PDA

View Full Version : Old Mandolin - Any Insight Much Appreciated

Andy.Mando
Jan-11-2020, 7:08pm
I have what I assume is an older mandolin I'd received as a gift recently, but it doesn't have any markings on it giving info for the make/model/year of production. Has anyone ever seen one like this or have any insight here? Perhaps worth some $? I'd be happy to post additional specific photos if that's helpful (i'm a newbie to the mandolin world).

I've added the photos as attachments, let me know if you can't see them.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-11-2020, 7:45pm
Both Regal and Harmony (both of Chicago) built similar entry level mandolins for decades. This one has been stripped and refinished. The tuners could be used to date it as to later not earlier. Maybe the 40's or 50's. The value in pristine condition is not very much. I got less than 100.00 for the last two I owned. I'm assuming the price would be somewhere in there. Are there any numbers stamped inside?

Andy.Mando
Jan-12-2020, 9:10am
Thanks for the info Mike! I’m not seeing any information stamped on the inside, looked at all angles with a flashlight and everything.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-12-2020, 9:20am
Probably built by Regal. I'm sure one of our vintage experts will jump in with a model number and a catalog page at some point.

wormpicker
Jan-12-2020, 10:42am
Is that a big crack running all the way up the front piece under the E and A courses?

MikeEdgerton
Jan-12-2020, 10:48am
Is that a big crack running all the way up the front piece under the E and A courses?

Probably.

Mark Gunter
Jan-12-2020, 6:37pm
Looks like it has pretty decent action. I understand you're a newbie to mandolin, but do you like the way it feels and sounds?

Typical low cost mandolin of the day in choice of woods, at least. Poplar neck, birch body including top. Can't tell about the fretboard ... maybe maple. (Just looks grainless in the photo, like mdf, so I'm guessing its actually maple). One to enjoy if possible, no big money in it. Has that crack been repaired?