PDA

View Full Version : Deer hide straps

Scotti Adams
Aug-22-2005, 11:12am
Hey boys and girls..I recieved a deer hide strap in the mail today from Randy King....great strap and workmanship...so for those of you who dont want to flop down $50 on a 'Roo Strap this may be an option....he has an ad in the classifieds....

jmpullen
Aug-26-2005, 12:52pm
Scotti, I think you are absolutely correct about the deerhide
straps. I also have several of them, and recommend them. One thing that I particularly like is how they will lay in your case so easily, and not try to jump out etc. I thought they
might stretch out of shape, but mine have not done that at all. Very easy on the shoulder too.

Scotti Adams
Aug-27-2005, 10:31am
..I think I like the feel of the Deer hide strap better on my shoulder....its bigger around than a Roo strap and doesnt tend to move around much.

cascadepicker
Aug-27-2005, 2:14pm
I just recieved my new made to order deer hide strap in the mail today from Randy King. For my Breedlove Cascade with a strap button on the neck heel.
(email:kingmandoman@aol.com)
And just like Scotty said "great strap and workmanship"

dc / al fine
Aug-27-2005, 2:21pm
I am looking for a braided strap for a new Weber Yellowstone I just purchased and am glad to have found these comments regarding Randy King's Deer hide strap. If it has a larger diameter than the 'Roo, I might go for it.

And where can I go to get a 'Roo strap, if I decide on one of those?

Dennis

Scotti Adams
Aug-28-2005, 6:32am
..Marty Stuart swiped my Roo strap yesterday.........Greg Boyds House Of Fine Instruments sell the Roo straps as as Carmel Music.

dc / al fine
Aug-28-2005, 3:13pm
Scotti:

Thanks for the tip. The photo on Dexter's Carmel Music site indicates that there is a metal sleeve of some sort on the strap. Is that true? Is there one on yours (Marty's)?

Dennis

Scotti Adams
Aug-28-2005, 3:38pm
..no..there was no metal parts on my(Marty's) Roo strap..now on the Deer hide strap..Randy supplies decorative metal bands to attach to the strap if one so desires.

dc / al fine
Sep-06-2005, 10:53pm
I just received my deer hide strap from Randy. It is wonderful (and matches the color, serendipitously, of my Yellowstone, which is a non-burst, deep brown/rust color.

Randy was great--he made the strap to the length that I specified and had it ready to send out by the time he received my $$. Good service as well as workmanship.

Dennis

dc / al fine
Sep-06-2005, 11:09pm
I just received my deer hide strap from Randy. It is wonderful (and matches the color, serendipitously, of my Yellowstone, which is a non-burst, deep brown/rust color.

Randy was great--he made the strap to the length that I specified and had it ready to send out by the time he received my $$. Good service as well as workmanship.

Dennis

Ken Berner
Sep-07-2005, 9:54am
Scotti, Please go easy on ol' Marty. He is from the Southern part of Mississippi and the family homeplace may have had severe damage! He might need that 'roo strap way more than you realize. Got to love Marty's mandolin pickin'.

Scotti Adams
Sep-07-2005, 7:45pm
Hi Ken..I went easy on Marty....he didnt have to do too much convincing to get my Roo strap #I hope Marty's homeplace didnt suffer too much....Marty has always been one of my favs....

Brian T
Sep-11-2005, 1:38pm
I sent Randy a western diamondback rattlesnake skin that he sewed to a deer hide backing. It's a great looking and very comfortable strap. He's very good at what he is doing.

JimRichter
Sep-11-2005, 2:38pm
I haven't had one of Randy's straps in awhile (may be wrong though--I have perpetual SAS (strap aquisition syndrome)so it could be hanging in the closet--can't recall if it went with the last mandolin I traded/sold)), but they are high quality straps, priced reasonably, and have fine customer service attached to them.

And besides, Randy's from my birthing grounds out there in Ripley County, Indiana, so it was great to think of a southeastern Deer being used in my strap.

Jim

b.pat
Sep-15-2005, 12:48pm
Here's a shot of mine.
Just a great strap at a great price. I have ordered two more. That should tell you what I really think.
You better get them before Randy realizes what they are really worth.

B.Pat

Chadah77
Sep-16-2005, 7:49am
I just got my strap from Randy last night and I love it. Exactly like I expected. I will try to get some pics up later. I recommend His straps very highly. Great guy to deal with also.

Chad

Chadah77
Sep-17-2005, 10:07pm
Here is my new Eastman and my new Braided deer strap from Randy. #I love it....umm...them!

Scotti Adams
Sep-24-2005, 12:12pm
..heres mine

Scotti Adams
Sep-24-2005, 12:14pm
another

Scotti Adams
Oct-06-2005, 8:52am
Heres a pic of Randys Weber and his own personal strap...sorry it took so long Randy..

JimRichter
Nov-16-2005, 8:09am
Figured I bump this topic to pass this on.

I've been using a Roo strap from Carmel Music the last several months. Recently I found the Deer hide strap I bought from Randy King last year. I switched out the Roo for the Deer yesterday. A much better strap all around. I love the look of the Roo, but the Deer strap feels sturdier, is a tad thicker (but not the size and fluff of Jim Avery's straps), and the button holes are reinforced to prevent stretch. The Roo is great, but my button holes have already begun to stretch out.

The only criticism of the deer strap--if you're reading Randy--is to ditch any metal parts. The metal wrapping which binds the florentine hoop should be switched w/ a non-metal system.

Regardless, excellent strap and highly recommend. I didn't find mine until I recently cleaned out my closet and glad I did.

Jim

Scotti Adams
Nov-16-2005, 8:24am
Jim..the metal attachement was seperate from the strap when I got mine..I opted to put it on...Maybe Randy is offering this option in his straps now.

ourgang
Nov-17-2005, 6:45am
I got mine a couple of weeks ago. Since my Silverangle is in the Travelite case, I opted for the 1/4" diameter. I really like the smaller braid and it fits in the case without taking it off the mando. Went with the chocolate brown, no metal band. Great strap. Now, what to do with the other three??

Randy King
Nov-21-2005, 9:16pm
Hey Jim, It took awhile, but I figured it out a while back how to use only deer hide and a little thread ( Look Ma, No Metal ). And thanks to all for these awesome reviews. Randy King

Greenmando
Jan-21-2006, 1:22am
Check Em Out Add# 17211
Say, why not be part of the forum instead of just pushing your wares http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif?

johnsmusic
Jan-21-2006, 5:48am
That's rather harsh, others do the same....

John Flynn
Jan-21-2006, 9:01am
Yeah, and I for one wish they would all stop it. It's getting hard to have a thread where someone isn't selling something.

Randy King
Apr-29-2006, 1:30pm
A good guy to get your straps from!

Greenmando
Apr-29-2006, 3:07pm
It seems out of context today, but that night he had posted the same ad in quite a few old threads. I would not have said a thing if it had only been one or two threads.

dj9124
Apr-29-2006, 7:44pm
I just got my new deerhide strap from Randy King and couldn't be happier, very soft and supple, very high quality. #I think for the price they can't be beat!

Apr-29-2006, 10:43pm
Y'all need to learn to play your mandolin like real men damnit, who the hell needs a strap? (to paraphrase the guitar player in my band).

I use a dave.capps strap. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Greenmando
Apr-30-2006, 6:08am
A good guy to get your straps from!
And what's with the third person quotes?? The guy digs up a three month old post to pimp himself??