PDA

View Full Version : String crossing

Zed
Aug-21-2005, 8:40am
Anyone have a favorite string crossing exercise?

Don Grieser
Aug-22-2005, 12:37pm
I think there's some right hand exercises in the TablEdit files on MandoZine. Look for the ones by John Moore. There's almost every possible combination of string crossings with up/down stroke combinations. Very helpful for keeping your pick direction correct. If they aren't there, send me a PM.

Mike Bunting
Aug-22-2005, 6:14pm
They are there, I sent them in, from a class I took with him at Sorrento a few years ago. They are invaluable. Use a metronome while doing them. Use a metronome with everything, even doing the dishes!

Andy Morton
Aug-27-2005, 4:19pm
Great execises--any insights on what John Moore would say in his teachings on those or on how best to approach them (in addition to using the metronome)?

Andy

Zed
Aug-27-2005, 7:56pm
Yep, those are good'ns. Just what i was looking for.

Mike Bunting
Aug-27-2005, 9:17pm
[QUOTE]Great execises--any insights on what John Moore would say in his teachings on those or on how best to approach them (in addition to using the metronome)?
John is heavy into muscle training. In playing execises like these I believe he would say to do them at a speed where you can play them flawlessly and increase tempo from there. Do not let a clam go uncorrected, else you will practice that clam. You know what sounds good. Play that way. He said that every time we play something wrong, we have to play it correctly seven times in order to retrain that muscle activity.
The metronome trip is mine, I believe that time is the most important thing in music, you have to live in the groove.

Andy Morton
Aug-28-2005, 6:20pm
Thanks for the reply Mike--always good to hear endcouragement to practice until you have it "flawless" at a given speed before advancing to higher speeds.

Andy