PDA

View Full Version : Stradolins

mad dawg
Aug-15-2005, 11:13am
I was at a music store yesterday looking for something totally unrelated, and saw a Stradolin on the wall hanging on the wall that didn't have those "unique" s-holes with the dots that I have usually seen on Stradolins. Instead, it had almost standard looking f-holes, but stylized slightly differently. Its varnish was totally worn-off (or sanded off perhaps), so it had a really neat distressed/weathered look about it. It seemed to be in excellent shape, sounded pretty nice, and played well -- and if I wasn't married I might have taken it home as an impelse purchase.

Are there any fans out there of Stradolins? How do you like them, and are there many out there without those dotted s-holes?

Bob A
Aug-15-2005, 11:19am
Had one, eventually sold it to a mandoplayer wannabe. They're vg for the price. Some have laminated tops - look at the edge of the soundhole.

Eric F.
Aug-15-2005, 2:25pm
Same story as Bob. Had one, sold it. It was certainly the best $50 mandolin I've ever played.

8ch(pl)
Aug-15-2005, 3:25pm
I played an oval hole Strad-o-lin that was really nice. The only one I have seen that didn't have the segmented F holes.

metalmandolin
Aug-15-2005, 10:25pm
Those are very cool mandos...some quite loud as I remember. If I were spending $200.00 to $250.00, maybe even $300.00, they would be a contender.

Pete Martin
Aug-16-2005, 12:57am
I found one for my mom a few months ago, very good sounding mando, and it's a "Master Model". http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

If someone tells me how to add a pic, i'll post it.

WireBoy
Aug-16-2005, 3:23am
I have an Orpheum. its got those odd 's' holes with the flanking round holes just like a stradolin. #(i think it was the Epiphone of the Stradolin line) mine looks pretty old - lots of finish checking. #but it plays well and in tune and has a fun old timey sound.

JEStanek
Aug-17-2005, 8:12am
Paul Prestpintino played a Strad-o-Lin for Peter, Paul and Mary when I saw them in 2003. #You can see a photo of his gear at here. (http://www.peterpaulmary.com/tour/f-tour-spring.htm) He's playing a banjo about 2/3 down the page and the mando is by his right foot. He's the cat in the yellow over-y'alls.

Jamie

John Rosett
Aug-17-2005, 9:16am
a stradolin was my first mandolin, and i've always wanted another one. it was a sweet little box. i guess i want a pair of yellow, waterproof pants now, too.

John Rosett
Aug-17-2005, 4:23pm
a stradolin was my first mandolin, and i've always wanted another one. it was a sweet little box. i guess i want a pair of yellow, waterproof pants now, too.