PDA

View Full Version : Just bought my first mandolin!

Belle Starr
Mar-16-2020, 10:45am
Hi, Newbie here, first post, though I have been reading a lot of posts the past couple weeks. I decided to take up the mandolin and did a lot of research and this group popped up all the time. What a wonderful place to come for information!! Anyway, I have played a bit of guitar and banjo and decided why not?! This is what I ended up buying, I thought it was so beautiful, so took my chances with a 14 day return policy. Am wondering if anybody has any info. Name inside it is Brookdale guitars. I could not find one lick, :)) I think it sounds amazing, but I have not played any other mando ever. Anybody ever heard of this name??

NickR
Mar-16-2020, 10:49am
It looks like one of Bruce Wei's instruments or the other fellow in Vietnam. That tailpiece looks like the crown of Denmark- or the one on the Carlsberg bottle!
Have fun with your new instrument!

Belle Starr
Mar-16-2020, 11:38am
It looks like one of Bruce Wei's instruments or the other fellow in Vietnam. That tailpiece looks like the crown of Denmark- or the one on the Carlsberg bottle!
Have fun with your new instrument!

I am having fun! Learning to play Will the Circle Be Unbroken. Inside where it has the name is also a picture of a couple cowboys and one on a bucking bronco.

allenhopkins
Mar-16-2020, 11:57am
Googled, can't find "Brookdale" as an instrument brand. NickR's initial reaction seems accurate on the face of it: the instrument has the elaborate inlay and tailpiece commonly found on those built in Vietnam and sold on-line by sellers (generally in Taiwan) like Bruce Wei, Antonio Tsai. and others.

Quality of these instruments does tend to vary. They're uniformly visually striking, but sometimes their construction is less than first-class. Buyers have reported failure of metal parts, inlays that fall out, and use of unseasoned wood with subsequent warping.

I hope none of these problems affect your mandolin. A properly adjusted instrument, of whatever brand, can be very good to learn on. I might suggest that you take advantage of any opportunities to try other mandolins, on a comparison basis; you say that you play other instruments, so certainly have a basis for comparing acoustic quality. Also, probably you should be careful as to the conditions under which you keep your instrument; sufficient humidity, at least 45-50%, would be recommended.

Others have reported that the quality of Vietnamese-made instruments may be improving. I sure don't want to be discouraging about your first mandolin; it may be an excellent instrument, but I can't find other instruments with that brand to compile any sort of comparative evaluation.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-16-2020, 12:07pm
This indeed is a mandolin made in Vietnam and sold by one of two major sellers on eBay. They are Antoniotsai and Bruceweiart. The label inside means nothing, someone was buying and reselling it. It could be a good deal as long as you paid very little for it.

Roger Adams
Mar-16-2020, 12:46pm
Wow, lots of bling on that puppy! From the pics, it appears to be well make. Enjoy!

Belle Starr
Mar-16-2020, 12:55pm
Googled, can't find "Brookdale" as an instrument brand. NickR's initial reaction seems accurate on the face of it: the instrument has the elaborate inlay and tailpiece commonly found on those built in Vietnam and sold on-line by sellers (generally in Taiwan) like Bruce Wei, Antonio Tsai. and others.

Quality of these instruments does tend to vary. They're uniformly visually striking, but sometimes their construction is less than first-class. Buyers have reported failure of metal parts, inlays that fall out, and use of unseasoned wood with subsequent warping.

I hope none of these problems affect your mandolin. A properly adjusted instrument, of whatever brand, can be very good to learn on. I might suggest that you take advantage of any opportunities to try other mandolins, on a comparison basis; you say that you play other instruments, so certainly have a basis for comparing acoustic quality. Also, probably you should be careful as to the conditions under which you keep your instrument; sufficient humidity, at least 45-50%, would be recommended.

Others have reported that the quality of Vietnamese-made instruments may be improving. I sure don't want to be discouraging about your first mandolin; it may be an excellent instrument, but I can't find other instruments with that brand to compile any sort of comparative evaluation.

THank you! I tried to find some information on it before I purchased it, but nothing is what I found. I do believe it is one of those Vietnam mandolins and I am going to return it. Luckily I have 14 days. I am not looking to have future disappointments with it so back it goes. I will look for something that is well known, Eastman, Gibson, Kentucky or such. On I go searching for another mandolin!! The hunt is always fun. p.s. I did think it sounded good but am still returning it.

rickbella
Mar-16-2020, 1:21pm
Good call. You'll be happier in the long run.

Simon DS
Mar-16-2020, 1:25pm
Vid?

Doug Brock
Mar-16-2020, 1:37pm
How much did this mandolin cost?

Doug Brock
Mar-16-2020, 1:48pm
It's interesting how overly ornate instruments seem to correlate to either very expensive instruments (such as Martin D50 Deluxe Limited edition https://www.miami-guitars.com/product-page/used-2002-martin-d50-deluxe-limited-edition-of-50-brazilian-rw-bearclaw-sitka) or very cheap instruments (seemingly infinite number of low-end instruments), but not too much in between.

Belle Starr
Mar-16-2020, 1:57pm
Good call. You'll be happier in the long run.

Yes, agree!

- - - Updated - - -

too much haha, glad I can return it!

Belle Starr
Mar-16-2020, 2:00pm
It's interesting how overly ornate instruments seem to correlate to either very expensive instruments (such as Martin D50 Deluxe Limited edition https://www.miami-guitars.com/product-page/used-2002-martin-d50-deluxe-limited-edition-of-50-brazilian-rw-bearclaw-sitka) or very cheap instruments (seemingly infinite number of low-end instruments), but not too much in between.

wow that is beautiful!! I paid too much and glad I can return!

- - - Updated - - -

Vid?

VID?

mtucker
Mar-16-2020, 4:05pm
Kentucky km150 would be a better place to go, very well made for the price.
fX2o1LwVacs
BTW some great free education here... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSrQCaAGJj7DNWu0RQFnmAA

Belle Starr
Mar-16-2020, 4:51pm
Kentucky km150 would be a better place to go, very well made for the price.
fX2o1LwVacs
BTW some great free education here... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSrQCaAGJj7DNWu0RQFnmAA

THank you for that information! I think I want F style, but I will check it out :)

Eric Hanson
Mar-16-2020, 5:36pm
With the goal of F Style, do you have a budget in mind?
If you ofer this figure to the ones here with more experience they will be able to give you some very sound direction to find a decent instrument.
It is often said that The Mandolin Store is a good source for a mandolin that has been set up correctly. They are in the midst of moving, but they might be able to still help out.

Belle Starr
Mar-16-2020, 7:10pm
With the goal of F Style, do you have a budget in mind?
If you ofer this figure to the ones here with more experience they will be able to give you some very sound direction to find a decent instrument.
It is often said that The Mandolin Store is a good source for a mandolin that has been set up correctly. They are in the midst of moving, but they might be able to still help out.

Hi, I am thinking around $700. I will check them out!

Jim Garber
Mar-16-2020, 8:29pm
Lots of info on these forums. Just search for the many threads on newbie or beginner mandolins.

pheffernan
Mar-16-2020, 9:05pm
Hi, I am thinking around $700. I will check them out!

I think your best bet in that range is the Eastman MD315 (ideally used): https://reverb.com/item/32872381-eastman-md315-mandolin-w-hard-case

Eric Hanson
Mar-16-2020, 11:56pm
Belle Starr & pheffernan,
That looks like a great mandolin! So many great features in one. Even a hardshell case.
You would also may be able to get your money out of it in the future if you decided you wanted to upgrade.
Win/Win
FWIW. The Mandolin Store also has one of these new for $745.00. Also a hard to beat price. If you get it from them you would be sure to have it ready to play, and no setup required.

Belle Starr
Mar-17-2020, 5:57am
Lots of info on these forums. Just search for the many threads on newbie or beginner mandolins.

thank you!

Belle Starr
Mar-17-2020, 6:02am
I think your best bet in that range is the Eastman MD315 (ideally used): https://reverb.com/item/32872381-eastman-md315-mandolin-w-hard-case

thank you, checking it out!

- - - Updated - - -

Belle Starr & pheffernan,
That looks like a great mandolin! So many great features in one. Even a hardshell case.
You would also may be able to get your money out of it in the future if you decided you wanted to upgrade.
Win/Win
FWIW. The Mandolin Store also has one of these new for $745.00. Also a hard to beat price. If you get it from them you would be sure to have it ready to play, and no setup required.

thank you!!

Frankdolin
Mar-17-2020, 6:26am
Welcome Belle ! Your willingness to heed the advice offered here shows you'll do fine at your new quest. Play, have fun, and play some more.:mandosmiley:

Belle Starr
Mar-17-2020, 6:42am
Welcome Belle ! Your willingness to heed the advice offered here shows you'll do fine at your new quest. Play, have fun, and play some more.:mandosmiley:

Well thank you!

JEStanek
Mar-17-2020, 7:41am
Welcome to the Cafe and enjoy your fun new mandolin. If possible, have a shop set it up. Adjusting the string height will make those high tension double courses a lot more fun. I'll say as a barely novice player myself, that as you start learning, pretty much any mandolin that has a good comfortable set up is great to learn on. If the looks of this one inspires you to play more, that's great. Have a ton of fun.At the very least, you bought one of the prettiest first mandolins folks have bought!

Jamie

Edit to add: One thing to do even if you don't get it set up, is change out the strings to something nicer like D'Addario EJ74s. That one likely came with not the best strings.

Ugh.. Missed that you are returning. I like the Eastman mandolins a lot. You can get a lot of mandolin for $700, especially if you look at A styles (sound the same as F styles with less cost) or even used. Our classifieds are very safe space to look and consider.

Belle Starr
Mar-17-2020, 10:35am
Welcome to the Cafe and enjoy your fun new mandolin. If possible, have a shop set it up. Adjusting the string height will make those high tension double courses a lot more fun. I'll say as a barely novice player myself, that as you start learning, pretty much any mandolin that has a good comfortable set up is great to learn on. If the looks of this one inspires you to play more, that's great. Have a ton of fun.At the very least, you bought one of the prettiest first mandolins folks have bought!

Jamie

Edit to add: One thing to do even if you don't get it set up, is change out the strings to something nicer like D'Addario EJ74s. That one likely came with not the best strings.

Ugh.. Missed that you are returning. I like the Eastman mandolins a lot. You can get a lot of mandolin for $700, especially if you look at A styles (sound the same as F styles with less cost) or even used. Our classifieds are very safe space to look and consider.

thank you!!:mandosmiley:

Northwest Steve
Mar-17-2020, 10:46am
If you could swing it this would be worth a look. Eastman and Kentucky mandolins have really improved over the years. It could serve you well for a long time. Mando Mutt is a site sponsor. A mandolin from most any sponsor should have at least a decent setup.
http://www.mandomutt.com/products-page/mandolins/2020-eastman-md-515v-amber

I will say that I did want a scroll and had a few. I currently play an A style mandolin with f holes. It is an amazing mandolin, far above my ability. But I could never afford or justify the same mandolin if it was an F5. There is not any difference in sound between an F5 and an A from the same builder. There have been some great professional players that play A style mandolins. So you could possibly get a better mandolin with an A for the same or less money.

Belle Starr
Mar-17-2020, 12:12pm
If you could swing it this would be worth a look. Eastman and Kentucky mandolins have really improved over the years. It could serve you well for a long time. Mando Mutt is a site sponsor. A mandolin from most any sponsor should have at least a decent setup.
http://www.mandomutt.com/products-page/mandolins/2020-eastman-md-515v-amber

I will say that I did want a scroll and had a few. I currently play an A style mandolin with f holes. It is an amazing mandolin, far above my ability. But I could never afford or justify the same mandolin if it was an F5. There is not any difference in sound between an F5 and an A from the same builder. There have been some great professional players that play A style mandolins. So you could possibly get a better mandolin with an A for the same or less money.

Thank you for this information and link, I will check into this!

Belle Starr
Mar-17-2020, 12:25pm
Hey All, A local dealer has an Eastman 805, 2006 model for $650, thoughts??? Yes, I know it's A style :0)

allenhopkins
Mar-17-2020, 12:28pm
Hey All, A local dealer has an Eastman 805, 2006 model for $650, thoughts??? Yes, I know it's A style :0)

That's a very good price for one of their top-end 800 series instruments. Play it and see if you like it.

Belle Starr
Mar-17-2020, 1:17pm
That's a very good price for one of their top-end 800 series instruments. Play it and see if you like it.

heading out soon to give it a try!

Ranald
Mar-17-2020, 3:46pm
Welcome to the Cafe, Belle, and enjoy playing mandolin. I do like the original though -- it seems like a flashback. ;)

Belle Starr
Mar-17-2020, 6:26pm
Welcome to the Cafe, Belle, and enjoy playing mandolin. I do like the original though -- it seems like a flashback. ;)

:mandosmiley:

Belle Starr
Mar-20-2020, 9:32am
What do you all think of the Loar LM520???

Eric F.
Mar-20-2020, 9:50am
In this price range, I think Eastman and Kentucky are the way to go. If you have to have a scroll, an Eastman 315 would likely be your best bet. Others will have different opinions, but mine is the correct one. :)

Belle Starr
Mar-20-2020, 10:05am
In this price range, I think Eastman and Kentucky are the way to go. If you have to have a scroll, an Eastman 315 would likely be your best bet. Others will have different opinions, but mine is the correct one. :)

Haha! Okay, thank you!

J Mangio
Mar-20-2020, 4:16pm
Speaking from my own experience, with a 700 dollar budget, I would jump on the The Loar LM600 in the classifieds.

Charles E.
Mar-20-2020, 5:30pm
+1 for the Eastman 315...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/152330#152330

NFI

Willem
Mar-21-2020, 2:40am
What do you all think of the Loar LM520???
I had a Loar 520 for a while when I started out. I enjoyed it. Get it from a Cafe sponsor that does a set-up, and it will make a good starter instrument. Best f-style at that price point (500-600 new) that I have played. I do agree that you would do better to spend $700 on a used a-style.

Belle Starr
Mar-21-2020, 8:18am
Speaking from my own experience, with a 700 dollar budget, I would jump on the The Loar LM600 in the classifieds.

I will check it out! Thanks

Belle Starr
Mar-21-2020, 8:19am
+1 for the Eastman 315...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/152330#152330

NFI

Looking at this one too! Oh the choices!

Belle Starr
Mar-21-2020, 8:21am
I had a Loar 520 for a while when I started out. I enjoyed it. Get it from a Cafe sponsor that does a set-up, and it will make a good starter instrument. Best f-style at that price point (500-600 new) that I have played. I do agree that you would do better to spend $700 on a used a-style.

So the ones sold here are "cafe sponsored"?

Belle Starr
Mar-21-2020, 8:22am

Reasons to choose A style??? Sell me!

Charles E.
Mar-21-2020, 8:42am
One joke around here is that the scroll on a mandolin is called a "thousand dollar strap holder". Often one can get a better quality A style mandolin for the same amount of money as an F style. Especially used.

That said, in your price range, something like this would be worth a look...

https://www.denverfolklore.com/shop/c/p/Kentucky-KM-505-x46387067.htm

NFI

Good hunting!

Belle Starr
Mar-21-2020, 9:55am
One joke around here is that the scroll on a mandolin is called a "thousand dollar strap holder". Often one can get a better quality A style mandolin for the same amount of money as an F style. Especially used.

That said, in your price range, something like this would be worth a look...

https://www.denverfolklore.com/shop/c/p/Kentucky-KM-505-x46387067.htm

NFI

Good hunting!

Haha! But I like how it looks................... I will ck out your link!

mdgri3
Mar-21-2020, 11:20am
Consider Eastman MD-315. I am so happy with mine. Check out BanjoBen Clark's Store. They will professionally set up, help you with necessary equipment and send right to your door. https://store.banjobenclark.com/
Call and ask for Jake. Tell him Will Cooper (Lifetime Member) sent ya.

Belle Starr
Mar-21-2020, 12:29pm
Consider Eastman MD-315. I am so happy with mine. Check out BanjoBen Clark's Store. They will professionally set up, help you with necessary equipment and send right to your door. https://store.banjobenclark.com/
Call and ask for Jake. Tell him Will Cooper (Lifetime Member) sent ya.

Thank you, I will ck out their website!

Br1ck
Mar-21-2020, 12:38pm
So the ones sold here are "cafe sponsored"?

The term Cafe Sponsor is used here for stores that contribute to keeping the Cafe running and it turn they are listed at the top of the forum pages and the classifieds. Click on the names or store logo to go to their web sites. Gryphon, Elderly Instruments, and The Mandolin Store are just three. They are known to include a setup with every instrument they sell, and all have very good reputations. Several manufacturers also participate. The sponsor prices are really quite good considering the value added service provided. You can buy with confidence from any of them.

Buying from one helps keep this site going.

pheffernan
Mar-22-2020, 8:42am
Reasons to choose A style??? Sell me!

Because you can get an independently built instrument by an established American luthier in the same price range as a factory built import F5:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/152471#152471

Northwest Steve
Mar-22-2020, 9:42am
Because you can get an independently built instrument by an established American luthier in the same price range as a factory built import F5:

I 100% agree with the above and I don't think you could find a better mandolin for the money. A US made mandolin from a small shop builder that has build many mandolins and doing it for a long time. Buy it, you will be glad you did.

Br1ck
Mar-22-2020, 12:24pm
If you are willing to spend about $1200, you can buy a very good A style. Good enough you can walk out of a store after having played the likes of Collings, Weber, and Northfield and think you have a pretty good mandolin at home. It will shift your thinking from if I only had a good mandolin, to if I could only play better. This is an invaluable lesson and well worth the price. I had already come to this realization when one day I took my Silverangel into Gryphon for an adjustment. While waiting I played a lot of nice mandolins. When my SA was brought to me to test, it was every bit as good, different yes, but good. Now I’ve finally put heavier strings on it, there are no excuses left.

If you are on a stricter budget, a Kentucky 900 will get you close. I think the Eastman 300 and 500 are good, but will certainly end up being a stepping stone. I am certainly NOT saying a $1200 mandolin is a cure for MAS, only a time delay.

Look in the classifieds now. Get what I’m talking about for less than $1k

Belle Starr
Mar-22-2020, 12:35pm

I did not know this, thanks!

Belle Starr
Mar-22-2020, 12:46pm
I 100% agree with the above and I don't think you could find a better mandolin for the money. A US made mandolin from a small shop builder that has build many mandolins and doing it for a long time. Buy it, you will be glad you did.

I may be persuaded!

allenhopkins
Mar-22-2020, 1:15pm
Belle -- whatever happened to the Eastman MD805 you were checking out? That struck me as a pretty good deal, price-wise.

yankees1
Mar-22-2020, 1:37pm

I have never found the quality of Eastman mandolins to greatly improve with a higher number model . I had a 815 once and my 300 series Eastman was much better to my ears ! I had the same experience with other Eastman mandolins .

Belle Starr
Mar-22-2020, 4:11pm
Belle -- whatever happened to the Eastman MD805 you were checking out? That struck me as a pretty good deal, price-wise.

Hi, I did go and test it with the 3 chords and scale I know :0) It was nice. Then I picked up a $2000 mandolin and WOW, that was beautiful! I walked out with nothing, not sure what to do. They still have it as I just looked online. So still looking.

Mark Gunter
Mar-22-2020, 4:39pm
For some people, there can be a significant difference in the feel of different neck profiles, so for that reason among others, it's always best to try out different brands wherever you can, rather than relying solely on recommendations from other players. Eastman mandolins are great, but the feel of the neck is not for me. I would prefer the Kentucky. But many people prefer Eastman as a starter instrument. Just goes to my point. I know it's not possible for everyone to try before buying, but I think everyone would agree that trying out as many as you can get your hands on is a good idea if you can swing it.

Simon DS
Mar-22-2020, 4:59pm

pops1
Mar-22-2020, 5:39pm
I don't remember, not unusual for me, your price range but this seem like a great deal to me. Hand made and decent price.

Bill McCall
Mar-22-2020, 7:13pm
The latest Ratliff A in the classifieds seems a great bargain. https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/152471#152471

NFI

Jim Garber
Mar-22-2020, 7:41pm
I don't remember, not unusual for me, your price range but this seem like a great deal to me. Hand made and decent price.

The latest Ratliff A in the classifieds seems a great bargain. https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/152471#152471

NFI

I hear an echo in here. :)

Belle Starr
Mar-23-2020, 9:39am

Well, I said $700 but I can go higher, just thought I should be able to get a nice one for that. I am new and learning so much from all of you!!:mandosmiley:

pheffernan
Mar-23-2020, 9:48am
Well, I said $700 but I can go higher, just thought I should be able to get a nice one for that. I am new and learning so much from all of you!!:mandosmiley:

In your opening post, you said that you’ve played a lot of guitar. Well, a common saying in these parts is that you should expect to pay twice as much for an archtop mandolin as you would for a flattop guitar of equal quality. So, a $700 archtop mandolin would be equivalent to a $350 flattop guitar, give or take.

Eric F.
Mar-23-2020, 9:49am
If you can go to $950, buy the Ratliff today and don't look back. Killer deal on a quality luthier-made instrument from a known dealer with a good reputation.

fatt-dad
Mar-23-2020, 10:34am
re: Mandolin-looking objects. You want solid wood and hand-carved. Plywood mandolins steam-pressed to give an arched-looking instrument are cheap and look, "Right." They are just different. Solid wood and hand-carved are details that matter.

Hand-carving an f-model takes more talent and time. Doesn't affect the outcome.

f-d

allenhopkins
Mar-23-2020, 11:45am
Hi, I did go and test it with the 3 chords and scale I know :0) It was nice. Then I picked up a $2000 mandolin and WOW, that was beautiful! I walked out with nothing, not sure what to do. They still have it as I just looked online. So still looking.

A $2K mandolin should sound better than a $6-700 one. When I worked for an instrument dealer decades ago, he'd caution customers not to compare instruments they could afford, with those beyond their budgets. As he said, "The one you can afford to buy will sound cheaper, and you'll think you'll be disappointed with it."

Remember, you're starting out. The first mandolin you buy is unlikely to be the last one. Find one that's good, playable, and satisfactory until you "get good." Then re-evaluate, perhaps upgrade, perhaps decide it still meets all your needs.

Just my 2¢,

Br1ck
Mar-23-2020, 12:20pm
But starting out on a Ratliff will save you money in the end. Always buy the best you can. Mandolins like the Ratliff don’t last long. Many are looking for this type of deal.

Belle Starr
Mar-23-2020, 6:18pm
A $2K mandolin should sound better than a $6-700 one. When I worked for an instrument dealer decades ago, he'd caution customers not to compare instruments they could afford, with those beyond their budgets. As he said, "The one you can afford to buy will sound cheaper, and you'll think you'll be disappointed with it."

Remember, you're starting out. The first mandolin you buy is unlikely to be the last one. Find one that's good, playable, and satisfactory until you "get good." Then re-evaluate, perhaps upgrade, perhaps decide it still meets all your needs.

Just my 2¢,

I agree with your 2 cents, thanks!

Belle Starr
Mar-23-2020, 6:20pm

I have played some guitar :0) and this is good to know, thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

:mandosmiley:

Belle Starr
Mar-23-2020, 6:29pm

NFI

checking it out!

Br1ck
Mar-23-2020, 10:44pm
I’m going to sound like a broken record and say, better mandolin= you’ll want to play a lot=get better faster.

Belle Starr
Mar-24-2020, 9:42am
I’m going to sound like a broken record and say, better mandolin= you’ll want to play a lot=get better faster.

Good point!:mandosmiley:

pheffernan
Mar-24-2020, 9:46am
checking it out!

Rarely are you going to find the kind of consensus evident in this thread. If you buy the Ratliff, you should be able to get your money out of it should you ever decide to do so. Were you to purchase a new import F-style, however, you’d lose ~30% in depreciation the minute that you opened the case.

Br1ck
Mar-24-2020, 12:39pm
If I were to be asked, by far the biggest contribution to my progress and enjoyment would be buying my Silverangel. All I wanted was to play it. I started playing scales. Wanted to get better. Wanted to hold it.

Belle Starr
Mar-24-2020, 1:23pm
If I were to be asked, by far the biggest contribution to my progress and enjoyment would be buying my Silverangel. All I wanted was to play it. I started playing scales. Wanted to get better. Wanted to hold it.

Hi, so there is the Silver Angel by Ratcliff, and the one listed for sale by Ratliff?? I have been in touch with Charles J. regarding the Ratliff. That is what I want, to just love to hold it and play it with fiery passion! :redface:

Belle Starr
Mar-24-2020, 1:35pm
ohhhhhh ok , so I see two different guys making mandos. Boy do those Ratcliffs look nice!

Belle Starr
Mar-24-2020, 1:55pm
Also am finding NO used Silverangels out there!

pheffernan
Mar-24-2020, 2:09pm
Also am finding NO used Silverangels out there!

You’re unlikely to find a used one much cheaper than his new Econo model:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/152035#152035

A Silverangel that I previously owned traded for $1400 used. Plus, Ken has been known to ship out a new mandolin on approval, meaning that you just have to send it back if you’re not thrilled with it.

Br1ck
Mar-25-2020, 1:55am
Both Ratliffs and Silverangels come up for sale from time to time, but I think people have to add a considerable amount of money to better them, so unless you're going to spend 3 or 4 thousand, there is not much reason to sell your SA Econo A or Country Boy.

Belle Starr
Mar-25-2020, 7:04am
Hey All, I just found a 1943 A style Gibson for sale, $1,000, thoughts?? Also, talking with Charles about Ratliff. Thanks!

pheffernan
Mar-25-2020, 7:25am
Hey All, I just found a 1943 A style Gibson for sale, $1,000, thoughts?? Also, talking with Charles about Ratliff. Thanks!

Charles has some of those 40's Gibson A's as well, so you could ask him. I would rather have the longer neck of a modern A5 with the 15th fret body join.

Belle Starr
Mar-25-2020, 7:56am
Charles has some of those 40's Gibson A's as well, so you could ask him. I would rather have the longer neck of a modern A5 with the 15th fret body join.

another good point!

pops1
Mar-25-2020, 8:09am
My first good mandolin was a 40's Gibson A. Served me well for several years. Most have mahogany back and sides and have a different sound than maple. Mine was above average, but they very. While in those years I didn't play as far up the neck as I do now, If you are looking for a long term mandolin and want to play leads I would vote for the Ratliff. I have a 60's Gibson A that has been X braced and the fingerboard moved so the 12th fret is not so buried in the body, and it is acceptable for being to get up the neck 99% of what I play. Has a better sound than that era of Gibson's too. I bought it that way for a purpose, which has now changed. The search is half of the fun.

Belle Starr
Mar-25-2020, 8:14am
My first good mandolin was a 40's Gibson A. Served me well for several years. Most have mahogany back and sides and have a different sound than maple. Mine was above average, but they very. While in those years I didn't play as far up the neck as I do now, If you are looking for a long term mandolin and want to play leads I would vote for the Ratliff. I have a 60's Gibson A that has been X braced and the fingerboard moved so the 12th fret is not so buried in the body, and it is acceptable for being to get up the neck 99% of what I play. Has a better sound than that era of Gibson's too. I bought it that way for a purpose, which has now changed. The search is half of the fun.

Good info, yes search is fun, but I am ready to PLAY!!!!

Simon DS
Mar-25-2020, 8:26am
My first one, which I borrowed was/is a Stagg semi acoustic (but terrible pickup).
Very affordable for the tone, had to set it up, cut down the bridge and nut, quite a lot of work but I learned fast.
It got me through some of the scale exercises on jazzmando.com (remember what that was like?!) and I began to understand when kind folks on MC talked about fifths music theory. Thanks guys!

pheffernan
Mar-25-2020, 9:02am
Good info, yes search is fun, but I am ready to PLAY!!!!

So why are you waiting?

Ranald
Mar-25-2020, 10:16am
This video came up on another thread. I'm posting it, not to recommend this particular mandolin, a Godin A8 -- I don't think it's what you want -- but to show what a mid-range or lower priced mandolin can sound like in the hands of someone who can play it well. Godin's sell new for about $800 USD. I have one of these but when I play, it doesn't sound like Eva Scow's. As well, many years ago, Graham Townsend, an outstanding Canadian fiddler, played my fiddle. I learned that a master can get an excellent sound from it, and it never crossed my mind since then that I need a better fiddle. My point is that there's no perfect instrument out there though there are plenty of inexpensive ones that you can make sound good if you pay well. As others have said, you can upgrade later. I'm not implying that there aren't great differences in instruments, but as long as you're researching, you're not playing. ;)

If the links don't work search YouTube for "Eva Scow/After You've Gone."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl6oavXJsi8

Belle Starr
Mar-25-2020, 10:29am
So why are you waiting?

Good question, haha:grin:

Belle Starr
Mar-25-2020, 10:34am
This video came up on another thread. I'm posting it, not to recommend this particular mandolin, a Godin A8 -- I don't think it's what you want -- but to show what a mid-range or lower priced mandolin can sound like in the hands of someone who can play it well. Godin's sell new for about $800 USD. I have one of these but when I play, it doesn't sound like Eva Scow's. As well, many years ago, Graham Townsend, an outstanding Canadian fiddler, played my fiddle. I learned that a master can get an excellent sound from it, and it never crossed my mind since that I need a better fiddle. My point is that there's no perfect instrument out there though there are plenty of inexpensive ones that you can make sound good if you pay well. As others have said, you can upgrade later. I'm not implying that there aren't great differences in instruments, but as long as you're researching, you're not playing. ;)

If the links don't work search YouTube for "Eva Scow/After You've Gone."

Ranald, nail on the head!

Br1ck
Mar-25-2020, 12:25pm
You are not going to find a better deal if you are willing to spend the money. Wait any longer and that Country Boy is going to be gone. Surprised it’s not already.

Belle Starr
Mar-25-2020, 12:47pm
You are not going to find a better deal if you are willing to spend the money. Wait any longer and that Country Boy is going to be gone. Surprised it’s not already.

Hi Br1ck, Told him I would let him know today :0)

Belle Starr
Mar-25-2020, 4:12pm
ok, what about the back of the neck being stripped and the screw at the base of neck? http://www.vintagemandolin.com/18ratliff_ra_countryboy_1188.html

pheffernan
Mar-25-2020, 4:16pm
ok, what about the back of the neck being stripped and the screw at the base of neck? http://www.vintagemandolin.com/18ratliff_ra_countryboy_1188.html

It’s a clean job to make the neck more playable and a convenient way for installing a strap.

N9gkWwTsEwA&feature=youtu.be

IHTweKdn9dg&feature=youtu.be

Bill McCall
Mar-25-2020, 4:41pm
The screw is to hold a strap, which will make holding and playing the mandolin much easier. Wouldn't open the case without a strap.

The neck is a matter of taste, its to make the neck less sticky in hot, humid conditions which might impede lightning playing. Shows off the wood nicely and was nicely done.

My F is #1118, similar neck and my cloudy speed is not enhanced:)

btw, the finish is an option ($) on a CountryBoy.

Belle Starr
Mar-25-2020, 5:19pm
It’s a clean job to make the neck more playable and a convenient way for installing a strap.

N9gkWwTsEwA&feature=youtu.be

IHTweKdn9dg&feature=youtu.be

thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

haha, don't think it will be useful to me for years!

J Mangio
Mar-25-2020, 7:05pm
Just got word! nfi...head on over to Banjo Warehouse and grab a new The Loar LM600 BF for $649.00...cant be beat! These instruments don't get the credit they deserve.

Belle Starr
Mar-25-2020, 7:28pm
Just got word! nfi...head on over to Banjo Warehouse and grab a new The Loar LM600 BF for $649.00...cant be beat! These instruments don't get the credit they deserve.

oh my that one looks beautiful!!

Jim Garber
Mar-25-2020, 7:54pm

What is this? From the LM-600 page (https://banjowarehouse.com/product/new-the-loar-lm-600-bk-f-style-mandolin-special-price/) mentioned above.

J Mangio
Mar-25-2020, 7:59pm
What is this? From the LM-600 page (https://banjowarehouse.com/product/new-the-loar-lm-600-bk-f-style-mandolin-special-price/) mentioned above.

That is the bag your new mandolin case will be wrapped in.

lflngpicker
Mar-25-2020, 8:11pm
Good to have you aboard, Belle! There so many nice and also knowledgeable folks on the M.C. I have learned so much from these friends and enjoyed the conversations. You will too! Dan

Belle Starr
Mar-25-2020, 8:55pm
Hi! So much wonderful information, glad I came here!!

Jim Garber
Mar-25-2020, 9:22pm
That is the bag your new mandolin case will be wrapped in.

Spooky! Is this a new thing, wrapping your mandolin in a hardshell case and a black body bag? :)

J Mangio
Mar-25-2020, 9:34pm
That's how they're shipped, bagged then boxed.

Jim Garber
Mar-26-2020, 6:22am
Hmmmm, they should include a photo of the packing material too! :)

CES
Mar-26-2020, 7:03am
Go with the Ratliff. The strap button is just that, and doesn’t signify any structural issues. My Silverangel Econo had a speed neck, and I really liked it. Most violin necks are finished similarly, just FYI. If you decide you don’t like the strap button, they’re easy to remove.

Nothing against Loar, Eastman, Kentucky, and J Bovier; I’ve owned an early 2000s Kentucky 675-S and a more recent Eastman 315. The Eastman in particular was a very good mandolin with excellent workmanship. But, the Silverangel had much more depth/complexity of tone and held tone better up the neck; a true upgrade in tone and playability. It staved off MAS for about 9 years for me, and it more than held its own alongside mandolins priced into the 3000-4000 range. I haven’t played the particular Ratliff you’re looking at, but Audey’s mandolins have that kind of rep as well...

Of course, if you just don’t want to spend that much (been there, and times are uncertain presently), Kentucky 150 and Eastman 305 are excellent values you won’t quickly outgrow...

Eric F.
Mar-26-2020, 11:25am
Pull the trigger, the suspense is killin' me!

Seriously though, that Ratliff is the mandolin you upgrade to after owning an imported scrolly mandolin. Some of them are pretty good, but there is almost always a noticeable difference in tone with something like this.

Belle Starr
Mar-26-2020, 11:59am
Pull the trigger, the suspense is killin' me!

Seriously though, that Ratliff is the mandolin you upgrade to after owning an imported scrolly mandolin. Some of them are pretty good, but there is almost always a noticeable difference in tone with something like this.

Haha ,I am so close..................

Jim Garber
Mar-26-2020, 12:52pm
Belle Starr: I have been playing mandolin for over 40 years. In the 1980s I was looking for a custom mandolin and there were much fewer people building mandolins. Audey Ratliff was one of the makers who was making mandolins back then. I would venture to say that he knows what he is doing after all these years. I don't know if that helps you to decide or not but it is a fact. Ah, I just checked his website and the home page says he is celebrating his 38th year of building mandolins.

Belle Starr
Mar-26-2020, 1:51pm
drum roll please...............................just bought my 2nd mandolin.................................Ratliff

Bill McCall
Mar-26-2020, 1:58pm
I am sure you will not be disappointed. Congratulations!

#1118 and #1056 will wait to hear some new music:)

pheffernan
Mar-26-2020, 2:11pm
drum roll please...............................just bought my 2nd mandolin.................................Ratliff

pops1
Mar-26-2020, 2:28pm
Way to go, that was a good buy, good decision. I am sure you will be pleased. Plus it's not tempting the rest of us any more.

Eric F.
Mar-26-2020, 3:18pm
Smart choice. Play it in good health. You do understand you owe us a complete report when it's arrived, right?

Ranald
Mar-26-2020, 3:34pm

I think that many of us have enjoyed going shopping with you, while we're in isolation. Enjoy your mandolin.
Good people here.

Belle Starr
Mar-26-2020, 3:55pm
You all have been such wonderful help to me, thank you! Glad to help out by buying so you all don't have to think maybe you need one more mandolin (pops1), or wanting to reach through the screen and shake me! I will give you update when it comes. Also, Charlie threw in the s&h, I am a lucky gal!!

Roger Adams
Mar-26-2020, 4:57pm
Outstanding! Enjoy and play in good health. You really got a great buy on the Ratliff.:)

David Kennedy
Mar-26-2020, 6:59pm
Whoo Hoo! I have been following this thread with some anticipation. Well done Belle.

Eric Hanson
Mar-26-2020, 8:44pm
I have never played a Ratliff, but am so looking forward to your impressions.
Congrats on your first small shop build!! I am confident that it will work out well for you.

If you can afford it, make sure to take a few lessons so you can get pick-grip, and left hand technique basics under your belt. It is always better to get some good instruction from a trained hand to start with, than to have to later change because you find out something would be easier if it was done otherwise.

I attended a mandolin camp in Bloomington, IN some years ago that was taught by Mike Compton. I also took a couple lessons from Jim Richter. I found both instructors taught me techniques that I value very highly to this day.
FWIW (NFI) Jim Richter is holding a mandolin camp in Bloomington, IN this year also. This year he is having Don Julin as the prime teacher. I have heard VERY good things about his teaching style.

Belle Starr
Mar-27-2020, 9:35am
I have never played a Ratliff, but am so looking forward to your impressions.
Congrats on your first small shop build!! I am confident that it will work out well for you.

If you can afford it, make sure to take a few lessons so you can get pick-grip, and left hand technique basics under your belt. It is always better to get some good instruction from a trained hand to start with, than to have to later change because you find out something would be easier if it was done otherwise.

I attended a mandolin camp in Bloomington, IN some years ago that was taught by Mike Compton. I also took a couple lessons from Jim Richter. I found both instructors taught me techniques that I value very highly to this day.
FWIW (NFI) Jim Richter is holding a mandolin camp in Bloomington, IN this year also. This year he is having Don Julin as the prime teacher. I have heard VERY good things about his teaching style.

Hi, I will let you all know about my Ratliff! Now I need to name her :0) Also, since I can't take in person lessons during this craziness, any online youtube teacher suggestions?

LadysSolo
Mar-27-2020, 11:07am
There are several threads about free youtube lessons, some are totally free, some teachers appreciate donations. If you want something more structured (but also a bit more expensive, I amusing Artistworks (NFI) and am pretty happy with Mike Marshall's bluegrass class, am getting ready to switch to Caterina Lichtenberg's classical lessons (as it is more in line with my interests.)

Mark Gunter
Mar-27-2020, 11:21am
What a great choice :)

Looking forward to following your mandolin journey! Please keep us posted :mandosmiley:

Kevin Winn
Mar-27-2020, 12:31pm
Great choice, Belle. You are getting a quality instrument that will take you far (and a great deal, to boot). As you can clearly see, we all enjoy spending other people's money.... :)

For online lessons, you should start with mandolessons.com. It's a free service (with voluntary contributions and Patreon subscriptions available), and tons of great content for beginners. I believe Baron does online lessons, as well, and he's a contributor here. It's how I started, and many others on the Cafe. I've also taken a couple workshops from Don Julin, and he's great, too. He's the author of the Mandolin For Dummies books, and does online lessons as well.

Br1ck
Mar-27-2020, 12:45pm
I’m so glad it didn’t get away. I was fraught with anxiety. Mandolessions.com has beginner material, and Peghead Nation has more defined courses. You have something that can last a while.

CES
Mar-27-2020, 2:17pm
Clappy, clappy, clappy!

Belle Starr
Mar-28-2020, 7:23am
I’m so glad it didn’t get away. I was fraught with anxiety. Mandolessions.com has beginner material, and Peghead Nation has more defined courses. You have something that can last a while.

hahaha! glad I helped relieve your anxiety! Would not want that for you at this time of "crazy"

Johnny60
Mar-28-2020, 9:27am
Have played a couple of Ratliffs for a few minutes. Both were really good instruments. Assuming that it’s properly set up, you’re beginning your mandolin journey with a quality instrument.

Br1ck
Mar-28-2020, 7:53pm
I've had two vicarious buying experiences this week, your Country Boy odyssey, and a long PM back and forth with Doug. Two good outcomes. Doug overcame a scroll desire and chose quality, a difficult challenge. A Country Boy could be your one and only, or teach you exactly what you want in the future. Either way its a big step forward. I can't tell you how many stories I've been told of people going home to sleep on it only to find their dream gone next day.

I once played a wonderful old Martin guitar I could barely afford, but not the thousand dollar repair it needed. I decided to buy it if it were there 24 hours later, hoping it wouldn't. It was bought and hour after I left the store thank goodness, so it goes both ways.

Belle Starr
Mar-29-2020, 10:41am
I've had two vicarious buying experiences this week, your Country Boy odyssey, and a long PM back and forth with Doug. Two good outcomes. Doug overcame a scroll desire and chose quality, a difficult challenge. A Country Boy could be your one and only, or teach you exactly what you want in the future. Either way its a big step forward. I can't tell you how many stories I've been told of people going home to sleep on it only to find their dream gone next day.

I once played a wonderful old Martin guitar I could barely afford, but not the thousand dollar repair it needed. I decided to buy it if it were there 24 hours later, hoping it wouldn't. It was bought and hour after I left the store thank goodness, so it goes both ways.

;)

Belle Starr
Mar-30-2020, 3:42pm
Hey all, I see another Ratliff in classifieds!

Jim Garber
Mar-30-2020, 4:04pm
Hey all, I see another Ratliff in classifieds!

Actually there are two others:

2013 Country Boy (https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/152761#152761)

Late 90s A Model (https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/151899#151899)

Charles E.
Apr-01-2020, 8:57am
Belle, did you get the mandolin yet?

Belle Starr
Apr-01-2020, 9:32am
Belle, did you get the mandolin yet?

Should be arriving today, patiently waiting!!

Jim Garber
Apr-01-2020, 5:30pm
I guess it arrived and she is busy playing it non-stop.

Belle Starr
Apr-01-2020, 6:25pm
I guess it arrived and she is busy playing it non-stop.

Okay Mando Peeps, yes it arrived awhile ago, and I have been playing! Oh, what can I say, sounds beautiful, like when I was in the store and played that pricey one verses the $650 mandolin. Also very nice looking, case, strap, picks, and man my fingers are sore! Thank you all so much!!!! :mandosmiley:

Stacey Morris
Apr-01-2020, 8:01pm
I am late to the party, Belle, but congratulations on your new mandolin! I am a newbie anyway, so would not have been able to offer much help in picking a good one. I have an Eastman MD505 that I bought a couple years ago.

Eric Hanson
Apr-01-2020, 8:34pm
Congrats on the great purchase!!
We look forward to more feedback.
Enjoy the wonderful journey!!

Bill McCall
Apr-01-2020, 9:08pm
Okay Mando Peeps, yes it arrived awhile ago, and I have been playing! Oh, what can I say, sounds beautiful, like when I was in the store and played that pricey one verses the $650 mandolin. Also very nice looking, case, strap, picks, and man my fingers are sore! Thank you all so much!!!! :mandosmiley:

Glad you like it. I knew you would:)

pops1
Apr-01-2020, 11:27pm
Sore fingers means a smiling face. Enjoy!!!

Frankdolin
Apr-02-2020, 6:02am
Congrats!:mandosmiley:

Dillon
Apr-02-2020, 9:38am
Perfectly titled thread " . . . my first mandolin". Cause it won't be your last, ask anyone here! Enjoy all this wonderful instrument has to offer. :mandosmiley:

Br1ck
Apr-02-2020, 11:59am
It’s already the second. Some just catch on quicker. I was in Gryphon one time and a young woman came in to the store and thinking I worked there asked for help. After setting her straight, I said I’d try to help her. She said she wanted to learn guitar. Thought a Martin was a good place to start. She’d heard a D 28 was good. She was petite, so I said she should at least check out an OM. She walked out with the dread. A month or two later she was back in the store. I asked, trading in the D 28? Too big for you? No, she just wanted an OM too. My kind of gal.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s already the second. Some just catch on quicker. I was in Gryphon one time and a young woman came in to the store and thinking I worked there asked for help. After setting her straight, I said I’d try to help her. She said she wanted to learn guitar. Thought a Martin was a good place to start. She’d heard a D 28 was good. She was petite, so I said she should at least check out an OM. She walked out with the dread. A month or two later she was back in the store. I asked, trading in the D 28? Too big for you? No, she just wanted an OM too. My kind of gal

The double post above happens once in a while. What causes this?

Belle Starr
Apr-02-2020, 7:28pm
It’s already the second. Some just catch on quicker. I was in Gryphon one time and a young woman came in to the store and thinking I worked there asked for help. After setting her straight, I said I’d try to help her. She said she wanted to learn guitar. Thought a Martin was a good place to start. She’d heard a D 28 was good. She was petite, so I said she should at least check out an OM. She walked out with the dread. A month or two later she was back in the store. I asked, trading in the D 28? Too big for you? No, she just wanted an OM too. My kind of gal.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s already the second. Some just catch on quicker. I was in Gryphon one time and a young woman came in to the store and thinking I worked there asked for help. After setting her straight, I said I’d try to help her. She said she wanted to learn guitar. Thought a Martin was a good place to start. She’d heard a D 28 was good. She was petite, so I said she should at least check out an OM. She walked out with the dread. A month or two later she was back in the store. I asked, trading in the D 28? Too big for you? No, she just wanted an OM too. My kind of gal

:grin:you rock!

Jim Garber
Apr-02-2020, 9:30pm

- - - Updated - - -

Are you typing this in the mirror? :)

Belle Starr
May-18-2020, 12:10pm
Hello Mando Peeps, Just thought I would pop on here and give you and update. I have been practicing and learning, not as much as I should ;) This mando sounds so full and rich, it is awesome and I am so glad I listened to you all. When a person can get that kind of sound it makes you want to play! thank you, ~Belle

Ranald
May-18-2020, 12:22pm
Unless you're an obsessive person, you can't play continually for hours. Blessings on those who are both talented and obsessive; we all love listening to them when they emerge into the world. No use developing a repetitive strain injury. I'm glad you're enjoying your mandolin. Do what's right for you.