PDA

View Full Version : Eastman inconsistencies

chinamando
Aug-13-2005, 9:59pm
Just out of curiosity, does anyone else have an eastman mandolin with the combination sunburst-classic varnish? #I haven't seen any (on the internet or around IN) that has the varnish sunburst finish. #All of the other ones seem to be only sunburst(laquer?) or classic varnish look.

I've also noticed inconsistencies within each model (thus making each mandolin truly one of a kind!) sometimes they'll have gold instead of nickel hardware or vice-versa, or bound f-holes versus non-bound in the same model line, etc. #What other differences have you Eastman owners/enthusiasts all noticed?

My Eastman serial number is MD-615 #109
(Sorry about no polishing it first before taking the picture...)

RichM
Aug-13-2005, 10:10pm
Yup, there are a lot of variations. Ones that I've seen:

- when I bought my 615, it was the first time I'd seen an Eastman 600-level instrument with bound f-holes. I've seen a few other since.
- there was a 515 at Mandolin Brothers a few months ago that had gorgeous flame-- not the kind of stuff you'd expect on the entry-level instrument
-My 504 has both back-binding and a bound peghead-- something 500-level instruments are not supposed to have

One of the nice things about the Eastmans is that the higher end instruments always have really pretty maple in the backs-- but some of the lower-end instruments have them, too.

RichM
Aug-13-2005, 10:14pm
By the way, I really like the finish on your 615! I've never seen that one before, but it's almost a faded leather kind of thing-- very classy and really nice.

chinamando
Aug-13-2005, 10:17pm
thanks Rich, I feel like every Eastman, especially mine, is one of a kind...you can't tell from the picture and since it was taken under flash, not natural light, it doens't show it's true beauty...it's browns are richer and a little darker, yet under sunlight it shimmers with red sparkles in a robust manner; and it's a gentle sunburst with flame.

Enjoy your Eastmans also, ever feel like you're a part of a family owning an Eastman?

Darren Kern
Aug-13-2005, 10:55pm
chinamando, I agree with Rich, I love the finish on your Eastman. I'm going to start building soon, and that color of burst is what I hope to somewhat duplicate. I like it because it's not too dark to see the wood grain on the edges. Any chance you could post back and side pics? Thanks http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

chinamando
Aug-13-2005, 11:12pm
thanks hydrilla,
I wish you could see it in person as pictures NEVER do justice. BTW I love the art deco look on Eastman's tailpieces.
Here's the back: (oh by the way I really respect those who build their own instruments) and next up: buying a new camera!

Darren Kern
Aug-13-2005, 11:30pm
Thanks man, looks it looks great! I used to prefer the really tight flame figure, but now I think I'm starting to like the wider, ummm... wish I knew what they were called- lines, I guess, like yours has.

chinamando
Aug-14-2005, 12:20am
yeah, I used to love the 3d effect on the highly flamed backs; even owned an MK dragonfly with all the inlaid vines; but I've since grown up a little (in about a week http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif ) and went with the vintage, warm, classy and simple look. #I like the looser flame pattern now, but that's my taste-it looks more like...how really mellow and smooth whiskey or bourbon on the rocks swirls around, or an aged tobacco leaf, or fine aged leather, or crushed silk, or folded chocolate...ummm...silky chocolate...I can go on and on!

JEStanek
Aug-14-2005, 12:38am
I have a morgan monroe with vine inlay neck and maybe I'm just too new to mando but the fret board is so busy I get lost...

Duh
I prefer the simplicity of the dots on my JOhnson and Eastman... Guess which one I like more???

Jamie