PDA

View Full Version : 1918 f4

Darryl Wolfe
Sep-12-2019, 12:08pm
Here are some photos of an F4 I got a few months back. Also included is a rare case I just got from a Café member

I apologize for the orientation stuff, it's an iPhone. Maybe Scott will be nice enough to fix it, I cannot

John Bertotti
Sep-12-2019, 12:12pm
Wow, I love it! But I do have a thing for oval hole mandolins.

CES
Sep-12-2019, 1:06pm
Gorgeous!

Tom C
Sep-12-2019, 2:31pm
Wow. Practically looks new. Was the head stock scroll repaired at one time? ....Just a little inclusion or something a may see.

MikeZito
Sep-12-2019, 3:24pm
Was the head stock scroll repaired at one time? .....

I am certainly no expert - but to me it looks like normal 100 year old wear, accentuated by uneven lighting . . .

Beautiful, nonetheless - thanks for sharing.

JEStanek
Sep-12-2019, 3:35pm
Very nice!

Jamie

Charles E.
Sep-12-2019, 3:39pm
Beautiful! Huh, if you click on the image twice it it puts it in the correct perspective.

lenf12
Sep-12-2019, 4:47pm
Wow Darryl, that is a jaw dropping gorgeous mandolin and the back shot took my breath away. Is it possibly refreshed with an excellent french polishing? Just curious...

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

doc holiday
Sep-12-2019, 5:16pm
They don't come prettier than that. And that case is the ne-plus-ultra! Icing on the cake.

yankees1
Sep-12-2019, 7:35pm
Looks great ! Sitting around the house I prefer the oval sound !

Mandobar
Sep-12-2019, 7:48pm
You don’t see many backs like that.

yankees1
Sep-12-2019, 7:54pm
You don’t see many backs like that.

Yes, beautiful back !

Darryl Wolfe
Sep-13-2019, 9:47am
The are no repairs to the instrument. The pickguard is one of my replacements. As to it being "refreshed/French polished". This is an enigma. The mandolin bears a 1925-ish finish, but is of 1918 construction. I'm not flatly stating that it was not refinished, but I see no evidence anywhere. Additionally, the original pickguard that I replaced and bridge are 1925 vintage.

Also, the handwriting on the label for the serial number is of the small "roundy" looking numbers that the 1925 person doing it used.

So, the m ore I study these instruments, the less I become inclined to used the typical phrase "sent back to the factory and 1925 and..." I find myself far more inclined to believe many instruments (mostly slow selling higher end ones) laid around in-the-white and were finished on a case by case basis as an order came in.

I have no proof though. But, the original case and the tuners are not 1925 vintage, so, go figure. Maybe the pegholes were drilled already and they had to use the older tuners (there is a spacing difference). Maybe the case was changed along the way. There is no way to tell.

Also, what appealed to me about this mandolin is the 1925 finish. The finest sunbursts were done in this period. That combined with the double flowerpot is kind of breathtaking

Yes, one piece back too

Jeff Mando
Sep-13-2019, 10:16am
A real beauty, Darryl! Interesting analysis of the 1925 style details, as well.

Skip Kelley
Sep-23-2019, 7:25pm
Darryl, that F4 looks awesome! I love that case too! Congratulations!!

HoGo
Sep-24-2019, 7:52am
Nice catch! Doesn't appear to be refinished. Most refinishes done by Gibson were darker to hide any old stain spots and the binding height looks unaltered.
Is the bridge original to the mandolin? Is the case shorter than F-5 case?

Darryl Wolfe
Sep-24-2019, 10:38am
Nice catch! Doesn't appear to be refinished. Most refinishes done by Gibson were darker to hide any old stain spots and the binding height looks unaltered.
Is the bridge original to the mandolin? Is the case shorter than F-5 case?

I agree on the assessment of the finish. I see no evidence of refinish. The bridge and pickguard appear to be original to the mandolin. There are no marks from a shorter smaller solid bridge. Note: the guard is one of my repros, but the original was a straight edged, 1925 style screw on bracket type guard. The bracket shown here is the original.

The case is not original to the mandolin, and yes it is much shorter than an F5.

sgarrity
Sep-24-2019, 10:53am
That is stunning!

William Smith
Sep-24-2019, 2:25pm
There is another 1919 with the same finish on Reverb right now? Looks the same to me anyway as Darryl's? I'll try a link?

https://reverb.com/item/27708393-gibson-f4-mandolin-1919-sunburst

Darryl Wolfe
Sep-26-2019, 9:37am
There is another 1919 with the same finish on Reverb right now? Looks the same to me anyway as Darryl's? I'll try a link?

https://reverb.com/item/27708393-gibson-f4-mandolin-1919-sunburst

You may be correct there. I can't see the texture in any photos, but the color is there

William Smith
Sep-26-2019, 10:41am
Yes it looks exactly the same to me Darryl, I think this confirms that some instruments hung around in the white and were finished later! This is just one example I found comparing to your fine 1918 F-4! I'm sure there are many more. And I agree it is more than likely the higher end/cost wise instruments like the F-4's thru the 5's? Its all very interesting in comparing these old Gibson's, and I still think even with the F-5's they have to be looked at in a new light as many early Ferns I believe have Loar parts such as tuners/other hardware, peg head overlays, tops, even necks-look at Jimmy G's Fern serial #84270 with the FON# 9140, that has a 3 piece neck-now tell me if that isn't an early 22 Loar neck that hung around? And this is a later # than say my early Fern#83793 with the same FON# 9140? I mentioned this stuff in the forum posts "Loar Photo of the Day-thread"

So I believe with these things one has to really look at each one as dates are up in the air I think even with the serial#'s and FON#'s, some Ferns have a light lacquer like mine then in the same batch they get heavier later on with a wavy type finish then I think in 1929 they came out with the standard thicker finish "Tony Williamson told me this" So in 29 onward they have the more uniform thicker lacquer. I love this stuff!

jimmy powells
Oct-21-2019, 9:57am
The back is as good as it gets I reckon. To quote Elvis , this is Darryl Wolfe's 'Latest flame'.

Love it. I'm in Uk and looking for an F4. Trevor has one but prefer the older ones 1914-1918. If anyone knows of one for sale please let me know.

Joey Anchors
Oct-26-2019, 7:40pm
Such a gorgeous mandolin! I hope it sounds as amazing as it looks. :disbelief: