm
I've not ever seen DIY offer their shows for sale on DVD/VHS like the History Channel or some others do, so I wouldn't hold my breath for this one to be offered either. But, as Paul said, this is a pretty resourceful group of folks here. I would think if someone wanted to tape the shows and burn a DVD, it could be circulated among those who can't get the network. I don't have the capability to do that here (or the time!). If you have a friend or relative that gets DIY, that's another possibility.

Lynn

holndav
Mar-14-2004, 10:23pm
Wow! How wonderful.

Thanks for sharing and being part of this.

We just got a DVR which means we'll be sure to catch it. I just need to remember to set it...

David

douglas2cats
Mar-15-2004, 6:54am
DIY's WoodWorks show also gets aired on HGTV most Saturday mornings (at least in my area). For those of us without DIY, maybe we'll get lucky and this will get aired on HGTV too.

kbatschke
Mar-16-2004, 6:50pm
Congrats Lynn,

That is just awesome. I wondered how long before instrument building would hit the HGTV or DIY networks.
Very cool.

Karl

Andy R
Mar-17-2004, 2:10pm
I looked at the DIY site and I don't see it listed at all on April 2nd. Is this only going to be shown in certain areas?

Andy

Andy R
Mar-17-2004, 2:14pm
I looked back at the DIY listing and I did notice a few TBAs. They probably haven't listed it yet.

Andy

Lynn Dudenbostel
Mar-17-2004, 2:19pm
I just found out last Thursday that it was going to air on April 2, so I assume the DIY web site will be updated in the next week or two. I know they taped some promo spots while we were at Skaggs studio. I assume they will start showing some of those soon too.

Lynn

Andy R
Mar-17-2004, 7:51pm
Thanks Lynn. I'm very much looking forward to it. Even though I have to have my dad tape it for me.

Andy

Lynn Dudenbostel
Mar-22-2004, 10:23am
Just got word that the first show for Hand Made Music on April 2 will be a one hour special, with emphasis on guitar building. A bit more music than the regular series too, I think. After that, the half hour shows will start airing each Friday for 8 weeks. I should get a copy of the special to review in the next few days. I'll let you know more when I find out.

Lynn

Flowerpot
Mar-24-2004, 12:09pm
For those os you with TIVO, the title is "Handmade Music", not "Hand Made Music". I used the latter as a title search, and my TIVO didn't find it, but it finds the former OK.

crawdad
Mar-24-2004, 1:41pm
Lynn--If I was you, I'd ask the network to make a DVD set of the shows...maybe a partnership thing. Maybe they just don't know what they have here. I think it would be of great interest to luthiers everywhere. I don't get the channel its on and I'm bummed. I would pay to see the whole series.

As an alternate, I would certainly pay someone to make me copies of the shows. I want to see this series!

ShaneJ
Mar-24-2004, 1:53pm
Me too.

Chris Cantergiani
Mar-24-2004, 1:56pm
Thank you for the update on this Lynn, and Thank you Flowerpot for the TIVO tip! I've been planning on season-passing this thing, and haven't gotten around to it yet!
I love TIVO almost as much as my mando!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif
Chris

P Josey
Mar-24-2004, 2:03pm
I agree with Crawdad and think it would be a great idea to have access to these shows.Perhaps we should start a new thread to see who else would be interested in seeing Lynn do a series of videos , or make the DIY videos available. Perhaps we could help convince Dude or DIY TV. What do you think?

ethanopia
Mar-25-2004, 9:00am
What a bummer Sam Bush is playing that night in Hamilton Ohio and I think I must attend! but I'm sure that DIY will air it again

-e

P Josey
Apr-03-2004, 5:37am
Did anybody tape the 1st show ? How was it? Be willing to send a copy for us to share? It would be a WONDERFUL thing!Anybody?

Paul Josey

Bill Snyder
Apr-03-2004, 9:15am
DIY Network is showing each episode several times. From DIYnetwork.com Episode One times as follows:

10:00 PM Eastern
April 03, 2004

1:00 AM Eastern
April 03, 2004

April 04, 2004

April 04, 2004

8:30 PM Eastern
April 04, 2004

11:30 PM Eastern
May 28, 2004

May 29, 2004

May 29, 2004

May 30, 2004

8:30 PM Eastern
May 30, 2004

11:30 PM Eastern

Dave Voyles
Apr-03-2004, 10:30am
I saw the first one last night -- Lynn building a guitar. It was great but only a half hour show here in the Cincinnati area.

Lynn Dudenbostel
Apr-04-2004, 4:25pm
They had planned to show the one hour special (overview of guitar building) but decided to air it later in the series. So, they started out with the first of 4 shows in the guitar building series, then will go into the 3 shows on mandolin building afterwards. The one hour special will be shown at a later date.

Lynn

JGWoods
Apr-04-2004, 5:38pm
I really enjoyed the first show. You make it all look so easy....
best,
gw

ethanopia
Apr-05-2004, 8:14am
yeah very cool show.

I liked how much detail they went into, very informative as if they think we might actually use the show to make a guitar, Imagine that, I'm used to these kinda shows, on other networks, being more general and frankly useless. Not that I'm jumping into luthiery though.

Not being a builder I have a question, Why the dial on the dremel tool during cutting the sound hole? Is that to check for runout? or out of round-ness or depth?

just curious...

thanks
-e

Lynn Dudenbostel
Apr-05-2004, 11:52am
The dial on the Dremel is an adaptation of idea I got from Ted Davis. I added a dial indicator to a fixture like his so I could measure the width of the channel I'm cutting very accurately. That way, it's not hit and miss on getting the right fit for the purfling strips. I know my bit is 0.062", I set the dial with the needle pointing at that number, then of I need a 0.115" channel, I can just stop when its adjusted to a dial reading of 0.115". Simple, faster, and very accurate.

Lynn

Bruce H
Apr-09-2004, 9:48pm
Hi Lynn,
I've enjoyed both of the shows, but I do have a question: What is the white glue that you are using? #Is it the glue sold by LMI as "Instrument Makers glue?"
Thanks,
Bruce