PDA

View Full Version : Pick questions from a newbie

walshb
Aug-21-2005, 7:55pm
I've been using a Dunlop Big Stubby 2.0 (somewhat pointed) which I was told is a mandolin pick, when I bought it. #But I wanted to try some of those recommended here, so I bought a Golden Gate and then I ordered a Dawg pick. #With both the GG and the Dawg, the sound is more mellow but I don't get as much volume and the notes just don't come out as clear. #I know volume will be important when I finally get around to jamming with others.
The Dunlop is more trebly sounding when going up the neck but overall I play much better with it and, to me, it sounds better. #So is there something I might be doing wrong, or is it just a matter of preference? #Do you normally have to pick a lot harder when using a radiused pick, to get the same volume? Anyone else using a Big Stubby Dunlop? #Thanks in advance.

Coy Wylie
Aug-21-2005, 9:11pm
So is there something I might be doing wrong, or is it just a matter of preference?

When a started playing mando a few years back, I tried every pick I could find to buy and developed a few favorites. So yes pick choices are mostly a matter of personal preference. Of course the more you play the more your right hand technique should improve. A good player can sound good with most any pick. Remember tone is in the right hand.

Try this, take a Dawg or GG and thin the edges down with a nail file or sandpaper. Try to shape the pick like it would normally wear with a bevel. You will still have the beefy feel of a heavy pick (and perhaps more volume) but the thinner edge will give a brighter tone.

adgefan
Aug-22-2005, 4:58am
It's all a matter of personal preference, and even that changes. I used a Big Stubby (2mm) for a few months and thought I'd found the perfect pick. It is easy to grip so you don't lose control of it and it's very loud.

However, I've since started using Wegen M150s which are rounded rather than pointed, and I think they're the perfect pick now! Only problem is I find them difficult to tremelo with. I find it almost impossible to use a pointed pick now as they stick between the strings too easily. But in a few months I may well be using a different pick again...

Just experiment and you'll find something you like.

mandoman15
Aug-22-2005, 6:04am
with mandolining..It's all a matter of preference from pick choice to body style to action to finishes.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

walshb
Aug-22-2005, 6:07pm
Thanks for the replies everyone! So is it normal to lose a lot of volume with a rounded pick such as the Dawg or Golden Gate? If I get to the point where I prefer their tone, will I just have to get accustomed to picking a lot harder to get the same volume?