PDA

View Full Version : Any Madison WI jams?

reindoggy
Aug-15-2005, 5:03pm
I'm going to be training for about ten weeks in Madison. I'm wondering if there are any good jams which welcome newcomers. If not, I'm going to go nuts sitting in a motel room trying to plink quietly. I'm more into folk, rock, jazz and blues, but I'll try to fit in with any style. Thanks!

Reinal

Kelly_guy
Aug-15-2005, 5:16pm
Training on what?

There is a purported bluegrass jam at the Dry Bean, which is really more of a country and western jam. Fewer than half of the songs are really bluegrass at that jam. That is on Monday nights at 6:30. You get an hour of open jamming, then it becomes an open mic night for 2 hrs. Don't count on them opening up the jam again at 9:30 though, they'll let the open mic guys keep playing.

I gather there's a beginning jam on the same night somewhere on the east side, but it sounds like you're not a beginner. There are various other bluegrass jams in and around town, google "southern wisconsin bluegrass music association" and you'll find them. I think it is www.swbmai.org

There used to be gypsy jazz jams, but those didn't draw enough musicians, I guess. Other than that, I don't know of many jams. There's a blues open mic night at JT Whitney's on Tuesday nights, so if you have a good pickup on your mando, you could show up for that.

Message me and let me know where you're planning on jamming.

reindoggy
Aug-16-2005, 3:40pm
Kelly-

Thanks for the tips! Have you played these jams?

I believe I know where the Dry Bean is so I might try that in a couple of weeks. Maybe they'll appreciate a fiddle player, so I may have to drag that along, too. I like the idea of a blues jam, so I'll have to find JT Whitney and see if I can sit in with someone there. I'll check the Isthmus and Onion when I'm down there.
I really don't understand messaging, but pop me an email at rckunz13@yahoo.com, if you feel like it, and I'll try to get in touch.

generankin
Aug-18-2005, 2:11pm
Kelly-

Thanks for the tips! #Have you played these jams?

I believe I know where the Dry Bean is so I might try that in a couple of weeks. #Maybe they'll appreciate a fiddle player, so I may have to drag that along, too. #I like the idea of a blues jam, so I'll have to find JT Whitney and see if I can sit in with someone there. #I'll check the Isthmus and Onion when I'm down there.
I really don't understand messaging, but pop me an email at rckunz13@yahoo.com, if you feel like it, and I'll try to get in touch.
I've played the Dry Bean jam, and Kelly's right in his characterization of it. #There's often a loose multi-centric jam in the room off to the right of the main room. #

Up until last Monday there was a jam at Portal Music Cafe, but they're folding. #There'll be a new place, but it isn't set yet. #It is not a beginner's jam, for the level of musicianship is extremely high ... but they let me as a beginning mandolin player sit in & play rhythm and are polite enough to ask if I want to take breaks. #Fiddlers are scarce and will be welcome.

The JT Whitney's jam is variable, tends to be more open-mike-ish, but is not at all closed. #There are other blues jams in the area on other nights, and there's a square/folk dance thing Tuesday nights at 8:00 at Grace Episcopal Church which is right on the Square. #betcha a fiddler'd be very welcome there.

Mando Mark in Indy
Aug-18-2005, 4:46pm
Check out Harmonious Wail! Also find Randall Harrison...a long time Madison violinist/fiddler. Here's HM's web site. www.wail.com (http://www.wail.com)

Mark

P.S. Have a Plaza Burger at the Plaza Tavern off State Street for me!

steve V. johnson
Aug-19-2005, 2:33pm
Here's an Irish session in Madison, from the listings at TheSession.org:

Mickey's Tavern
1524 Williamson St., Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Wednesdays

I expect that you might be able to find other options and other players thru that web addr....

All the best, enjoy Madison,

stv

Kelly_guy
Aug-19-2005, 4:16pm
Mark is right, and shame on me for not mentioning Harmonious Wail! Sims plays fantastic gypsy swing mandolin, and the group is just plain tight. If they have a gig in your area, go see them. You won't regret it.

generankin
Aug-22-2005, 9:54am
[quote=reindoggy,Aug. 16 2005, 16:40]Kelly-

Thanks for the tips! #Have you played these jams?

I believe I know where the Dry Bean is so I might try that in a couple of weeks. #Maybe they'll appreciate a fiddle player, so I may have to drag that along, too. #I like the idea of a blues jam, so I'll have to find JT Whitney and see if I can sit in with someone there. #

Up until last Monday there was a jam at Portal Music Cafe, but they're folding. #There'll be a new place, but it isn't set yet. #It is not a beginner's jam, for the level of musicianship is extremely high ... but they let me as a beginning mandolin player sit in & play rhythm and are polite enough to ask if I want to take breaks. #Fiddlers are scarce and will be welcome.
[snip]

The Portal has closed and the jam's moved. #Will re-open Monday, August 29 at Fyfe's Corner Bistro on East Washington, about the 1300 block. #E-mail me off-list and we can discuss it, if you wish.

Gene Rankin

sboneill
Aug-22-2005, 2:54pm
I think there is one on the Ismis at the new pizza shop on Willy St. right near motha fools coffe house and Joly Bob's.

-S

babymedic
Sep-25-2005, 10:49pm
I would recommend the jam at the Electric Earth Cafe on W. Washington, a couple blocks from the capital. It's a bluegrass jam, but it's a pretty open group and I've heard them play just about everything. There's usually an Irish session at the Brocach pub on the Square on Sundays, but I haven't made it out there yet. Visit www.swbmai.org for more info on area jams/contact people.
Amy.

mikeyes
Sep-26-2005, 3:48pm
The Dry Bean tries hard, but they are not a bluegrass jam. As Red Henry says "you can imitaite bluegrass, but it is hard to play." The one (and last) time I went there it was like the Far Side's version of hell in which the classical conductor was handed his baton and in the next room was a banjo orchestra.

On the other hand the Portal Cafe jam was fun what little of it I got to see. In fact, I arrived just as it was over but the participants just sat in the next door laundromat with me and we jammed for an hour.

IF you want Irish music, check out Celtic Madison (http://celticmadison.org/music/#events) and if you are wide ranging, there is a pretty good jam in Appleton on the last Sunday of the month and several jams in Milwaukee (http://www.mabma.org/) although they may vary.

Mike Keyes
http://www.banjosessions.com/aug05/righthand.html

generankin
Sep-26-2005, 4:25pm
The Portal has closed and the jam's moved. #Will re-open Monday, August 29 at Fyfe's Corner Bistro on East Washington, about the 1300 block.

Fyfe's decided (without hearing a single note) that we'd be too loud for them. #As of the moment, there is no Monday jam in Madison other than the Dry Bean one discussed, but we'll get another going as soon as we have a place.

reindoggy
Sep-26-2005, 4:42pm
Amy-

When is the Electric Earth Cafe jam held?

I've been to the Dry Bean jam twice, have enjoyed myself and was treated kindly by all. That says a lot for it as I am no expert on bluegrass jams-- it was my first. There were certainly a wide range of styles and skill levels, but everyone seemed to have fun, and no one was embarrassed. It seems a good place to get your feet wet. I had the pleasure of meeting Kelly, who sings very well by the way.

I've talked to Gene, and , unfortunately, the Portal jam is still without a home as the Fyfe fell through. I am hoping to try some new venues in the next few weeks before my company stops paying me to visit Madison.

Oh yes, I did play an open stage with a friend of mine at the Brocach--Wednesday nights at @ 9:00-- and that was a very positive experience. It is led by a very talented singer and guitarist, Mark Kroft. Go see him.

Thanks everyone!
Reinal

babymedic
Sep-26-2005, 9:56pm
Electric Earth is usually on the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month at 8 p.m.. If you go, and you're staying downtown, I would recommend trying to walk, as parking can be very difficult in that area--it's between Bedford and Bassett, a right turn coming from the capital.

reindoggy
Sep-27-2005, 4:11pm
Drat the luck! I'm not there on Fridays.
Thanks anyway, Amy!

Reinal

Dedian
Sep-29-2005, 11:47am
Not to "hijack" the thread, but is there anything up around La Crosse, WI? I think there's some stuff in MN, but haven't heard too much for this area other than hoofing it to Madison http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

generankin
Oct-04-2005, 1:55pm
The Portal has closed and the jam's moved. #Will re-open Monday, August 29 at Fyfe's Corner Bistro on East Washington, about the 1300 block.

Fyfe's decided (without hearing a single note) that we'd be too loud for them. #As of the moment, there is no Monday jam in Madison other than the Dry Bean one discussed, but we'll get another going as soon as we have a place.
Well, the Monday night jam has been revived. Still at the Portal Music Cafe (under new management), still from ~6:00 to ~9:30. 310 South Brearly Street, 1/2 block north of Williamson Street.

Gene Rankin

reindoggy
Oct-08-2005, 9:17am
Gene-

I'll be planning on hitting the Portal, Monday. Hope to meet you there! I'll give a hollar.

I did make it to J T Whitney's last Tuesday. Even though the jam is advertised for 8:00, it didn't really start until @ 9:00, but that may have been unusual. The opening band of very tight and talented pick-up players was kind enough to let me burn a little rosin off my electric fiddle. I had a grand time.
Definitely bring an instrument that can be amplified. Many guitar players were hauling in their amps as I left, but I just plugged through my equalizer pedal into the board. Be prepared for the fast shuffles and lump-de-lumps. I worked up a serious sweat.

Reinal

reindoggy
Oct-30-2005, 9:16am
I just want to take a moment to thank everyone who gave me information about the Madison music scene. I had a blast playing with everyone! I would encourage everyone to go to the Portal Music Cafe jam on Mondays. The players there are really talented as well as kind to strangers who are bluegrass limited. While grass dominated the selections, Irish, swing, country and a few Beatles tune did pop-up. I did my best to keep-up with everyone and learned a lot. I was glad to meet Gene Rankin and Jim Nikoro(who blew me away with his knowledge and his playing) as well as Sebastian and the other players. Thanks again to Kelly for the Bean info. I hope to make it back to Madison soon.

Reinal

generankin
Nov-22-2005, 1:44pm

Well, the Monday night jam has been revived. #Still at the Portal Music Cafe (under new management), still from ~6:00 to ~9:30.
Ah, well, still more on this thread: the Portal Music Cafe has closed agaimn, this time (I hear) for good. Several of us are working on a new location, so the Monday night jam's now 'on hiatus' as they say.

Will post more when I know what's cooking.

Gene Rankin

generankin
Dec-01-2005, 1:38pm
[snip]
Ah, well, still more on this thread: #the Portal Music Cafe has closed agaimn, this time (I hear) for good. #Several of us are working on a new location, so the Monday night jam's now 'on hiatus' as they say.

Will post more when I know what's cooking.

I now know what's cooking: #this jam has relocated to the joint formerly known as the Wonder Bar, now known as The Bar Next Door (a former speakeasy, supposedly built by Capone's mob), located next to the Coliseum Bar at the intersection of Olin Avenue and John Nolen Drive.

6:00 to 10:00 every Monday, beginning on January 2, 2006.

Gene Rankin