PDA

View Full Version : David Long/Chris Sharp band 9/22 Bloomington IN

JimRichter
Aug-21-2005, 9:30am
Howdy all

Well, this will be my last concert that I'll do until the spring, but it's a good'un

David Long and Chris Sharp will be performing in Bloomington, Indiana on Thurs. Sept 22. The venue (as always) will be the Monroe County History Center at the corner of Washington and 6th St. Concert starts at 7:30PM (doors open at 7P). Cost is $10 at the door; $7 with a valid college ID.

I'm doing this as a festival of sorts and there will be a couple of opening acts (myself and Gordon Bonham will probably be one) with Chris and David being the headliner.

Having Chris and David is pretty exciting, cause the have a kick-as* band right now. They have Matt Combs playing fiddle with them and the band is tight. You can check out streaming video of a recent concert at : http://www.johnhartford.org. If you don't know who Chris Sharp is, he's a former John Hartford String Band Alumnus (in the band with Compton) and Grammy-winner. He has an incomparable voice, can tear it up on guitar, and knows Lester Flatt's guitar style better than anyone. David Long is an alumnus of both Karl Shiflett's and the Willdwood Valley Boys, and is best known as Mike Compton's duo partner. Mike Compton has said that David knows Bill Monroe's right hand bettter than anyone of Long's generation of mando pickers.

We may be doing a workshop, if there is interest (and enough people preregister). Looking at doing an 1 and 1/2 hour band workshop put on by members of the band. This would target musicians or bands who are interested in learning more how to perform more effectively as a band--arrangements, backing up lead instruments, backing up vocals, etc. Email me if you or someone you know has the interest. The workshop time would most likely be 5P to 6:30P (or maybe 4:30P to 6P).

Also, from what David L tells me, all the guys will be available for private instruction. If you're interested in private mandolin, fiddle, guitar, or banjo lessons, let me know and I'll put you in touch with David or Chris.

Looking forward to this concert and I've tried to get the price to where it's not too prohibitive. Drop me a line and let me know you're coming. No advance tickets, but as anyone who's attended before can tell you, there's always been room for everyone.

Jim

earthsave
Aug-24-2005, 12:08pm
Jim, hopefully I can make this one. It's on my calendar.

JimRichter
Aug-29-2005, 8:40pm
This is again a reminder that when David and Chris come out to Bloomington (and then BeanBlossom that weekend), they are available for private instruction.

There is the possibility of a workshop. At this time it might be a band-oriented workshop--how to play in a bluegrass band (backup, role, etc.). However, if there isn't enough interest in that, we may look at a mandolin workshop (though I'd strongly encourage taking David up on the private instruction).

If there are any interested parties out there, shoot me an email.

richter30@mac.com

Jim