PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky KM-1500 Fret Size and ....

Guitfiddle Mike
Dec-03-2019, 12:23pm
I just got my hands on a Kentucky KM-1500. Doing a little research I see where some folks like to have the teeny tiny frets replaced with larger ones. I even read where one of the builders of the master models in Japan suggested that someone have them replaced with "proper sized" frets. Any suggestions on what size to use? I'm still getting a feel this 1500 and don't necessarily have a problem with it just wondering what I might be missing. My Gibson Jam Master does have larger frets (and a wider nut).

Upon further inspection I was pleasantly surprised to find binding nibs on the fret ends (a feature I have come to appreciate from many years playing a Les Paul) . I would think one might be hard pressed to find someone to perform a refret while retaining the nibs on a mandolin.

Br1ck
Dec-03-2019, 1:44pm
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Someone is always going to state their preference for this or that.

Guitfiddle Mike
Dec-03-2019, 2:08pm
No, it's not broke but it is going to need a fret dressing before long in the cowboy chord area ( can I use that term with mandolins??? ) and I was just trying to prepare myself if the need did arise.

Pittsburgh Bill
Dec-03-2019, 3:56pm
Reference thread in "Builders & Repairs": KENTUCKY KM-950
My 950 has larger frets than my recently sold Collings. At first I didn't like them but with use I have come to like the larger frets very much.
I now have a new custom build on order and requested FW 37080 EVO Gold Banjo Fret on the new mando to replicate the fret size on my KM 950.