PDA

View Full Version : Old Wave Mandoins & Bill Bussmann

Jim Garber
Jan-02-2020, 2:59pm
Is Bill B still active making mandolins? I checked his profile here and he hasn't posted anything recently. He goes by oldwave maker as a screen name.

His website (http://www.oldwavemandolins.com/) is still online. I know he was mostly using Facebook for recent availability of his instruments but the last listed was 2017.

He did post some photos on August of 2019. I just was curious. I hope he is doing all right.

TheMandoKit
Jan-04-2020, 11:12am
I corresponded with Bill back in late July of 2019, and things seemed to be going well. He had some mandos in the build queue. I have missed his posts.

Hey, Bill, give us all a shout!

oldwave maker
Jan-04-2020, 1:39pm
Entered the Jehovah Witness Protection Program recently, still pushing the mandala forward....Happy new year!

TheMandoKit
Jan-04-2020, 4:09pm
Hey, welcome back! I'm liking the turquoise-ish rosette in the one on the left.

Jim Garber
Jan-04-2020, 11:14pm
Entered the Jehovah Witness Protection Program recently, still pushing the mandala forward....Happy new year!

Nice to hear from you, Bill. Keep swatting that mesquite. :)

JimKo
Jan-05-2020, 10:21am
Bill, How come when you are quiet everyone gets concerned? Go Packers.
Jim

Jim Garber
Jan-08-2020, 10:41pm
Bill is the only guy here who can do standup comedy sitting down. Of course, he was missed especially when he is silent.

Eric Hanson
Jan-09-2020, 12:33am

From the Jehovah’s Witnesses, or by them??? :whistling:

Steve Sorensen
Jan-09-2020, 2:06am
Bill's not dead yet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdf5EXo6I68

Don Grieser
Jan-09-2020, 8:01am
Cool story on Bill from the Seattle Times. Right down the road from Caballo, NM.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/former-new-mexico-farmer-morphs-into-master-mandolin-maker/?fbclid=IwAR0SPAYqVAlA7Uv617gpS5IV9TkGocorjStnLkOi k-5fMO51gOdtx_bpFPI

Jim Hilburn
Jan-09-2020, 11:22am
I was afraid some adult supervision had shown up.

Jim Garber
Jan-09-2020, 11:56am
Bill is the only guy here who can do standup comedy sitting down. Of course, he was missed especially when he is silent.

See what I mean?
“We live so far out in the country that my kids learned to play rock ‘n’ roll on butane guitars.”

tree
Jan-09-2020, 12:11pm
"My motto is cheap and built to stay that way" :))

I wanna be like Bill when I grow up. Seriously!

V70416
Jan-12-2020, 1:21pm
I have been fortunate enough to have met Bill and his "first" wife a couple times. I remember the big organic garlic braids he used to sell.
And a pickin party in Hillsboro.

Once owned an Old Wave mandolin,F-style, I purchased in a little town nearby Caballo. When I showed it to Bill he wanted to buy it,so I sold it to him. I didn't ask too many questions. I only had it for a few hours. That was decades ago.

The Hassle Family is a whole nother story.

Bill's driveway scared a year's growth outta me! If you go, make sure your brakes are good.

I have this recurring mental image of a sort of conga line of musicians playing "La Arboleda"...maybe just something from a dream.