PDA

View Full Version : Oscar-Schmidt Stella

mcarufe
Mar-14-2004, 12:00am
I came across a very old Stella (Sorry I can't post pics). It has 38 staves, very nice floral inlay pic gard. Old style tuners with the plate that hides the gears that work very well after a clean and tweek. Reset bridge and this baby rings and sings. Very playable neck. Has a fine but stable crack from tail toward bridge but not beyond. Has original case. I was most impressed with the bowl and how nice the stave work was. Looks to be all original had four very old strings when I found her. Has 11 03 stamped inside on one of the braces behind the face. I searched all over and asked around but the only info I got that it was built before late 30s before Harmony took over stella. Does anyone know anything about this old girl?
Mike

Eugene
Mar-15-2004, 11:30am
Pre-Harmony is certainly true. #You are also correct about it being assembled by Jersey City's Oscar Schmidt shop. #There is a small bit of similar discussion underway here (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=6;t=12905). #Many of Oscar Schmidt's Stella brand bowlback mandolins had a faux scratchplate painted or decal-ed onto the soundboard, especially the excessively floral ones; I personally would avoid any without a proper inlaid celluloid pickguard. #Top cracks aren't ordinarily an issue unless severe. #I would probably still look into getting it repaired before it becomes severe.

These old bowlbacks were built for a very different breed of string than those popularized by bluegrass. #Heavy strings can potentially wreck the neck and the table's cant in short order. #Make sure you keep only the lightest strings available on it, down to 0.009"-0.0095" on e": e.g., GHS's "Classical" set, Dean Markley and Ernie Ball both have appropriate sets now, Black Diamond's newly resurrected imitation of their period strings, Mari's silver plated set, or (my favorite) Dogal's "Calace" brand carbon steel set RW-92b. #Lenzner also makes very fine bronze-wound strings, but there is no easy source for them in the US. #

In any case, enjoy! #What material are you playing on this, Mike?

Eugene
Mar-16-2004, 12:23pm
I just looked at this post again. For some reason, "38 staves" went right by me without notice at first read. Sporting a full 38 ribs constitutes a fairly fancy American mandolin. I don't think I've ever seen so many ribs from the OS shop. I'd love to see a few pictures. Are you sure you can't post?

mcarufe
Mar-16-2004, 12:48pm
I have GHS ultra lightest strings and the pickguard is definatly inlay not a print. Someday I will get a pic up for you to see. Thanks you guys are great. What a resource and contribution you all make.
Mike

mcarufe
Mar-17-2004, 8:07pm
Eugene,
The pics on that former thread look nothing lik this one. Again, please allow me to thank you for that information. This one has the tuners that are the older style. I play some old traditional italian tunes. I especially like to play Godfather theme when my daughter brings home a new boy freind. You see the mandolina can be most intimiDATING!!!!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif