PDA

View Full Version : Aria AF-10 Acoustic Tenor - Sunburst

Huck
Jan-08-2020, 12:09pm
Saw this in the morning and decided to purchase it. Hope I like it!

18267618267518267718267818267918268318268018268118 2682

Huck

Lord of the Badgers
Jan-08-2020, 3:47pm
Nice!

fox
Jan-08-2020, 4:18pm
Looks good Huck, I don’t know anything about that model, 23”scale, solid top ? Looks ike quite a big body, should sound nice in GDAE.

mojocaster
Jan-08-2020, 4:53pm
That looks awesome, actually. Can't wait to hear how much you like it!

Huck
Jan-08-2020, 5:15pm
Looks good Huck, I don’t know anything about that model, 23”scale, solid top ? Looks ike quite a big body, should sound nice in GDAE.

Thanks fox,
Here is what I've been able to glean from the internet:

Top: Solid Sitka Spruce
Back & Sides : Mahogany
Neck : Mahogany
Fingerboard : Rosewood
Bridge : Rosewood
Scale : 23" (584.2mm)

Past Cafe reviews were positive. They were not cheap new, retailed at $700 US.

I do think I'm going to string it Irish Tenor. I'm hoping the large body gives a big sound.

Should be here next week. I'll give the body specs and let you know how the sound is then.

Thanks again,
Huck

Huck
Jan-11-2020, 12:11pm
The Aria arrived today, it is absolutely beautiful! In like new condition. Added bonus that wasn't advertised - it also has an internal pick up.

Action is low, body is huge it dwarfs my Ibanez PFT2. Full-size Auditorium/000 body. Aria originally shipped these new with a little heavier strings: 10-16-24w-36w.

Sounds great may need to tweak the truss rod, I'll see after I change strings and go to Irish Tenor tuning.

Could not be happier, what a great purchase! This is the tenor guitar I've always wanted. :grin::mandosmiley::grin:

Verne Andru
Jan-11-2020, 1:07pm
Score!

mojocaster
Jan-11-2020, 5:50pm
Oh man, a pickup, too? You're pumped! I love it.

fox
Jan-11-2020, 6:42pm
Sounds great Huck, I have tried to find out a bit more about the guitar but I have not found much so far.
Perhaps they used a six string body.

Huck
Jan-11-2020, 7:33pm
Sounds great Huck, I have tried to find out a bit more about the guitar but I have not found much so far.
Perhaps they used a six string body.

Hi fox,
Six string 00 and Ibanez tenor for comparison.

About 37 1/2" overall, 11" Upper bout, 15" Lower. Waist about 9". 19" Body length. Around 4" deep. So yes six string size. Pardon my triviality but it looks and feels more like a guitar and less like a toy. (My only complaint of the PFT2).

I've read it's the same size as the Martin 0-18 T. I don't know if that is correct - if anybody can verify that I'd appreciate it.

Thanks everyone for your support! It's difficult (scary) to buy a guitar unseen, but this guitar is in incredible shape for being 10 years old. I've been looking for one of these for a long time and I'm hoping it's the last guitar I buy for some time. Unless a nice vintage Martin falls into my lap.;)

Cheers,
Huckpoi

Lord of the Badgers
Jan-12-2020, 1:03am
I'm hoping it's the last guitar I buy for some time. Unless a nice vintage Martin falls into my lap.;)

Would you like a nice vintage Martin? :grin::whistling:

Huck
Jan-12-2020, 3:11am
Ha! Tying to finance a vintage Gibson Archtop Rob? I'll make a deal with you, bring your '59 the next time your band tours the States and we'll have a look.:grin: When I say fall into my lap I mean an awfully inexpensive one.;)

I hope you're still having fun with your Manson Kestrel tenor!

Cheers mate,
Huck

Huck
Jan-19-2020, 9:42am
Update: Changed the strings and went to Irish Tenor tuning. Strings are feeling a little sloppy to me. Initially these guitars were set up with 95 lb tension.

Aria originally shipped these new with a little heavier strings: 10-16-24w-36w.

I'm going to change to 12-18P-30W-46W which will give me a pretty balanced 20 pounds each string across the fretboard. A little heavier than what I have on it now. I'll see how this works out.

fox
Jan-19-2020, 10:18am
Huck if you find your string tension not quite right, the easy way is to just tune up a notch rather than change the strings.

Huck
Apr-10-2020, 6:51am
Huck if you find your string tension not quite right, the easy way is to just tune up a notch rather than change the strings.

Well fox I followed your advise and it took care of the problem, thanks for the good advice mate.

To be honest I tuned it back down and set it aside on its stand, did not adjust the relief and haven't played it in a while.

Decided to grab it this morning. With the humidity picking up in the spring, it actually solved my problem and this guitar sounds wonderful. It has a lot of projection due to its large body I suppose. When the OOO Recording King tenor comes out I would imagine it will have a lot of growl as well. Might have to add one to the quiver.

Just thought I'd give an update. Glad the guitar is playing and sounding better and I appreciate the advice.

Stay safe & stay healthy please!