PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky 75th model

Dfyngravity
Aug-18-2005, 9:41am
I had seen it before, but last night I was just wandering around through different mando sites and I came across the site for kentucky's mandolins. When I saw the Kentucky KM-75 which is their 75th anniversary model I just couldn't imagine paying over 6K for a kentucky mandolin. So my questions is, does any one own one of these KM-75's? And if so how does she play and sound.

I am currently playing a Red Diamond F5 and don't plan on buying a new mandolin anytime soon becuase I just love it. But I can't see paying more for a Kentucky mandolin then a Red Diamond, Hilburn, Pomeroy, or any of the other small builders that everyone here seems to have. I would think they would be as godd or better than what kentucky is making. I had a KM-675 as my first mandolin and I know the quality of Kentucky. But I may just be surprised with the anniverary model.So if anyone has one lets here about it and see some pics too.

***This post is not trying to bash kentucky, because I do recommend them to people around me that are beginners. I am just trying to see how they can have a 6k mando when they stopped making their best mando the KM-1000, which was FAR less money.***

MANDOLINMYSTER
Aug-18-2005, 10:08am
Its the 25 anniversary model and its made by Sumi who has a great reputation. Yes it does seem pricey, but I believe Sumi who also made a limited batch of mandos for Sullivian, (First Quality Music)charges in the 4k-5k range as do his own mandolins.

Professor PT
Aug-18-2005, 10:42am
While the fit and finish of the Sumi mandolins are very good, their tone( at least the three I have played ) is very thin. Yes, you could get a lot more mandolin for the money.

mikeh
Aug-19-2005, 11:53am
Dfyngravity,
I too had never seen nor heard one of these 75th Sumi Kentucky's until a month or so ago when I was down in Walton Kentucky. Jeff Cowherd at Mandolins.net has two of them. One is just ok to my ear, but he broke out his favorite one-(Varnish), and it was one of the loudest mandolins I have ever heard. It actually hurt my ears to stand closely in front of him while he played it. Granted volume does not make the palatable aspects of tone , but this one had that rare combination and was an extremely rounded instrument. Similar price tag was in the case, and that one was probably worth it. It refelects my opinion that Mandos from the same builder be it Gibson, Weber or a small builder can vary considerably in tone from batch to batch despite construction and measurement consistencies. Some trees just had the right combination in thier growth that makes them mo' better.