PDA

View Full Version : Collings MF & MT - V - MF5 & MT2 ?

Gaelen
Aug-13-2005, 6:11am
I am at the moment contemplating a second Mandolin.

I have been playing for just over 2 years (playing Guitar for about 20 and still do) and would like to get another Mandolin to go with my 1936 Gibson A1.

I don't know wether to go for another vintage one or a new one ?

I have always liked the none cosmetic models and was set to buy a Gibson F9 first time around but was warned off by quite a respected local luthier/player.

So people, what in your vast collective experience is the difference if any in the tone/quality/longevity etc etc etc....... between the cosmetic models and the very plain ones bar of course in my case lots of £££££££'s

Burner
Aug-13-2005, 9:46am
That new MF5 varnish looks rather nice. I'll have to make do with my MT which is very nice but if I happened to have a wheelbarrow full of money the varnish it would be!

PhilGE
Aug-13-2005, 12:21pm
I think I actually got to hold one of the MF5's w/varnish when I visited Collings about a month ago. Very, very, very (insert several more) nicely finished instrument. However, one could puchase a few less expensive, custom built high quality instruments for the same price. Why put all your eggs in one basket, or maybe, why put all your $$$ (or is that £££) into one egg?

TeleMark
Aug-14-2005, 3:00pm
I played the one at Buffalo Brothers a couple of months ago, and it was nice, butI liked the normal version more. Maybe after a while for seasoning/opening it would be better, but the price difference was significant for a "maybe."

John Rosett
Aug-14-2005, 6:44pm
i think that the difference between the MT2 and the plain, satin finished MT are only cosmetic. if anything, i think the satin finished mandolins sound alittle better. i have a MT, and it's a really good sounding mandolin. it's too bad you can't give the cedar-topped weber bearpaw that greg boyd has a try. if i had it to do over, that's the one i'd get. if you can do without the binding and inlay, all of the plain, satin-finished mandos (gibson, collings, prucha, and weber)are a great deal.

250sc
Aug-15-2005, 7:03am
I have a MT and believe it has a sitka top, not adirondack. I haven't played a bad one yet but have played a couple of 'special' ones. (mine is just good not special but it sure doesn't hold me back)

Big Joe
Aug-15-2005, 9:11am
If your luthier warned you off an F9, you might want to find another luthier. Try a few out and you might be surprised. Lot of mando for the buck.

JimW
Aug-15-2005, 9:29am
I'm with Big Joe here, if it's bluegrass you play and that's the sound you're looking for, you'd be doing yourself a real favor it you played a few F9's before making a decision.

mandoJeremy
Aug-15-2005, 11:14am
I have played some excellent F-9's myself and was very impressed with them. #I would also give them a try for yourself and not let someone tell you what to buy or not buy. #It's all up to your ears and fingers.

250sc
Aug-15-2005, 11:29am
Even though I bought an MT I agree with the last 3 posts. You should try an A9, F9 and everything else you can get your hands on.

Gaelen
Aug-15-2005, 11:49am
I think I had better put "warned off" into context before it causes consternation.

When I say "warned off" he said that in his opinion the F9 and A9 were economy models and not a patch on buying a vintage Gibson A or A1 etc etc which were not intended as such when they were made.

I hasten to add I did not buy my Mandolin from him or one of his friends, his general advice was very useful when I was starting out as was this site.

There is a 1968 F12 with a fishman pickup for sale some distance from me for about $3000.00 anyone an opinion on those ?

In all my instrumnets I prefer to be able to see the wood if possible.

Jim M.
Aug-15-2005, 11:59am
The F9 and A9 may be Gibson's economy model, but the ones I have played have sounded better, looked better, and are probably better built than any '60s Gibson. I think you can get a great mando with the F9 and A9, especially used. I also think Collings makes great mandos, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the MT or MF.

250sc
Aug-15-2005, 1:22pm
The 60s weren't very good for Gibson mandos but I hear some nice ones exist. Try before you buy.

Philip Halcomb
Aug-17-2005, 4:11pm
I have owned a F9 for a few years now and man that thing really sings. I've recently bought another mando, a Sargent F5 that is worth much more than the F9 and sounds very much like a Loar. The F9 still hangs in there with that mandolin without any problems. A F9 setup well and played for awhile sounds just fine.

250sc
Aug-18-2005, 7:02am
While at a festival last weekend I had the opportunity to hear quit a few mandos and didn't hear one that didn't work, tonally, in the context of the music. (There were some tuneing issues though)

They all sounded different but they all worked fine.

PatrickH
Aug-18-2005, 4:04pm
I have an MF with a great woody tone that I think is a better sound than some MF5's that I have played. Not a classic hollow bluegrass tone but good overall tone. My MT also sounds better than some MT2's I have heard. I also have a Nugget/Collings Tim O'Brien with a load, sweet bell-like tone that I really like. I've never played another Nugget but I would think it is a Nugget type tone. It is very different from any MT or MT2 I have heard.

Every instrument is different I think.

9lbShellhamer
Oct-26-2015, 5:32pm
Bumping this thread up...

Any direct insight on specifically the MT2 vs the MF5?

Mandobar
Nov-16-2015, 4:19pm
Not your average MT2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkozysVhfTg