PDA

View Full Version : Loar tail piece pin

neilca
Feb-04-2020, 6:49pm
The strap peg that goes through the tail piece on my Loar keeps falling out. I have come very close to dropping the mandolin when this comes out. What do I need to do to secure it?

Jacob Hagerty
Feb-04-2020, 10:00pm
The strap peg that goes through the tail piece on my Loar keeps falling out. I have come very close to dropping the mandolin when this comes out. What do I need to do to secure it?

wrap a tiny piece of paper around the pin and re_insert while twisting.

Vernon Hughes
Feb-04-2020, 11:37pm
A little dab of clear fingernail polish will work as well and it will still be removable in the future if need be.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-05-2020, 9:51am
This isn't a new problem by any means. We probably have several dozen threads that mention it.

If it continues to be a problem you can get yourself a little insurance by using the Hans Brentrup method of attaching the strap. This is a great way to make sure that if it does come out again the mandolin won't drop.

Mark Gunter
Feb-05-2020, 1:35pm

+1 on this!

One of the best practical tips I've gotten from the cafe over the years. No more worries since I saw Mike or somebody posted this a long while back and I executed it a few years ago. Safety lanyard for the strap.

Nobody wants to see their Loar hit the pavement ;)

neilca
Feb-05-2020, 8:01pm
Great suggestions, I like the lanyard idea. Thanks!

40bpm
Feb-06-2020, 1:28am
Low household humidity may cause wood shrinkage and the end-pin then becomes loose. Raise the humidity and/or follow the good suggestions above.

Not to belittle your problem, but this issue shows up every year during the heating, low humidity season. What's the humidity where you store the instrument?

neilca
Feb-07-2020, 8:48pm
I live in Georgia and the humidity can change a lot from summer to winter. That being said the problem started in the summer, high humidity season. I wetted the peg and tried to replace it but it continued to be loose. The lanyard gives me the means to live with it.