PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have a Schwab?

wmr
Aug-18-2005, 9:10am
I just found out that I am getting a schwab for my wedding gift. If you have one how much do you like it? I have a Rono and a Mann which I love both dearly. I have been wanting a Schwab so no it is going to be a reality.

WHHHHOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

WMR

berkeleymando
Aug-18-2005, 1:13pm
I have a Kevin Schwab MLS model four string with a single Bartolini pickup in the neck position. It is #135 and I received it in June 2004. I absolutely love it - the action is perfect, incredible sustain and I love the flamed Koa top/maple neck and mahog body. You will be VERY happy to get one.

Fuzzyway
Aug-20-2005, 1:42pm
I have a Schwab 5 string #118 with flamed maple top and two Bartolini pickups. Ditto on everything berkelymando just wrote.

fuzzy

berkeleymando
Aug-20-2005, 9:12pm
Hey wmr, what are the specs on the one you are getting? Or is it a surprise?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif

wmr
Aug-22-2005, 2:20pm
Hey Berkeleymando,

I am getting a sunburst deluxe. Alder body, curly maple top and back. Maple neck with Ebony fretboard 14.5 scale bone nut, Mini scallers. Dual Bart mini humbuckers. Gold hardware.

Do you know the specs on yours. Any suggestions on the woods? HE asked me what i wanted and I have no idea for a solid body mando.

berkeleymando
Aug-24-2005, 12:03am
I really don't know what one's choice of wood might change in a solid body, but I did have a solid maple schwab 5 string a while back and it was very heavy.

The body of the MLS is thinner and lighter while still being a solid hunk of mahogany with a koa top. There's nothing overlaid on the back, but there is a small highly flamed maple panel covering the wiring area. It is single bound in grained ivoroid on the top.

Be sure to share pics with us - when Kevin was building mine he had very kindly sent along some great pictures.

Lee
Aug-25-2005, 4:45pm
I have three. If I were to order from scratch, I'd go with the solid ash, sans-sunburst, just a natural clear finish. With no binding, the edges are more rounded and very comfortable. In any case, yer gonna love it. Please post photos!

reindoggy
Sep-03-2005, 11:31am
I'm gonna hate myself for putting this out there---- oh well, here goes--

Spruce Tree Music in Madison WI has a used Schwab for sale. Blonde ash, 5-string, dual pick-up, 2 pots + micro switches (which do what?), I think a flat fretboard $850.
It has one ding on one side and some checking but seems very solid and is quite playable--I didn't plug it in. Google "spruce tree" to see it. They are very good folks to work with, I have bought my mando there, and they have done some repair work for me. I'd buy it, but no tengo dinero. No financial interest.

Reinal

Hubert Angaiak
Sep-06-2005, 6:58pm
I've an Old Town 8 string solid body electric. How are these 4 or 5 strings for rythym work? I've only heard these used as lead. Any leads for sound samples where one is strumming one of these?

wmr
Sep-08-2005, 9:13am
Hubert,

Check out old Aquarium Rescue Unit, String Cheese Incident, Michael Lampert. They play lead/rythym even the guy in SCI uses Midi mando. I love my 5 strings for rythym because of the low c string.

PCypert
Sep-08-2005, 10:51am
Just checked on that Shcwab. Looks nice. That store cracks me up. I emailed them two years ago when I was thinking about buying a Bridger. Told them they were asking too much on that one. They said it's what the market for that instrument is. Two years later they still have it.

Paul